Thread: Stevens 200 trigger

georgia boy

Stevens 200 trigger

Got my sons 7mm 08 to the range yesterday and got it on paper. The trigger is terrible, somewhere on here I saw something on adjusting the trigger but cant find it again. Could someone help me out or direct me to it again?

Re: Stevens 200 trigger

You need to get your hands on one of the early (pre accutrigger) triggers with the adjustable sear screw. Northlander and SS should have a few for sale. Or save yourself some trouble and get a Timney.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

usmc_mwroseberry

If it's the weight that you don't like then you can loosen the screw on the recovery spring a bit and lighten it up. Mine is set at 4lbs. Which most people think is way to light but I am so used to military triggers 4lbs is light to me. That's about as far as the stock trigger will go before it starts getting dangerous. If you do that make sure you don't put a round in the chamber until you're good and ready.

The aftermarket triggers are your best bet. Also FYI with the twist rate on the stock 7mm-08 you're going to want to stay at 120gr or below. You need a new barrel to go much higher than that in gr weight because you need a faster twist.

Good luck,
    Merritt
    SGT USMC vet.

georgia boy

I am kind of on a budget, hence the 200 so a Timney and a new barrel are kind of out of the question. It is my sons first deer rifle and he is pulling all the shots right because of the trigger. About the only ammo I can find locally is 140 grain, was hoping to find some 120. If anyone has one of the (pre accutrigger) triggers they would like to donate or sell at a reasonable price please let me know.

cwop

i have some rifles with terrible triggers for hunting the worst probably a browning bar 30/06. funny when i shoot a deer i never notice the trigger. i dont use those sorts of rifles for target shooting or expect them to much from them.

just my 2c

bob

flatshooter

Quote Originally Posted by georgia boy
    Got my sons 7mm 08 to the range yesterday and got it on paper. The trigger is terrible, somewhere on here I saw something on adjusting the trigger but cant find it again. Could someone help me out or direct me to it again?

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...c,19414.0.html

possum1

possum1