Thread: Custom build

Custom build

Question for you guys that have custom rifles built.
    What kind of wait time would one expect to have a complete custom rifle built from someone who builds custom rifles?

Thanks, Billy

Basic Member
    Local smith by me is 18 months out.

Depends on their reputation among other factors as well

Basic Member
    Seems like it takes about 6 months to gather the parts, give or take. After that it just depends on how back logged or how hard the 'smith works.

Basic Member
    The fastest build I've had was been 3 months. Everything was able to be dropped shipped, and the slowest pieces to take was the T&T job and the cerekote paint job.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Thumper76
    I guess a lot depends on how "custom" you want to get with it. If you're handy with tools and have a basic concept of how they work, you could easily build your own custom rifle....and save a considerable amount of money that could be utilized elsewhere. A few simple tools like an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and a set of go/no-go gauges in the caliber of your choice are all you really need to get started. Besides, it's a lot cooler to show up at the range, shoot tiny groups, and when people ask you about your rifle, you can get that extra little bit of satisfaction by saying YOU built it!

Thanks for your replies, I was wondering. I've heard about some really long waits, 2 years or more, and was wondering what the norm was. Not that I'm in any hurry, but was just wondering how to plan for any future hunts.

Thanks again, Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper76 View Post
    I guess a lot depends on how "custom" you want to get with it. If you're handy with tools and have a basic concept of how they work, you could easily build your own custom rifle....and save a considerable amount of money that could be utilized elsewhere. A few simple tools like an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, and a set of go/no-go gauges in the caliber of your choice are all you really need to get started. Besides, it's a lot cooler to show up at the range, shoot tiny groups, and when people ask you about your rifle, you can get that extra little bit of satisfaction by saying YOU built it!
    Thumper 76,
    I have and still do build my own rifles, I Love doing the work, and the end result. My skills are limited, so I can't do timing, and trueing, " would love to learn" so I'm limited as too how much I can do. Was just curious if I did have one built, how long I could expect.

Thumper76
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsillinois View Post
    Thumper 76,
    I have and still do build my own rifles, I Love doing the work, and the end result. My skills are limited, so I can't do timing, and trueing, " would love to learn" so I'm limited as too how much I can do. Was just curious if I did have one built, how long I could expect.
    Okay, wasn't sure what you were considering custom, but I gotcha now. Yeah, those are some skills I wish I had too..

Banned
    No disrespect intended, but for hunting, unless you have lots of excess bucks, You can build a Savage that is probably as good (or no one could tell the difference)

I never had an animal with a target on it, just did the standard behind the shoulder into hear and lungs. Too hard to get and limited opportunity to try for any fancy head shots.

Even a blued receiver with a Stainless barrel gets you what is really critical in an all weather gun. I never had problem keeping receivers ok, barrel at times were a problem.

Composite stock , worst case, pop it out at night, clean it up and good again.

Of course I may be off on a tangent you are not meaning so smack me if I am out of line. My wife does.

Savages do have their limitations butUnless you need a special gun for competition they do a really good.job

By the time you get your custom built rifle you will have forgotten why you wanted it

That is why I went to savage and I like the do it yourself aspect

You can slap on a new barrel in some exotic caliber and have a new rifle.

You can change the stock for different shooting disciplines

And you can do it all yourself with no waiting for a.gunsmith.

You guys are right, that's why I really like my Savages, lots of parts to come by, easy to make yourself a new gun, or just switch barrels. Just had thought, like I said earlier my skills are limited, had thought about getting a trued action, just another excuse for another rifle. Had some extra money, may just get a target action from Northland, and have it timed trued, always heard you guys talk of how smooth a timed and trued works, and order myself another barrel, and stock, and do the rest myself.

Thanks for your input, Billy

If you want the ultimate savage type action and you have some coin to drop you should.look at.the mausingfield

No time and true necessary. You can use any trigger like a jewel. No ejection problems. They pretty well solved all the issues with the savage action.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsillinois View Post
    You guys are right, that's why I really like my Savages, lots of parts to come by, easy to make yourself a new gun, or just switch barrels. Just had thought, like I said earlier my skills are limited, had thought about getting a trued action, just another excuse for another rifle. Had some extra money, may just get a target action from Northland, and have it timed trued, always heard you guys talk of how smooth a timed and trued works, and order myself another barrel, and stock, and do the rest myself. Thanks for your input, Billy
    I have been shooting since I was in 2nd grade (my moms 22, dads 38 special).

I was a pretty good shot, took the 22 rifle course at the University and shot some great scores.

Ok, throw in a career, game hunting, birds, but not competition. I figured I could shoot pretty good.

I got the 12FV and have done some great groups and some awful ones. I am slowly getting more consistent, but I suspect that the gun is still better than I am (well I know it is, I just hate to admit it)

I have been at it for 4 years pretty seriously though just the last year with good equipment.

My take is that once you are down into the 2s, then things like the blue print, truing will get you that last bit, but for almost all of us, the gun is still better.

So I would just build something you want. As its my recreation now (sad story about a ruptured disk and surgery that I can't do what I did before). What I found was that good equipment is needed, but a real good shot could take that same equipment and shoot it better than I can. I could not do any better with theirs than I am right now.

So until you are sub 1/2 MOA, the best equipment isn't going to help. I may get there, I don't see 2s or 3 (consistently, I have hit in that 2s area maybe 3 times in 4 years) ).

So its been a humbling experience, a good heavy barrel with a good acu varmint trigger (not the greatest but good).

I am happy with what I have, expensive target would have been wasted. 5 years form now maybe not (I have read of people who shoot 2s, got bored and walked away, really?) wow.

Might be a thought, get a Bull or Varmint in your favorite caliber, (or one of the known accurate ones) decide what stock you like (I am partial to thumb holes) setup one as a bench rest, decent scope, get the bag for front and rear and see how it goes

I like the Mausingfield, great idea , but at this point in my capabilities it would be a complete waster.