Thread: Bass Pro advertising RPR for $1099 Aug. 12-28

Basic Member

Bass Pro advertising RPR for $1099 Aug. 12-28

As much as we all love our Savages, this ad caught my eye simply because these are hard to find actually sitting on the shelves. They're advertising only the 308 caliber model with 20 inch barrel.

With apologies to Mr. Furious

Banned
    Bad boy, no biscuit.

Basic Member
    BURN him at the stake!
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Link to ad, please.

Basic Member
    Wouldn't all that "chassis" stuff be waisted on a 20" 308 ? :-((

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianasavage View Post
    Link to ad, please.
    Sorry for the omission, but had to do some research to find the link. The advertiser arrived in the daily newspaper. Turns out that the prices and availability in the flyer apply to the local store only. Sorry 'bout that. Didn't read the fine print.

Here's the link; http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...oreID=99&tab=3

Just page through the ad that says "fall hunting classic".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    Wouldn't all that "chassis" stuff be waisted on a 20" 308 ? :-((
    Good question, Conch. All I can tell you is that I had the chance to shoot a brand new one (6.5 CM) at the local range. By the fourth or fifth round down the barrel, it started putting bullets on top of each other at 100 yds. But it was a very well equipped example. Night force scope, brake and a suppressor. It was just sic.

Basic Member
    The 6.5 CM is another story. And I think RPR suggests long range?

At 100yds, My 250 Savage can put them on top of each other. And it's a sporter barrel sitting in a Stocky's Thumbhole stock. Cost way less than $1,100 to build, including scoped. And a lot prettier than that "terminator" chassis thing. Heck, almost all of my stuff is boringly accurate enough that I hardly ever shoot at 100yds. I zero in at 25 and I'm on paper at 200. I'm not impressed with 100yd groups unless they start with .01xx, and those will be shot by someone other than Me. Anything that looks like and is named RPR should not brag about anything less than 1,000yds. The 6.5CM can do that. But we all know the 308 is getting tired after 900yds, especially with a 20" tube.

Hey Brother, I'm not bustin on anyone here. I just think an RPR in that configuration deserves to be sold at a reduced price. And it's not enough to entice Me to defect from Savage ;-))

The 308, and Creed don't actually loose much speed with a 20" pipe. The 308 isn't "Tired" at 900, unless using an unstable 168gr. But the trajectory is rather Rainbow-esque. As long as I don't botch the wind calls, you can take it to a mile with good success.

ANyone wanting a RPR, should jump over to Shootersforum. A member there is selling his Creed(60 rounds fired) for $950
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    The word "tired" was borrowed from German Salazar. And of course, He shows us "how" to go past 900yds with a 308Win. But I suspect that the guy next to us shooting the 6.5 Creedmore will have the advantage at 1,760yds? :-)

Basic Member
    Saw a "different" looking chassis mounted bolt action in the hands of an obvious new shooter last Sunday, so it couldn't have been something he'd built. Monday I get an advertiser from Cabelas, and in it is a Weatherby VGD Modular Chassis Bolt Action Rifle for $1099.99, and recognized it as what I'd seen at the range. Looks a lot like a Savage.

Looked all over the web and couldn't find a blog reviewing the Weatherby. As far as I was could tell, it's offered in 223 and 308 only.

My son in law just bought the new savage in the chassis in 6.5 creedmore. He likes it. It is not light though. Fit and finish are pretty good for mass produced rifles.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!