Thread: 12FV build in 6.5 Creedmoor

fastex500

12FV build in 6.5 Creedmoor

Finally got everything coated and tested, so thought I would take a moment and share the build. I have built a few savage rifles in 308 and 223, but after shooting long range matches and getting spanked by 6.5 shooters I drank the KoolAid and jumped in.

-Action started life as a 12FV in 308 from Cabela's. Stripped it down to just the action, trigger and bolt.
    -Picked up a Boyds pro-varmit adjustable from the classifieds here. Inletting done by myself for DBM
    -PTG stealth bottom metal, recesses for trigger
    -CBI 22" barrel spun by Apache, purchased thru MyAccurateBarrel. Sendero contour, 1-8 twist, 5/8x24 muzzle
    -Stainless barrel nut and recoil lug from MyAccurateBarrel
    -Muzzle brake- 3port from Ross Schuler (REALLY fast shipping and great brake)
    -Weaver 20moa base
    -ADM SL 1 piece mount (probably changing to low rings if I keep the Razor on it)
    -Vortex Razor HD 5-20

Stock was pillar and skim bedded, I opened up the lug area and re-bedded. Will also be bedding the DBM at some point. Rattlecan coating using Duplicolor low gloss black ceramic engine paint. Timed the brake on my mini lathe. Ran rosso thru the barrel and cleaned well, ran 10 rounds for break in, 1 shot-clean for 5, then 5 shots clean. No issues so far running Hornady 140 ELD factory ammo.... looks promising.

And yes, the trim in the background isn't glued yet... in the middle of remodel at the office :)

Last 4 rounds after a scope adjustment from rear bag and bipod.
    Last edited by fastex500; 08-07-2016 at 09:34 AM.

Nice build.

As for the trim - priorities my man, priorities!
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Nice work and darn good shooting.

fastex500
    Thanks guys! And yes, priorities are build, shoot, remodel

Also, forgot to mention the bipod. It is a Tip Top 6-9" pivot and tilt model. I have to say I am very impressed with it! I have some Caldwell, Harris and Atlas bipods and this is better built that the Calwell or Harris and is darn close to as nice as the Atlas, just doesn't have the range of adjustment. Plus they are a lot less expensive than either Harris or Atlas.

Basic Member
    Great looking build ave a stock in that same olive color and it looks great on my 308. Awesome shooting by the way that's one nice looking group.

Great job with the stock. I thought it was a manners at first. I had to reread your post to see it was a Boyd's.

Basic Member
    Nice job and a shooter. How did you index the brake to the barrel? Thanks

fastex500
    The brake was indexed by chucking it in my lathe and shaving off the back side of the brake where it meets the shoulder of the barrel until it lined up. If you know how to measure and know your thread pitch, you can get pretty close the first cut and then just fine tune until it lines up. If you don't have a lathe, you can get split washers to time it. Also a little adjustment to the brake to blend it to the barrel diameter makes it look smooth. Props to Ross as he will blend it for you!

Basic Member
    i was thinking of building a 6.5 creedmoor also, same barrel brand and twist, curious why only a 22"

Chet

fastex500
    Chet, I went 22" for practicality. It will be carried around in a Eberlestock X3 and also have a 7" suppressor on the end of it. I almost went 20" but didn't want to tempt the velocity gods too much.