Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Boyd's still around?

Is Boyd's still around?

Anyone know if Boyd's is still in business? I ordered a stock in April and still haven't seen it. Emails are unanswered and phone calls are not answered or returned. Their website says "in process", of course it's said that for a couple of months now.

Basic Member
    I am on their mailing list and just received an email from them today. They were behind schedule and hard to get ahold of when I ordered my stock about a year ago.

Rutland Plywood Corp. burnt to the ground several months ago, was posted about here. No surprise things are backed-up. Was big news in the shooting world when it happened. 95% of all the laminate stocks sold in the US come from them. I suspect that is why Boyd's is "Expanding" their facility, to be able to hold more blanks and offset this issue.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

That fire was almost two years ago, and Boyds seems to be going through periods of varying behind-ness since then. They've never been great after the Rutland fire, but there were times when they'd ship in fairly reasonable amounts of time.

From my order history:
    Ordered 12/14/2014 - Delivered 01/05/2015
    Ordered 01/05/2015 - Delivered 01/15/2015
    Ordered 01/07/2015 - Delivered 01/22/2015 (Return of the previous order)
    Ordered 09/17/2015 - Delivered 10/05/2015

I'm not sure why most recent or earliest orders aren't in my account history. I don't remember the waits being excessive. At least that's never been my complaint about Boyds.

Boyd's was closed from 4 to 8 July. They are moving to a new facility. Just got a new stock from them on Thursday and their Customer Service line is working.

Basic Member
    have always had good service from them before, just order a stock tonight and then saw it was at least 2 weeks out will see what happens.

Doc S
    I've been waiting on three orders since May 22nd. I just emailed their customer service to cancel these orders. If it's going to take this long with such terrible customer service (The communication process on their end needs some serious work!), I'll take my business elsewhere.

Corey Schwanz
    I ordered a stock on June 23rd and just emailed a couple days ago to check the status. Got a reply the next morning saying they were behind on production times due to their move and an annual plant shutdown and was told 2-3 more weeks. Good response time on the email back to me, hopefully they make good on the 2-3 week time quote.

Well, my order from April 28 is still "in progress" with no estimate of completion.

Basic Member
    They are still around. I ordered 3 Axis stocks June 6th and just got a shipping notice/tracking info today.

Finally got an email from them. No estimate of completion though. Only been three months now.

Basic Member
    I was told three weeks for mine when I ordered, it came last week and took almost five weeks.

Basic Member
    Are some models being produced and shipped faster than others? Been thinking about a thumbhole for my .22-250. More custom versions taking longer to complete?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    ^^^ I can't find any rhyme or reason to it. They might do them in batches when possible. I have been waiting quite a while for a few different models. I was last told they were expecting to be caught up the end of July. Still no sign of them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselmudder View Post
    Are some models being produced and shipped faster than others? Been thinking about a thumbhole for my .22-250. More custom versions taking longer to complete?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Go here; http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhol...k_p_14233.html

These are made by Revolution. Look them up for other models.

Last thumbhole I ordered took 3 or 4 days to my door. They come with factory looking pillars already installed, and are pretty much drop in and go. You may need to order a new trigger guard if your 22-250 is a model 12FV, but that's only a couple of bucks. I bedded mine with Devcon 10110. Shoots very nice!

First Shirt
    I'd had good results from Boyd's for years, but the last order kinda soured me on them. Ordered a left-handed M-11 short-action stock, blind box mag, cut to 12.75" length of pull. Spent a good three hours getting the mag well inletted enough to actually get the action into the stock, and then discovered that the forward action screw hole was a full screw diameter off location. Called to send it back, and was told that because it was a custom order (short LOP), I couldn't return it.

Finally got it to work, but it took a lot more sweat and effort than it should have. Wound up accra-glassing the orginal hole, then drilling a new one, and glassing the bushing into the new hole.

Unhappy

Shazam, the Boyd's website says my stock has been completed and shipped! A bit over three months but at least they took $30 off. With my luck it'll get lost in the mail.

cttb
    I placed an order for a stock in May. I called 3-4 times without ever getting a person who could do anything other than take an order. I never received a return phone call. A few weeks ago, I received an email that said Boyd's was behind and would be caught up by the end of July. The website shows the order as still in progress.

If Boyd's had said it would take three months to get the stock, I would never have ordered one from them. I certainly will not be ordering from them again. My guess is they will be out of business within a year. From reading about Boyd's over the years, they've always had problems delivering. Instead of getting better, they're getting worse. When Boyd's website says they deliver in about two weeks, and they don't have any ability to meet that estimate (which they clearly don't), Boyd's is committing fraud, pure and simple.

Basic Member
    I ordered a stock from Boyd's last fall and had it in my hands in 10 days :-)

Tpsfoto
    If you want a Boyd stock and want it quick....DIP has several in stock....I just bought the thumbhole for a MKII for $99.00 plus ship
    came to me in less than a week

https://www.diproductsinc.com
    here is their website......they make great hardware and have some Boyd stocks

Basic Member
    Dip ????????

Tpsfoto
    https://www.diproductsinc.com
    here is their website......they make great hardware and have some Boyd stocks

Basic Member
    gotta say I have several Boyd's stocks on my rifles and they are all great and all have been fast shipping EXCEPT this last one, ordered it July 13th and now it is august 18 and finaliy got a reply from them it is still at least 2 weeks out but they refunded my shipping so it is free ( I would rather have the stock now) now happy right now . 5 weeks waiting was bad enough but to add 2 more?

Hemi45
    I phoned in an order to Boyd's earlier this week. I was told it will be 3-4 weeks to make and a handful of days to ship once complete. I told the lady about all the bad press they're getting online and to please just be straight about how long it will take to get it to me. She seemed honest and realistic about the criticism and delays. I decided to take the chance. I have a Hog Hunter and even when shopping with non-name rifle specs there really isn't a lot out there for that model. When looking for a stock that can go from bench to field (shape, weight, profile, etc) there seems to be Boyd's and McMilan and I'm not willing to spend $500+ on a stock for this project. If I get the stock in mid to late September I'll be a satisfied customer.

I have always been really pleased with Boyds Stocks. I bet I have ordered 20 of them over the last couple years for myself and clients and never had one of them take longer than 10 days to my door until this last month. I had two clients order stocks first of July, one was a lightweight thumbhole for a Ruger and the other was a prairie hunter for a Savage that was supposedly a return that was offered at a discount price and ready to ship. We got the Ruger one at the end of July and still waiting on the one that was supposedly in stock ready to ship. I would probably be more upset if it were mine I was waiting on but I can understand the struggles of a business upgrading a warehouse and getting things situated before returning to full function. Being a business owner now I understand that some decisions need to be made based on what's good for your business at the risk of losing some business and upsetting customers in the short term. I'm sure this was a huge calculated risk on Boyds part as they have no doubt spent hundreds of thousands to upgrade their business in the hopes that the upgrades will allow them to sell more product in the long run. Given today's political pressures placed on business associated with the gun industry, we should be thankful that Boyds is still around and still making great products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast