How’s it going all,

I just picked up a 10 FCP-SR in .308 for my first center-fire rifle and my second firearm purchase to my 10/22. I am 19 years old and am the first firearm owner in my family and love getting out and shooting. I'm on a decent budget because I am a Mechanical Engineering student at SDSU, but I try not to let that stop me from getting out and doing what I enjoy when I can find the time. Besides firearms I enjoy fabrication, circle track and offroad racing, and jetskis/boats. I picked up my bolt gun with the desire to try to ring steel as far as my capabilities will allow me, hopefully 600-800 yards with time and maybe the revered 1000 yard distance with even more time and practice, as well as a little luck. Thanks to this website Ive already learned a lot and hope to get some feedback from you all.

Obviously shooting at this distance will require a good optic, and I’m guessing even though the cheap UTG 4x16x44 scope I have now has served me well, I should be looking at something a little higher quality for the job.
For this optic I’m looking to spend somewhere in the sub $500 range unless that is really going to hold me back from something that’s great and a little bit more. I would like to be somewhere in the 16-24 power range. Obviously as a college student it takes a while for me to save money after bills so budget is something I have to keep in mind, however If I’m spending money I definitely want it to be a upgrade from what I have.
So far the choices I have considered are,

Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 SFP $200 on sale at midway.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/819...FY17fgod4Q0N4w
I’m guessing this optic will lack clarity compared to some of the 400-500 dollar options with the same or smaller magnification ranges, but I would like to throw it in to ask if any of you have any experience with this model and or can compare it to some of my other options, in clarity and etc.

Vortex Viper 6.5x20x50 SFP about $420 with discounts

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-r...PR-M-06MD-KIT1
This is probably my first choice as of now, but I’m curious how it compares to other scopes in the price range as well as what I’m missing out on comparing it to say the Viper PST or HS-T. Less magnification compared to my other considerations but I’m guessing the glass quality should be the highest? Curious of any experience with this one and comparisons to other known options on the market.

Primary Arms 6-24X50 Front Focal Plane $450 (not yet released)

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...-acss-hud-308/
This one is a wildcard. I know you guys really like Primary Arms and FFP but I don’t have experience with either. I get the advantage of FFP because of range estimation on any power, as well as the proper subtensions and lack of worry of POI shift with magnification change but I worry about the crosshairs covering too much of the target at max magnification and wonder if there is really a benefit to FFP for me? Also curious of glass clarity compared to say the Viper.

These are the options I’ve considered so far, I’m definitely open to additional considerations and input on anything I have here, including my goals.

Sorry for the long winded post, wanted to cover all the bases. Thank you for your time,

Justin