I've been playing with Savage builds since 2005 and never ran into this problem. I have a Shaw varmint weight barrel that was originally 30-06 and changed to 308. It was shortened, threads recut and re-chambered by a machinist friend who has 40+ years experience on a lath and is an avid gun builder. I've used the barrel on a number of actions w/o problems with the barrel nut screwing on. Enter a nice 270 long action with Accu Trigger that I picked up in a LGS for $225 OTD. I broke the 270 down and cleaned it well to include the receiver threads and lug locking recesses. I spun the barrel nut on the 308 and that's when I realized the nut would only screw on up to the new cut threads. The nut does not screw on enough to be able to head space the barrel correctly. I tried chasing the threads with a triangular Swiss needle file and that helped a little bit but did not solve the problem. At this point, I ordered another barrel nut in hopes a replacement will work. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any insite into viable fixes besides nut replacement?