Thread: Need help choosing a base and rings

FLETCHxj

Need help choosing a base and rings

Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I'm currently building a gun that I want to have the capabilities to shoot long range. I bought a savage 10 spf-sr and am putting a athlon midas btr 4.5-27x50 scope on it. I'm trying to figure out what base and rings I should go with. I'm all very new to this appreciate any advice given.

Fletch, welcome to our world. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
    I always go with Leupold bases and rings. They seem to hold up to recoil better than other brands due to the design. You can find them on auction sites for about half the cost at brick & mortar store. Remember this is just one persons opinion. This is a great site for information though.

triehl27
    I'm going to second the Leupold rings and bases. I currently am running weaver multi slot on my two mod 12's, because I am running 30mm scopes and weaver rings is what I had.

My contract rifle M700, when it became mine, I had to leave the optics and rings behind. But it kept the Leupold base, and I simply replaced the rings and got a good quality 10X scope to replicate what I had on it for duty. Those rings and bases have NEVER failed, or moved, unless I moved them. The base is a 22MOA LR Leupold base.

My second choice would be EGW base and matched rings, as that is what I have on one of my mod 10's and they are extremely high quality.

Third I would look at the Game Reaper one piece base and rings.

On one of my 12s I see it is a 2 piece Weaver Tactical multislot, and Weaver Extreme rings. They are doing me just fine on my 223.

Quote Originally Posted by FLETCHxj View Post
    Hi guys I'm new to the forum and I'm currently building a gun that I want to have the capabilities to shoot long range. I bought a savage 10 spf-sr and am putting a athlon midas btr 4.5-27x50 scope on it. I'm trying to figure out what base and rings I should go with. I'm all very new to this appreciate any advice given.

Basic Member
    Here's my suggestion since you mention long range. I would use a EGW base 0 For rings I would use Burris XTR Signature. Using the signature rings with the furnished inserts will get you any combination of offset from 0 to 40. Careful shopping will let you buy the base and rings for slightly under $100 unless the scope is a 34mm, they are more money. Plus the signature rings aren't going to give you ring marks on your new scope. Its what I used on the last one and couldn't be more pleased. The reason the EGW base is nice because you will need the most correct ring spacing to make the inserts work to their fullest potential. A spacing chart is packed with the rings.

Banned
    FLETCH, the problem here is your going to get as many opinions, as you have questions! It's like asking "what do you all think is the best food?" I can tell you my opinion is to stay away from any of the Leupold standard bases/rings. And stay away from "Weaver" ONLY bases. Also, a 1 piece mount, made of 7075 t6 will be the strongest base you can get. Seekins makes one in 7075 t6. TPS and EGW use 6061 t6. TPS also make bases in steel, as well as Leupold MK4 steel base. Rings are really where you are going to run into as many, many different recommendations. My advice on rings is to took at what professionals use. You will likely see about 3 or 4 reoccurring choices with the top guys. (I'll give ya a hint...it's none of the rings recommended so far!) like the old saying "there are many different ways to skin a cat", so goes choosing scope rings. , So with rings.....go with the ones YOU like the most. My favorite are actually the Warne Tactical for 30mm. For anything else, I prefer the TPS. But that's just me.
    Last edited by Dave Hoback; 08-02-2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Was mixed up at first

Team Savage
    ^^^^ this ^^^^^^

Team Savage
    You can spend $100 to $500 for rings and bases and unless your targets are shooting back, I don't need the $500 ones. Spend more time making sure your one piece base goes on flush, flat and square and then use Burris Signature Zee rings, learn how the offset inserts work. You can replace the cross bolt with a aftermarket socket head.