Thread: The new wife's 6BR

Basic Member

The new wife's 6BR

So I've been collecting and building the Mrs a rifle for our wedding as a gift, and I'm nearing completion. I finally showed her the parts I've gotten for her, since the stock showed up from Richard's Microfit and the day was almost on us. Honestly, the stock looked like a beaver helped with some of the work, but after enough time with some sand paper, some blocks and dowels and it was good.

The specs are as follows:
    Savage 111 flat back
    Microfit purple sapphire marksmen stock
    Whidden v block
    Timney trigger
    EGW 20 MOA base
    Burris signature rings
    X caliber 6mm BR barrel
    Northland shooters nut and lug
    Sightron 36x 1/8 moa dot glass

After I finished sanding the stock, I put a sanding sealer on the stock and took photos, put it up on our gift table for the wedding and got many amazing complements on it. The stock won't accept the width of the receiver currently, but hopefully tomorrow I will be able to visit my father and we will mill it out for the v block, then the Mrs and I will epoxy it in, tape everything off again, one more coat of sanding sealer then some automotive top clear and we'll be off to the range. She is extremely excited about this and will probably end up out shooting me, but that's the goal.

After we decide it's perfect, I plan on duracoating it a metallic finish. Here's where we are at.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The new wife's 6BR

Looks great! Think you made some good choices both in caliber and extras....should be a hummer. Little confusion though is it the wife or the rifle that's new? Either way I think you have a winner. A rifle and a wife that both like to shoot.
    Last edited by wbm; 08-01-2016 at 04:23 PM.

Basic Member
    Haha both. Tied the knot yesterday.

Basic Member
    Lucky Guy! Congratulations to the both of you, you romantic, you.

I remember my second date with a girl I met back in '90. Walked into her apartment and saw a deer rack on the wall, and a 30-30 standing in the corner. She had a fishing license AND a pilots license. Before the evening was over, I asked her to marry me.

BTW: what clear coat do you plan to use?

Basic Member
    Hey thanks, I am pretty darned lucky. She was growing bored shooting the 223 at 300 yards, so i figured I would make her something she can test her group sizes with at that distance.

I haven't completely decided which auto clear I'm going to use yet. I'm still researching them. Ended up going with a hardwood floor sanding sealer, layed the first coat heavy so it wouldn't get any contamination when we mill it tomorrow for the v block. Gonna pick up the top coat and some ultra fine sanding paper next time I head to town.

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Lucky Guy! Congratulations to the both of you, you romantic, you.

I remember my second date with a girl I met back in '90. Walked into her apartment and saw a deer rack on the wall, and a 30-30 standing in the corner. She had a fishing license AND a pilots license. Before the evening was over, I asked her to marry me.

BTW: what clear coat do you plan to use?
    Well Did she say yes?

And to the O.P. that's a pretty stock it's going to look like a New hundred dollar Bill when your get it together.

Congrats on everything, best wishes and hope the gun shoots good.

Basic Member
    It's sitting in the garage, epoxy drying right now. I'll sand it out a bit soon enough, but the Mrs wants to shoot it Saturday, so no stock work until next week. She helped put the v block in, is very excited about it. Thanks for the kind words everyone.

SHM

Basic Member

Getting there, five shots at 100

I put the final sanding seal on it last night, shot well from the stock, so next week I'll figure out my top and get it finished. I have to bed the trigger guard, but no issues with that.

It's a shooter though.

SHM

Darn good work and great shooting. Congrats!

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=swamphonkey;374717]Well Did she say yes?

Yep! But years later when I caught a bigger King Salmon in Alaska than she did, she divorced me. Guess I should'a tested the waters a bit more before jumping in. LOL

Basic Member
    What bolt handle is that I see on the action? I'd like to get one like that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    What bolt handle is that I see on the action? I'd like to get one like that.
    I got it from tactical works. Just a stainless smooth handled tactical knob. They have several variations it.

Beautiful stock, and Congrats. How long did you have to wait to get your stock?

Basic Member
    They quoted me 8 weeks, on the 9th it showed up. I was perfectly fine with it. I may order another from them. Just have to understand that their 99% stock is more in line with a 70%, and it will take some time and effort to get it to fit right. It has become increasingly humid here, so I haven't been able to top coat it yet. She couldn't be happier with it.

Lapua brass, Fed 205M primers, 29.7gr Varget, HBN coated 105 Berger hybrid 5 thou off the lands, 2810 fps with SD of 10. It works well, only has 50 rounds down the tube. First 20 were bare, and everything after that is getting HBN.