Thread: New Model 25 -22 Hornet on the way

New Model 25 -22 Hornet on the way

I have owned a Ruger 22 Hornet which I just sold and ordered a new Model 25 in 22 Hornet.

I am considering a K Hornet conversion when it arrives. I read a post here that the K Hornet rounds will have feed problems with the magazine. Is this corrected or will I need to mod the magazines?

Also would love to have any feedback from owners of this rifle. I have two other Savage rifles, .223 F T/R, and a 6BR F class. Love them both
    Last edited by Bob Link; 08-20-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo

Received my rifle. Great looking stock, and the mechanics are smooth. I have been looking for a scope. couldnt go for the big bucks and still wanted a high power magnification. Since I am not going to be shooting moving targets I decided on a Weaver T36. Found it on sale for almost 200 off list. I have a set of Burris Signature Z rings on the way also. Looking forward to next weekend to get the first rounds down range.

I liked the one I reviewed in .17 Hornet. Unfortunately Savage doesn't make a left-hand Model 25's for us southpaws.

Team Savage
    Hope you have better luck with your .22 Hornet than me. I continue to have extraction problems on fired cases. I sent the firearm back to Savage and they said they fixed it. I took it to the range today and continue to have extraction problems on fired cases. It's a little better than before when I couldn't extract loaded or fired cases. Now, about 1 in 5 fired cases don't extract. I have to use a cleaning rod to poke them out and they come out with just a touch to the shell casing with a cleaning rod. Anybody out there have a similar problem with the Mod. 25 in .22 Hornet?

Model 40 case extraction/ejection

Quote Originally Posted by mrcusn View Post
    Hope you have better luck with your .22 Hornet than me. I continue to have extraction problems on fired cases. I sent the firearm back to Savage and they said they fixed it. I took it to the range today and continue to have extraction problems on fired cases. It's a little better than before when I couldn't extract loaded or fired cases. Now, about 1 in 5 fired cases don't extract. I have to use a cleaning rod to poke them out and they come out with just a touch to the shell casing with a cleaning rod. Anybody out there have a similar problem with the Mod. 25 in .22 Hornet?
    I just got a "new old stock" Model 40, the single shot version of the Model 25 as I understand it. I shot it for the first time yesterday. I'm using hand loaded Nosler (new) cases and 40 gr Nosler "Varmageddon" BT FB bullets. The first two fired cases stuck in the chamber, but released with a light tap from a cleaning rod. To my surprise, from then on I had no such problem. In fact, the cases extracted easily and flew five or six feet when ejected. Fired cases have slight marks where the extractors passed over the edges of the case rims, which with Nosler brass, are flat. I've yet to try this rifle with loads using other brands of brass, but I will with Remington (R-P) brass for sure. I'll update this when I do, but until then, I would encourage anyone with these extraction problems to try other cases.