Thread: Curious about weaver scopes

Ffndn

Curious about weaver scopes

Seems that buying a scope nowadays is becoming college algebra. Im kinda old school. Im just wondering about weaver scopes? I hunt mulies and elk here in idaho. I have to take alot of long range shots out here ( the guys from california tend to spook our bulls! Lol) Kinda looking for a 4x12 or 16. Weaver has a good name with rings and mounts. Just wondering if they still make a reasonably priced scope ($200-$300) and what your opinions and suggestions might be. Its going on my 111 7mm. Thanks

Ranch Dog
    I'll speak up, I'm a Weaver fan but most of the, a count of 15, are their K4 Classic Scout scopes. Ahh, I like IER rifles & scopes

One thing that I wanted to do with my scout rifles is standardized the scope so that when I picked up a rifle the view out and down the barrel was the same. What I did was buy all the scout scopes that were available at the time and try them; Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, etc. I had a gunstock setup that I could use to mount them on with velcro and just examine the glass across the various offerings. Hands down the Weaver product was the best so I shot it before I returned the others just to make sure I was happy with my choice. The Weaver stayed and all the others went back.

That was four years ago so I've started to think about replacing 14 standard eye relief scopes so I started this same process and in the end it I've settled on the Weaver 2.5x7-32 Classic V for my needs. Now, I know that you are looking for something with a max power of 12 to 16X which is different that what I needed but I meant this to serve as a comparison of glass across a range of manufacturers vs. a budget a little tighter than yours; $175 to $250.

I'm thinking that the Weavers might be more popular than I thought as when an inventory is received the dealers run through them pretty fast. I was thinking that the Weaver #849540 might be right up your alley, it is a 4-12X44 with an AO, but when I looked at MidwayUSA it was out of stock. Might check it out anyway as the 40-44 series have very good reviews.

Basic Member
    I can remember well when there weren't any or at least many scopes seen on hunting rifles.
    But that slowly changed so that by the mid 50s it was no longer an odd thing to see one.
    Many of them and ill say maybe most of them were Weavers made in El Paso.
    My father used an early variable KV model 2.5 to 5 power made by Weaver in the early 50s.
    As for (opinions), mine is that in todays dollars $300 is a cheap, not reasonable scope and that can only mean
    what it implies. For a hunting gun id be spending my $ on a nice old Leupold.

I have two weaver scopes a T36 and a new xr T46 love them both are on BR guns(short range) I also have a Revolution 2x7 on my 20guage I hate it and if I was still able to hunt it would be gone, as far as I am concerned the reticle is trash and the scope itself is dark to look through.
    Just my opinion.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

I just bought a 6-18 for my 223. It's a decent Chinese scope. Glass is OK and zero is settable w/3 small screws on each turret.It has the side focus which is all I'll buy now. It really has a lot of eye relief though. I have it mounted as far forward as I can and still have to crawl back the stock for good sight picture.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Ffndn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranch Dog View Post
    I'll speak up, I'm a Weaver fan but most of the, a count of 15, are their K4 Classic Scout scopes. Ahh, I like IER rifles & scopes

One thing that I wanted to do with my scout rifles is standardized the scope so that when I picked up a rifle the view out and down the barrel was the same. What I did was buy all the scout scopes that were available at the time and try them; Burris, Bushnell, Leupold, etc. I had a gunstock setup that I could use to mount them on with velcro and just examine the glass across the various offerings. Hands down the Weaver product was the best so I shot it before I returned the others just to make sure I was happy with my choice. The Weaver stayed and all the others went back.

That was four years ago so I've started to think about replacing 14 standard eye relief scopes so I started this same process and in the end it I've settled on the Weaver 2.5x7-32 Classic V for my needs. Now, I know that you are looking for something with a max power of 12 to 16X which is different that what I needed but I meant this to serve as a comparison of glass across a range of manufacturers vs. a budget a little tighter than yours; $175 to $250.

I'm thinking that the Weavers might be more popular than I thought as when an inventory is received the dealers run through them pretty fast. I was thinking that the Weaver #849540 might be right up your alley, it is a 4-12X44 with an AO, but when I looked at MidwayUSA it was out of stock. Might check it out anyway as the 40-44 series have very good reviews.

Thanks. Ill check it out

Team Savage
    I have owned two over time. I sold one tactical to buy the newest one. The 6-30 x56 I think it is a 35mm tube. It is a TANK. It has an improved mil dot reticle. Man if they had some kind of ebr 2c or horus reticle , Vortex razors would get smoked. I use it on my slow long range 338 so quick hold over and offs are not much of a concern so the mildot is fine there.

I've owned two Classic V's in the past 10-12 years, a 4-16 and a 6-24, and both of them took a crap on me after about two years in that they would no longer hold a zero. Sent the 6-24 back for repair the first time (which took them forever) and it held zero for about six months before going bad again. Didn't waste my time sending it in the second time, I just tossed it in the trash. When the 4-16 developed the same problem it went straight to the trash as well. Suffice to say I don't foresee myself buying another Weaver for a long, long time unless there's a major change with them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain