Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barrel break-in procedure for new rifle

nosa

Re: barrel break-in procedure for new rifle

The easiest way to clean any barrel I've found is the Boresnake. Put whatever cleaner you use, pull it through both ways about 4 times and it will be sparkling clean.

BIGDAVE54

That is just a big load of crappolla that unfortuneately half decent people invented to show their really bad undecent side with. I even wrote Jeff Quinn on Gunblast last week and asked him if he had heard of a break in procedure for a new rifle barrell. Supposedly some brain surgeon scam artist cam out with special barrel breakin bullets.....I am betting it was the PT Barnum bullet company. I trust Jeff Quin about anything that makes a bang when you pull the trigger. He said no. Just do not overheat a new rifle. I agree. I do fire about ten rds and run an oily patch through or shoot a squirt or two of Mobile One synthetic motor oil down the bore.It makes a fantastic muzzle flash and will help clear any loose debri. I DO think it is importat to clean a new bore real good before fireing it because it could have packing grease or fine debris of some kind tha could score it if it were shot through the bore.

shelbyfan

They do make bore cleaning bullets specifically for breaking in new barrels. However, they are basically a waste of money as the bullet is coated and the coating comes off nearly immediately when it enters the barrel. Also, they are a big fat waste of money. A small tube of JB Bore Paste runs about 11 bucks and it will last a very long time.

varmitbuster

big dave,
    i tend to agree to a point. the bullets that you reload to help clean a barrel up don't sound like a good ideal to me either. the truth is if you have ever bore scoped a new factory rifle barrel you'll wonder how it would even hit the side of a barn. they are rough and not very uniformed. they have rough edges, burs and many have misformed rifling. the braking in helps to clean the edges up, remove burs, but the misformed rifling will still be there.

that is the reason i use high end barrels on everything. the companies who make them know that we target shooters are a demanding crowd. they handlap them and when you bore scope them they are perfect. the only thing you have to clean up is when the new chamber is reamed. there will be tiny burs from that process.

another thing the more uniform the barrel is in the rifling and chamber area the easier they are to clean. i have had many top grade barrels on rimfires and centerfires. i wouldn't dream of using the tubs bullets for cleaning up a top notch barrel or a ugly factory barrel. i'd lap a ugly factory barrel then see how it went from there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12