Thread: Richards Microfit Stocks ???

Tpsfoto

Richards Microfit Stocks ???

Has anyone used to heard of these? Richard's Microfit Stocks....in California
    Pricing is really good and the woods/styles seem nice

Thanks all
    Larry

If you are wanting a nice drop in finished fit this isn't it. That being said they make a nice product with some beautiful wood but they do require a bit of in letting, sanding and finishing.

Team Savage
    +1^^^. Lots of styles you don't see anywhere else. But takes a lot of work to get prepared for final finish. But you'll be happy with the end result if you like working with wood.

Basic Member
    This Is good advise. But to be honest the outside was pretty nice. In my case it's the inleting that I've had to deal with which really isn't horrible.
    I'm currently finishing my California Claro Custom Rollover AAA Grade for my X-Caliber 7.62x39 build. I'm going to install pillars soon

Just finished the barrel hogging today

Basic Member
    I ordered a solid walnut stock in AA Fancy grade. What I got was, in my opinion, neither AA nor fancy, but I admit it was a pretty nice chunk of wood and the price was OK. The inletting was absolutely perfect. You couldn't ask for anything better.

However, the outside was one step up from a log. I swear it looked like it had been roughed in by a talented chain saw sculptor who's saw ran out of gas before he finished. Plus it was HUGE. I suspect half of the weight of the stock ended up on the floor before I finished.

The stock was cut so that I couldn't even remove the bolt so the first tool I used was a huge band-saw. Then I did a LOT of heavy grinding and hand plane work before I ever got to the sand paper. They warn that some finishing is required, but if you think that means you can start with a piece of 100 grit sandpaper you would be very wrong.

When I was done, I had a pretty nice stock, but I would say what Richard's shipped me was a very well inletted blank, not a ready-to-finish stock.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy but I think it's important to point out that the stock blank I received might have disappointed someone with less woodworking experience then I have.

Basic Member
    Pics?

Team Savage
    I have no connection to Richard's Micro-Fit stocks other than owning and fitting close to 10 or maybe 12 of their stocks. IMHO, one of the better deals out there. A "custom made stock" can cost BIG $$ and take up to a year to get. With that i mind, one of the RMF stocks is the way to go. The different styles arn't found anywhere else and the price is right.
    Be aware that a little to a LOT of work may be needed to get a good fit. Anywhere from WTF did I get to looking pretty good. I've had some that were almost drop in to wanting to throw it in the fireplace on a cold night.
    If you don't mind working on what you get, you're ahead of the game. I love every one of the stocks that I have or had.
    And, anything you do to your stock makes it YOURS!! You may never want to see another one of their stocks OR you may think of them as the best thing since sliced bread. Keep an open mind when getting into stock fitting and the end product may amaze you.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Agreed ^^^^ an open mind, a cabinet full of bandages and a shop full of wood working equipment along with the knowledge to use them. Richards stocks can be very beautiful and quite functional when fitted properly and finished nicely, but it will take a lot of work, especially if you're new to the hobby and don't have a lot of wood working experience. If you want a drop in, I'd recommend Revolution or one of the many aftermarket rifle stock manufactures, otherwise place your order and be willing to wait 2 to 3 months to get your roughed out stock, and don't forget a recoil pad that has to be fitted too!

Team Savage
    Order your stock of choice with the recoil pad "already fitted", and the rest is fit and finish work. The Richard's Micro-Fit stocks are referred to as "The Gunsmith's Stocks" because of the fitting usually needed to get it ready to go. And probably about 1/3 rd. the price of a "Cu$tom made stock", not even considering the wait time.

