Thread: Predator/Varmint Barrel Contour

norcalrifleman

Predator/Varmint Barrel Contour

I want to build a rifle primarily for coyote that can also serve as a varmint rifle and casual target rifle. I don't want it to weigh too ungodly much. I was thinking of maybe a 26" light varmint contour Shilen or McGowen. Caliber will be .243 and it will be wearing my 4.5-14x Nikon Buckmaster with probably a B&C DuraMaxx or Target/Varmint stock. I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up with a rifle that would be a royal pain to lug around along with my other gear.

DGD6MM

Re: Predator/Varmint Barrel Contour

Here's a suggestion, buy a FV and stiffen the stock and have fun. This is what I use for my switchgun. I have shot this rig with a 22-250 out to 850 yards off a bipod and it is accurate.

norcalrifleman

Look, all I'm trying to do is pose a perfectly complicated and subjective topic and here you come interjecting with the kind of pragmatism I'd expect from a senior NCO. Seriously though, that is not a bad plan. What do they typically go for at someplace like Sportsman's Warehouse?

norcalrifleman

Ah, there's a problem with that plan. They don't make the 12 FV in .243 that I can find.

DGD6MM

I know, my buddy bought the same gun I did. Later he bought a .243 barrel from Northlander and it is a shooter with 105 Amax's. I'm sure it will shoot lighter bullets also.

norcalrifleman

It really isn't a bad idea even in .223, but the primary purpose of this rifle is to reach beyond my 5.56mm AR for coyote hunting. I'll probably just buy a Stevens in .243, replace the barrel and sell the factory barrel to recoup some funds. Upgrade other stuff later. That is of course if I can't find a nice deal in the classifieds section. I'll drop my $12 as soon as I'm home from vacation.