Thread: inside neck lube

Basic Member

inside neck lube

i am curious what most loaders are using for a inside neck lube when full sizing, i use the imperial sizing wax on a q tip but seems like the powder sticks to the neck on some brass, are there any other lubes to try to eliminate the powder sticking to the inside of the neck

Chet

Basic Member
    Imperial dry neck lube powder. It has some pros and cons. No more powder clinging to lube. Small amounts of graphite powder has a tendency to get on other items. Most of the time I use water cleanup lube and full size with titanum bushing neck sizing die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319...be-1-oz-powder

Basic Member
    When I need to lubricate the inside of the neck, I use the Imperial dry neck lube. Before seating, I use a brush to get out whatever might have fallen inside the case. It works for me.

Basic Member
    I use the Imperial wax on my thumb and a few fingers of my off side hand. Just enough on the neck and shoulder area to keep things working smooth.
    I occaisionaly scrape some from a finger across the case mouth also but not every case. The die tells me when it needs more lube.
    I don't bother to clean the inside neck before adding the powder and bullet.

schnyd112
    +1 for the dry neck lube. It is a little messy but it works. I need to clean my expander ball every 25 rounds or so, but I need to do that anyway after tumbling with dry media.

Basic Member
    I don't advise lubing the inside of the necks, it masks the effects of work hardened brass.
    If you almost rip the press off the bench when pulling an expander back through, split necks, see variations in shoulder bump and seating depths its time to anneal your brass. Annealed brass will size as easily and as consistently as when it was new or at times even better than when it was new.

A real simple (crude?) way to tell? Use a pliers to slightly force the neck out of round. If it springs back its a good bet it needs annealed.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I don't advise lubing the inside of the necks, it masks the effects of work hardened brass.
    If you almost rip the press off the bench when pulling an expander back through, split necks, see variations in shoulder bump and seating depths its time to anneal your brass. Annealed brass will size as easily and as consistently as when it was new or at times even better than when it was new.

A real simple (crude?) way to tell? Use a pliers to slightly force the neck out of round. If it springs back its a good bet it needs annealed.

Bill
    This. I anneal every firing now. I've gotten to where I do everything the exact same, every time. It keeps my ammo much more consistent than it's ever been. Zero is always the same, and long range data is always dead on. The short time it takes to anneal is well worth it for the consistency in ammo, not to mention brass life.

Basic Member
    I use powdered graphite "Imperial Dry Neck Lube", I wet tumble my cases and this strips the carbon from inside the case necks. Powdered graphite is nothing more than finely ground carbon, so this coats the inside of the case neck with carbon again.

Powders have graphite coating to facilitate handling and loading so the powdered graphite in the case neck is not contaminating the powder.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I use the Imperial wax on my thumb and a few fingers of my off side hand. Just enough on the neck and shoulder area to keep things working smooth.
    I occaisionaly scrape some from a finger across the case mouth also but not every case. The die tells me when it needs more lube.
    This right here.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I use a pump spray. I first tumble my used brass clean, then assemble them in a loading block and spray all 50 of them. The pump spray gets into the neck, I've never had an issue with it. After sizing, I tumble again to remove the lube. This works very well for .223 cases, but I found the pump spray to be insufficient for .308.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Same thing I, except after sizing I wet tumble, and never have an issue with out of round necks from that.