Basic Member
    I waited 5 months for mine

Team Savage
    Waited close to 3 months to get one. IT CAME WRONG!! Rather than going thru the trouble of sending it back, I sold it here within a couple of days. So...rather than get on the phone and try to rip someone's face off, I chose to do the "snail mail" thing. Got an email reply within a few days with them telling me to send it back. I guess they didn't read far enough that I wouldn't be returning it as I had already sold it. DUH!!!
    Got a "replacement stock" in less that two weeks. In a pinch, you CAN get a stock to your door in less than two to three months. (But don't be holding your breath for things like that to be happening very often)

Got one that was green and sent it back for a refund. I wanted BLUE!! (actually it was Aqua. More green than blue)
    The one that I sold, rather than send back, was suppose to be right hand shooter with a left hand action. It came left hand shooter BUT, the action cut had the bolt release lever cut on the "left side"??? HUH?? Still havn't figured out how they did that. (must have been looking in a mirror??? Savage 10,110,12,112 are all the same. Only difference between the right and left hand actions is the the side the bolt handle cut. Bolt release lever is the same for right or left.
    Finally ordered up a Black and Grey right hand thumb hole bench rest stock. (easy to match black or grey colors) Re cut the bolt handle slot to the left side and filled the right hand side cut. Works like a CHAMP!! (I'am right handed)
    Right hand stays in the thumb hole for stock control while the free left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo. Strictly for bench shooting and I LOVE IT!! After shooting this rig set up this way, it's pretty hard getting use to reaching across to work the bolt on my right hand rigs and still keep control of the stock. 99% of my barrel swaps/ caliber testing is done of this rig.
    Right hand thumb hole bench rest stock, left hand Model 12 repeater action with a T&T job from Sharp Shooter Supply, set up with a single shot follower from S. S. S., Tactical bolt handle for extra leverage. Fluted bolt body for a little "extra bling". Comes in at around 15.5 pounds. Been so many barrel changes I forget what it is now. I think 20 VT "short" without looking. Or, could even be a 17 VHA. This action is also used for my SP rear grip rig. Both rear grip SP and bench rest stocks are fitted with Whidden V Blocks so action swapping is a breeze!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Order your stock of choice with the recoil pad "already fitted", and the rest is fit and finish work. The Richard's Micro-Fit stocks are referred to as "The Gunsmith's Stocks" because of the fitting usually needed to get it ready to go. And probably about 1/3 rd. the price of a "Cu$tom made stock", not even considering the wait time.
    Unless, of course, you're not completely sure what pull length you need, in that case you're going to be trying it and adjusting the pull accordingly. As I recall, benchrest shooting needs a different pull length than prone shooting. I cut mine twice and of course, had to reshape the recoil pad twice, but I had all the tools so it wasn't a big deal.

Basic Member
    Right handed, left bolt/extract/feed! That sounds like a really good idea. I am intrigued and wonder if it's becoming popular on the contest circuit.

Basic Member
    It has been for awhile

Team Savage
    Just seemed natural. Wasn't doing anything but scratching my *** with my "free" left hand SO, set something up and see how it works. LIKE A CHAMP!!
    Someone else had mentioned something about a guy using the same set up for bench shooting and it working pretty well.

Basic Member
    Savage has been selling these actions for years for target ahooting

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
    Savage has been selling these actions for years for target ahooting
    Am I missing something? Looking at the selection of target actions on Savage website, I see no left bolt models. I know they build left handed/bolt models, so what to do? Buy a right bolt, left eject target action and modify with left bolt parts? Or is it a special order item?

Basic Member

Team Savage
    Sorry. Double post.
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 07-23-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Team Savage
    Looks like all the actions listed are "right bolt" models. (that's OK if you're a lefty)
    I got my "lefty" action from Northland Shooters Supply (Jim Briggs) but that was a "few" years ago.. Not seeing any more "lefty" actions available. Maybe find a "left hand" rifle and part it out?
    Good luck with that as the "lefty" rifles are few and far between. Available but hard to come by.

I wanted to see how it felt to shoot a "left hand rifle" right handed. Picked up an amby stock, mounted the lefty action and headed for the range. Turned out to be LOTS OF FUN!!
    That's when I ordered up my right hand thumb hole stock and re cut it for the left hand action.