Thread: lucked out??? picked up a nice savage 170 pump in 35 remington

Basic Member

lucked out??? picked up a nice savage 170 pump in 35 remington

yep picked it up of of GB at a very good price too, had been looking for one for a few years now was about to give up and dang if i didnt get me one.
    they are light fast and accurate.
    SB
    ill get some pics posted later

Ranch Dog
    Bought one off of GB earlier this year. At one time I had a NIB 170 35 Rem and never shot it so I sold it for a good price, always regretted it as I got older.

I'm shooting my TLC359-190-RF cast bullet, a 190-grain Flat Nose bullet that I size to .358". The rifle has a Weaver V 2.5x7-32 on it but I have a Sightron Hunter 1.75x4X32 enroute from Midway, probably a bit more appropriate for the rifle/cartridge combo. You can see some handloads with the Speer 180 FN on the back row of the loading tray. The rifle likes those as well but would rather shoot & hunt with cast.

It shoots very well with a cold barrel. Successive shots from a hot barrel go high but if I let it cool completely, the next "cold" shot is good. I played with the barrel band a bit but I think it is actually the Weaver 62B base. I don't think it mates perfectly to the receiver and as the receiver heats up the base is under pressure. Not sure what to do about that but have ordered a EGW picatinny base, if nothing else the picatinny slot spacing is better than zip for choices on the Weaver base. In the picture below the two shots touching the bullseye are "cold" shots and the two above are from a hot barrel. All are at 100 yards.

Very pleased with the rifle and if I see a clean 30-30 Win, I will pick it up as well.