Thread: Firing pin / Light primer strike issues

Firing pin / Light primer strike issues

I am experiencing ignition issues with a new to me 110. I am using hand loaded ammo (30-06) This same ammo has been used by 3 other shooters without issue, so for now I will submit that ammo is not the issue.
    This is a somewhat newer 110 with a bottom bolt release. I purchased this rifle used, without a barrel. I then installed a Savage factory takeoff 30-06 barrel. I installed the barrel in the same manner I always have with many other Savage rifles with the barrel nut arrangement.
    Last week i made my first range visit for a sight in. No issues at all until about the 10th round. Click but no boom. Pulled the round and noticed the very light primer dimple. I reloaded the same round and tried again and got it to go. After several more rounds happened again. About 16 rounds in i could no longer get any rounds to ignite.
    I checked for obvious issues, starting with ammo.
    I am pretty well experienced making hand loads but checked primer seating depth and shoulder setback. All rounds and the ones that would not ignite were well within tolerance.
    Next step was to recheck headspace with the gauges. I did find a small bit of tape residue on the head of the go gauge. I repeated the spacing procedure and did notice the barrel had rotated slightly tighter. Reassamble and madesome.rounds up with just primers. Tested 20 and all fired with no light strikes.
    Back to the range yesterday and 6 shots in had another light strike. 2 rounds later had another. I was abke to finish my sight in but now I am ready to find my issue. Obvious culprit firing pin and spring, possible adjustment issue?
    This is where i lack knowledge and experience with Savage rifles. What do i check, adjust and test?
    Isnthere something I may have missed?
    I did notice that the rounds that did go still had light primer dimples. Evidently I'm right on that hairy edge...
    Open to ideas and criticisms... help me understand !

Banned
    I doubt you have an adjustable FP. All 110’s started using the new style, non adjustable FP as of 2019. But maybe.. It’s worth a look. Remove Bolt, trip the firing pin & have a look at the tip. Should have FP protrusion of .035”-.045”. Could also be your spring… especially if it’s new style. The old spring have TONS of force. I’m actually using a lighter spring with no issues for my old style FP. (But then mine is completely customs!)

Basic Member
    You have probably already done this but, while you have the bolt apart check for burs, rough spots on the firing pin and bolt body. also a good cleaning might help.

I would guess the spring should be 1 piece ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220724_133521.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	8564

Quote Originally Posted by Highbrass View Post
    I would guess the spring should be 1 piece ?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220724_133521.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	194.2 KB 
ID:	8564
    This is a 2 piece spring the washer goes between the springs.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.