Thread: CFE223 Powder in 308 load variation

Basic Member

CFE223 Powder in 308 load variation

I am really new to reloading but I've done a lot of reading on load variation between different loading manuals. From my reading the only manual I've heard that has load data for cfe223 in 308 win. is the Hornady 9th edition.
    Hornady lists a starting load of 38.3gr for a 165gr bullet at 2100fps which to me is really light but as I said I'm new to this and a max load of 47.2gr at 2700fps. Hodgdon lists a starting load of 45.4gr at 2649fps and a max load of 48.3 at 2829fps. The Hornady manual doesn't list pressure info but Hodgdon lists the max load of 48.3 at 61,500psi.
    Now I loaded a couple rounds at 42.7gr at a listed velocity of 2400fps (I know it'll be different depending on a few things but I have no chrono.). I didn't crimp the rounds either (from reading that'll effect velocity).
    I fired one of these rounds and stopped because I wasn't even sure it exited the barrel. (I couldn't tell where it hit in the backstop) I ejected the case and it was still cold which I've never had happen. I checked it with a mic and it is still the same as FL sized also. So from this info I gather that this is a really light load.
    I was wondering if anyone is or has used the CFE223 powder for 165gr bullets out of a 308. With my starting load at 42.7gr the powder is pretty close to the neck and I really don't want to get into compressed loads. I'm just wanting some reasonably accurate deer loads for ranges of 20-200yrds using 165gr Nosler BT bullets.
    Thanks in advance for any info and sorry for the long post just wanted to get as much info as I could.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The rifle is an Axis heavy barrel also if that helps any.

There is plenty of CFE data on Hodgdon's website.

Don't get caught-up on the charge weight in grains as any sort of concrete, or un-changing thing. Focus on the velocity, per charge weight. You'll notice that each bottle of powder tells you to "Drop loads 10% when switching lots". That is because of normal lot variations and the multitude of things that change burning rates. That normal and shifting burning rate, is why you can't look at the pressure number(if listed) and expect to duplicate it. Powders don't burn smoothly and linearly as you increase pressures. Most change along the pressure curve to some extent. The most basic thing to remember is this: If you match book velocity you have matched, or exceeded book pressures; regardless of what the charge weight is. Most good data gets fired in pressure barrels which will have tighter tollerances than factory rifles. Mo pressure, Mo speed.

Don't worry a ton about a compressed load, unless you REALLY compress it. The burning rate won't shift much, and if you are running a large jump to the lands that will further bleed pressure.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. I'm not planning on running any max loads so I should be safe with the pressures anyway.
    I must be looking in the wrong place on Hodgdon website because I only see the start and max load for 308. If you could link me to what you were looking at I'd appreciate it.
    I'm thinking about going to a more widely used powder for the 308 and maybe using the cfe223 in my AR-15 loads. This powder doesn't seem to be too popular in the 308 win. and looking at various loads people have posted on forums is confusing also because there is such a wide range of loads used even over Hodgdon and Hornady max loads.

Basic Member
    These are the loads for 165-168gr bullets from Hodgdon. One of the 168 grain loads is for a TTSX bullet which is a all copper bullet.

Hodgdon has 2 different loads for 165 and 168 bullets but Hornady lists the 2 together.

You missed the greater point. No one listed lot numbers of the load data they provided. So simply copying the charge weight won't copy the pressure. Velocity measurements will tell you where you are in terms of pressure. Looking at, or measuring cases, won't.

CFE is a wonderful powder for the 308, but everything from the original 846 family has been.

Basic Member
    Ok I get that velocities will tell me where I am with pressure it's just that I've never had a case still be cold after firing.
    So as long as the bullet doesn't stay in the barrel and there are no pressure signs on the brass I should be ok?

It's not uncommon for a first fire. Don't look for "signs" on the brass. The best thing it will tell you, is that you blew it up; but nothing more.

From the Pressure Testing we've done, unless you have Federal brass that had a soft case head; "Signs" typically show-up once you are around the 75,000 psi range.

So if you can't measure velocity, find accuracy within published data an carry-on. Stay a couple grains below listed max, unless you can chrono.

Basic Member
    Oh dang 75,000psi is a lot of pressure. I'll keep the loads below max as much as possible. Hopefully I can find an accurate load on the lower side.
    Thanks for your guidance I was a little nervous about reloading at first but I'm getting more comfortable.

Basic Member
    I finally found some more good brass so I can hopefully find a good load and have enough deer rounds to last me quite awhile.
    Is $15 decent for 100 unprocessed once fired brass?

Sounds reasonable, for military stuff.

Basic Member
    Most of it is Lake City LR and PPU.
    Anyway I appreciate the info thanks again.

Basic Member
    Don't know about the PPU stuff but the Lake City LR brass is top notch if you are getting once fired. It will have been fired from a bolt gun and uses no primer crimp to deal with.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    That's what I've read and it is once fired. I've been reading good stuff about PPU too.