Thread: Killing hogs

Ranch Dog

Killing hogs

This forum seems a bit slow so I thought I would post some pictures with success with my 340 that I turned into a scout rifle.

I live on a ranch where the Post Oak Savannah meets the South Texas Plains and try to kill a hog a week throughout the year. Most of it is done as opportunity provides but I do hunt nights with the full moon. I have a lot of rifles and I try to cycle them all through the task but honestly the little 340 has become the rifle that sits in the rack at the back door. I shoot a 170 bullet of my design at a muzzle velocity of 2000 FPS and haven't had one hog continue to stand at the shot. I think I've killed two more hogs with this rifle but cannot find the pictures.

My new Savage 170 chambered in 35 Rem went out with me this week but I goofed up, I didn't not do a chamber check! I had three hogs lined up for a "three-fer" but got that terrible "click". That rifle's slide action is a bit louder than a bolt, hogs don't tolerate much, and I never got a cartridge in the rifle before they were gone. I swear that when I sat the 170 down in the rack next to the 340, I could hear the 340 snickering!

Xm185
    That's cool! Hope you get em all! Years ago I went to camron Texas hog hunting and I had 8 footballs as they call em, line up like they eating out a bunk. I line up the cross hairs and must have moved my foot or something, and they scattered, but came right back in and I said I am gonna get at least 2 of these little b-------. Waited for 2 to line up and I let the ol 06 bark. Smoked pig that night!

Ranch Dog
    That's the way to do it! I have a friend that farms outside Cameron.

Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Xm185
    It was a blast down there!! I need to get back down and do it again!! Good luck huntin ranch dog!