Thread: Muzzle loader conversion

Basic Member

Muzzle loader conversion

Have gotten drawn for a limited quota hunt that requires muzzle loader. I was wondering if it would be feasible to do a barrel swap on my 308 111 trophy hunter with accutrigger? Installing a smokeless barrel and use cut she'll to fire good idea or even possible?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Savage made a version called the 10ml

schnyd112
    I think you can buy a muzzleloader that uses 209 shotgun primers and a bolt type action, what they call an in line muzzleloader, for less than changing your savage would cost you.

Team Savage
    I'm in the middle of this as well. Check out smokelessmz.com and talk with Luke. He is extremely knowledgeable and more than willing to help out. He had everything I needed in stock.

I have a stainless knight inline. Change the nipped and use 209 primers. No need to change that savage.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Got email from luke looks like parts would be about $630

Basic Member
    You can buy an thompson center, pretty much any model for less money and you wont have all that headache! Just buy a 300$ rifle and pull a scope from something else. Just remember to keep the barrel clean and clean it once your done shooting

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Temple View Post
    You can buy an thompson center, pretty much any model for less money and you wont have all that headache! Just buy a 300$ rifle and pull a scope from something else. Just remember to keep the barrel clean and clean it once your done shooting

Thompson center doesn't make one. They only have black powder models.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quinton View Post
    Thompson center doesn't make one. They only have black powder models.

Just exactly what is it you think muzzle loaders shoot? I know the Savage CAN use smokeless, or at least it used to, but everything else uses BP. There are very low smoke powders if that bothers you. There is no real disadvantage to using BP other than more frequent cleaning, but it will be as accurate as smokeless in any rifles you can use legally on that hunt.

Just make sure you know the states laws pertaining to muzzle loader rifles. In CA for instance, you cannot use a scope, on a rifle, for a muzzle loader only hunt, open sights only. Some states, I have heard, restrict the use of 209 primers as well, in other words no in-lines. Better to know up front.

Basic Member
    I had a remington smoke less powder muzzle loader.... it wasnt very good. I recommend using a dedicated gun for that use.

Basic Member
    The cva's seem to be good guns from what I've read. Florida doesn't seem to be to restrictive on muzzle loaders. Has to be a minimum caliber size and be loaded from barrel. So inlines, 209's, smokeless and black powder should work.

Basic Member
    Seems like the states that limit weapons that give you long range benifits are the states where you would benifit the most from long range shots with more large open areas.

Team Savage
    Buy a good 50 caliber in-line muzzle loader that uses 209 primers. Blackhorn 209 is a very clean burning BP substitute that will give you better velocities and less corrosive than other BP substitutes. One of the Barnes flat base muzzle loader bullets with MMP sabot will most likely give you very good accuracy and down range performance. Go to www.randywakeman.com for lots of good ML information.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Buy a good 50 caliber in-line muzzle loader that uses 209 primers. Blackhorn 209 is a very clean burning BP substitute that will give you better velocities than BP substitutes. One of the Barnes flat base muzzle loader bullets with HHP sabot will most likely give you very good accuracy and good down range performance. Go to www.randywakeman.com for lots of good ML information.
    Thank you