Thread: Dual Ball Bearing Bolt Lift Mod

Basic Member

Dual Ball Bearing Bolt Lift Mod

been playing with the lathe to get some more time on it and thought i'd show my latest creation. I remember seeing the 38/357 ball bearing bolt lift mod a long while ago so I thought i'd take it to the next level. I decided to machine the BAS down and center drilled it to put a second ball bearing. I even made sure that the whole assembly mic'd out to the same total installed length (in my case my BAS was .8835 long) from the bottom of the rim to the top of the BAS it's back at .8835 so no worries about changing the preload on the firing pin spring. Feels much better now!

Love it when guys experiment. Now to use your torque wrench and barrel vise to test the result.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Cool mod

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Basic Member
    I tried that once, and found that the single ball bearing works the best. The problem with 2 bearings stacked.....if they are not dead center to each other, the one in the BAS will push the other off center and make the cocking sleeve drag. There is enough clearance for the sleeve to move from side to side inside the bolt body, and it will push it off center like a wedge. One surface needs to be flat.
    You can't beat simplicity......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I tried that once, and found that the single ball bearing works the best. The problem with 2 bearings stacked.....if they are not dead center to each other, the one in the BAS will push the other off center and make the cocking sleeve drag. There is enough clearance for the sleeve to move from side to side inside the bolt body, and it will push it off center like a wedge. One surface needs to be flat.
    You can't beat simplicity......
    interesting. is this something you could feel when opening the bolt or did it cause damage? I have some valve lash caps maybe i'll buy another BAS and machine a pocket to put the lash cap in so it has a hardened surface to rotate against and try the tq wrench method to test cocking force.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    interesting. is this something you could feel when opening the bolt or did it cause damage? I have some valve lash caps maybe i'll buy another BAS and machine a pocket to put the lash cap in so it has a hardened surface to rotate against and try the tq wrench method to test cocking force.

Many years ago when play'n with this getup I made a small 'dimple ' in the end of the set screw for the bearing to ride in to keep cocking piece centered. To test it I used Dykem on the the face of the screw . After working the bolt about 20 times the only indication of contact was in the dimple, nothing outside around it.

Now when I shorten a BAS for the bearing I do the same thing,
    Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Apparently we're going to have to rehash this old topic yet again.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Bolt-Lift-Kits

Trust me, if there was a better way to do it or an option that offered less friction Fred would have already found it. Not only do you have the possible alignment issue Fred mentioned above with this method, but it's also more machine work for zero gain. The pin point of contact on the detent ball is going to be the same size whether it's on a flat surface or on another detent ball, so it's a zero net gain with a possibility of negative side effects.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Love it when guys experiment. Now to use your torque wrench and barrel vise to test the result.
    Get data with original and then get results!

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Get data with original and then get results!
    That Idea originally came from the post Jim linked to with Fred doing the work just to make sure the right guy gets credit for the Idea.

Basic Member
    good read. guess it's back to the drawing board. don't feel like buying a new BAS so i'll just use a lash cap I have and recess it to the correct height. I don't want to jack up the cocking sleeve

Basic Member
    The end of the BAS just has to be flat, no dimple is needed. If it's perfectly flat, it provides the minimum contact area and there is nothing to make it walk around.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    yeah but once I remove the bearing there is a hole and it would be too short so I have a small engine valve lash cap that i'll put in the BAS to fill the void and recess it to the correct depth to get everything back where it's happy.

Thank you for the info.

...or a hard flat thin piece steel that sits on top of the cocking piece for the ball in the BAS to ride on..