Thread: Pa. Groundhog & .17 Fireball

davemuzz

Pa. Groundhog & .17 Fireball

Here's the rifle: [img width=600 height=357]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/IMAG0034.jpg[/img]

Here's one of the G-hog's: [img width=600 height=358]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/davemuzz/IMAG0054.jpg[/img]

I managed to stop over at a friends place yesterday, and after I visited him, I stopped at one of his fields. Whacked two in ten minutes! Then I had to go. I went back this morning....man....hot as heck at 8:30!! Hung out for about an hour and one finally stuck his big fat head up at about 130 yards. I lined up on his neck and squeezed.....POW.....then I saw him go down and one of his front paws came up and did this "little wave" thing. ;D

I thought "how cute"....but then again....maybe not so much. 8)

I'm just practicin with the .17 Fireball for this fall for fox. It leaves a nice little hole going in.....and no exit wound! I shot the one in the pic at 30 yards!!! If I would have whacked him with my .223 and a V-max bullet, he would have been turned inside out.

Dave

Basic Member

Re: Pa. Groundhog & .17 Fireball

Wow, two in ten !!! Like hitting the lottery.

Well done !!!

firemachine69

You're missing the required shot of the Fireball cartridge for comparison. :D

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by firemachine69
    You're missing the required shot of the Fireball cartridge for comparison. :D
    ??? ;D ;D Oh man......Another reason to get another barrel!!!! Good post Firemachine69!!!!!!

Dave

phantom

I built me one of the .17 Rem Fire Balls this last year, and took it to the PD killing fields . . WOW !! Like shooting a laser to 300 yards . . It shot fine till it loaded up with copper, nearly 100 rounds, then I put it away and went back to the .223's. Are you reloading for it yet ? I have found that the 20 gr. Hornady's and Burgers are the best for it so far, my barrel is a 1:10 and doesn't like the 25 gr. bullets. I found the faster it goes the better it shoots. I tried several powder and bullet combos and found the Hornady V-Max and 15.6 of 4198 gave the best accuracy, at $27+ for a box of 20 it would be prohibitive to shoot for too long. I chronoed the Factory ammo at 4020 fps . . shot good no doubt, but that makes for a very expensive day in the field . . 10 boxes at $27+ ea. = $270 is about half of what I spent for the trip . . .

The really neat thing about it - is that you get to see the impact . . no recoil and it is there before any recoil is felt . . and dead on accurate. I was taking them off the mounds out to 300 yards with just about 3" of hold over - spectacular to say the least . .
    What a neat little caliber it is . . .

davemuzz

Phantom,

The only factory ammo I buy is for my CCW. Everything else I shoot I reload.

For the little .17 Fireball I'm loading the 25gr. Berger Match over 18.2gr. of H-335. That's giving me about 3700fps in the velocity department and darn good accuracy.

Your right about watching the hits! It's POW.....WHACK.....FLOP. Well....maybe an occasional spin or two, but that little 25 grain Berger just make's the inside of 'em jello! No exit wound.

I usually give the barrel a good cleaning around the 100 round mark. Now, here in Pa. we don't get the 50-zillion shots like you do out west at Praire Dogs. On a good day we might kill 10 groundhogs, and a few crows, toss in a couple of Starlings out of boredom.....and should a possum creep by....well ;D.

I still have my .223 Contender and doubt if I'll ever get rid of it. It's one accurate gun....but it will splatter 'em up under 100 yards with the V-max bullet.

But....I think the .17 Fireball is a "specialty cartridge" and very well suited for shootin things you want to save the fur on. (ie: fox). So, I'll keep loadin 'n shootin mine.

Dave