Thread: Accuracy Change with Barrel Removal & Replacement?

Basic Member

Accuracy Change with Barrel Removal & Replacement?

I have a Model 11 with a Shaw barrel in 358 Win. It's a tack driver. I also have a new Shaw barrrel in .308 that I want to try. My questions is, will accuracy change when I reinstall the 358 barrel? I plan on match-marking the receiver, barrel, and barrel nut.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    To my suprise, it always seems that accuracy and point of impact(give or take a moa) come back each time. Not to say it always will.

I would set with headspace gauges, not witness marks. Just because that is the way I installed the barrel the first time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adammiddagh View Post
    To my suprise, it always seems that accuracy and point of impact(give or take a moa) come back each time. Not to say it always will.

I would set with headspace gauges, not witness marks. Just because that is the way I installed the barrel the first time.
    Thanks. Sounds encouraging. I used headspace gauges and still have them.

Basic Member
    Use the gauges AND witness marks. Gauges will keep you safe and secure and the witness marks will give you a better chance of matching them up MORE precisely. (Even with gauges, there is always a little wiggle room depending on how tightly you secure the barrel against the gage. )

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    (Even with gauges, there is always a little wiggle room depending on how tightly you secure the barrel against the gage. )
    Good plan. I was thinking the same thing when I figured witness marks might be a good way to ensure a return to the same spot.

Team Savage
    I have two that were taken apart and put back together. New trigger, Action trued, One had a new lug installed.

Results: 1 did very well with same load as before any work was done; the other is a complete scratch and start over. The second one went from half to maybe sub half moa to a 1.5 moa rifle after being put back together. I did not do any of it so I dont know if anything was done differently between the two. Strangely, the one that is shooting the best, the barrel is in a different relationship to the action. I can tell because of the paint job I had done and now there are some unpainted areas exposed on the barrel. Dont know if any of this is helpful, just my experience.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    I have two that were taken apart and put back together. New trigger, Action trued, One had a new lug installed.

Results: 1 did very well with same load as before any work was done; the other is a complete scratch and start over. The second one went from half to maybe sub half moa to a 1.5 moa rifle after being put back together. I did not do any of it so I dont know if anything was done differently between the two. Strangely, the one that is shooting the best, the barrel is in a different relationship to the action. I can tell because of the paint job I had done and now there are some unpainted areas exposed on the barrel. Dont know if any of this is helpful, just my experience.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. On one hand you changed several things so it really doesn't apply to my situation. However, it does support that voice in my head that tells me not to mess with a great shooting rifle. I think I'll just start hunting the pawn shops for another action.