Thread: Bullet Damage from Seating Die

Basic Member

Bullet Damage from Seating Die

Anybody seen this before? Tonight I decided to load some 143 ELD-X bullets into my 6.5x47L. I'm using a Whidden seater die and it is deforming the bullet. It does not cause any problems on my Berger 130 hybrid or 140 VLD. Nor does my Redding die cause any issues on the bullet when loading them into my 6.5x284.

Basic Member
    You probably have a stem designed for VLD profile bullets. If you call Whiddn I'm sure they can confirm and possibly have a stem the would better suit the ELD bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LongRange
    the only time ive seen that is on hunting bullets with a VERY compressed load but a few other things that will cause that...

1-like LW said the wrong seating stem
    2-to much neck tension
    3-not chamfering the inside necks
    4-new brass loaded directly outta the box...see 2 & 3

schnyd112
    I have seen the 7mm accubond long range bullets do the same thing loaded for my uncles .280 in freshly annealed brass. He said they still shoot fine, just Look bad.

I Have never seen it/read about it on the eld-x though. May be defective bullets. Should probably send them to me and I will safely dispose of them.

I have noticed that there is a lot of friction, when seating bullets in freshly annealed brass.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    For some clarification:

There's no powder in the case as I was simply trying to figure out seating depth.

After measuring some empty cases and loaded cases, the neck tension appears to be about .002.

I am loading into new Lapua cases. I'll run a few through the sizer die and chamfer them and see if that makes a difference.

I do think the biggest contributing factor may be the seating stem, as I have no problems with the Berger VLD.

Oddly enough, I just ran into the same problem seating 230gr XTP's in Winchester brass that was sized with a Dillion F/L die.

Basic Member
    Last night I resized and chamfered all of my brass. This helped the issue, but did not completely eliminate it.

I talked to Whidden this morning. The guy I talked to was very nice and explained that the ELD-X has a very thin and soft jacket on the nose of the bullet. He said they've been building a new seating stem that has a polymer insert that has been working well. He is going to send me one.

I just spray some case lube on the bullets before seating them, and that eliminated the problem.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    A few months ago I tried to seat some 105 Hornady match with my Wilson seater. I tried both my std stem and the VLD stem and the marks were horrible at least twice as bad as your pic. I then used a RCBS seating die and not a sign of a mark, I figured because the case is being pushed at a stationary bullet rather than all the force being applied to the bullet nose trying to push it into the case. Let us know how the polymer insert works as I would like to use my Wilson seater but I don't know what its going to take to make it work.

Basic Member
    I received my new seating stem on Monday and finally had a chance to seat a few bullets with it this morning. So far it is working great with no marring of the bullet tip.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    I just spray some case lube on the bullets before seating them, and that eliminated the problem.

Dean
    Not sure that lube on the bullet idea will help with consistent groups. i think it's a neck tension issue, i have been down this road, and i solved any neck tension issues with a floating .223 or .2234 mandrel, i run the mandrel thru my brass after full sizing, i don't use the mandrel step on neck sizing

chet

Basic Member
    I use a floating mandrel on my 243. The only thing it can be is neck tension causing my marks. Looks like I'll have to get a Redding bushing die to really lighten up the tension. archer, can you describle the new stem you got or post a picture? Thanks.

Basic Member
    The new seater stem is the one with the polymer tip.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the picture archer. I'm going to get a hold of Wilson to see if they offer anything like this.

SidecarFlip
    John Whidden runs a class operation. They build all my custom dies for me.