Thread: Can I build my FLCP into a 1200yard gun?

RegisG

Can I build my FLCP into a 1200yard gun?

I have an FLCP in 243. There are not a lot of "off-the-shelf" left hand choices (Savage or others) so, I would like to use what I have and do whatever is necessary to make a 600-1200 yard gun.
    I do know the barrel is easily upgraded but, what else should I plan on to get it competitive (local matches only). My preference is to take it one step at a time but, in the end will I likely wish that I would have started with a different action?

Appreciate any tips or experience in this area.

Regis

schnyd112
    Good hand loads, trigger, barrel, stock. (Practice)

Not necessarily in that order, but if you get a nice barrel, there is no point of putting it in a Tupperware stock. the first thing I changed on my long range rig was the trigger and I saw almost immediate results. The big money will come when you decide the only thing left to change is your scope. That is where I am now but to upgrade I will be spending $1500+.

There is always (usually) at least one savage getting ribbons at our local matches so there is no doubt that action can do it.

Practice is key to shooting longer ranges. If you want to shoot that far you need to know what the wind is going to do, what your elevation may do and how the weather may affect your bullet.

If the factory 243w barrel shoots sub moa, than handloads with 105amax over H-4831 will work very well up to 1200yards. Hornady 105gr BTHP match are another good option for handloading for the 9.25" factory Savage barrel. H-4350, H-1000, Retumbo and a few other powders are good too. I prefer Winchester brass over Lapua (call me stupid but I can't get Lapua brass to shoot as good as Winchester 243w brass)

Once the Factory barrel is shot out, you can upgrade to a aftermarket barrel either in 243w, 260rem, 6.5creedmoor or 6.5x47Lapua. If you don't handload, 6.5 Creedmoor is the only logical choice since factory Match ammo is more than adequate for long range fun matches.

You can change the stock and trigger but the savage accustock and accutrigger will work just as good until you wanna replace them.

Practice Practice Practice !

Put a target trigger spring in it.
    Easy 2.5 lb pull.
    Then a load with a good high BC bullet.
    A scope that tracks is important also.

I started out like that with my 11xp.

Now i I have it in a Chassis with a prefit.

RegisG
    Appreciate all responders. I do hand load and settled on Sierra 95gr as shooting best with 41gr I4350. So, looks like trigger upgrade first.

Thanks,
    Regis

bodywerks
    I'd do a 243AI or 260AI barrel myself. If you're looking to spend a lot of time beyond 600 yards you're going to want as high of a bc and muzzle velocity as you can get.
    Sure, the 243 and 260 well 'get' you to 1200, but actually getting on target in even slightly less than optimal conditions is going to prove difficult. Both will have to spend a lot of time flying to get that far and will therefore get influenced by wind and other elements more than a more dedicated long range round.
    If you really want to reach out, consider changing your bolt face to a magnum and go with a 7mm or 6.5 WSM or SAUM. The 6.5 will be a laser to 1k with a 3100+ muzzle velocity. Barrel burner, too, but what's that term, 'pay to play'?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
    I'd do a 243AI or 260AI barrel myself. If you're looking to spend a lot of time beyond 600 yards you're going to want as high of a bc and muzzle velocity as you can get.
    Sure, the 243 and 260 well 'get' you to 1200, but actually getting on target in even slightly less than optimal conditions is going to prove difficult. Both will have to spend a lot of time flying to get that far and will therefore get influenced by wind and other elements more than a more dedicated long range round.
    If you really want to reach out, consider changing your bolt face to a magnum and go with a 7mm or 6.5 WSM or SAUM. The 6.5 will be a laser to 1k with a 3100+ muzzle velocity. Barrel burner, too, but what's that term, 'pay to play'?
    260 at 1200+ is not difficult at all.
    243 will get there nicely but misses are at times hard to spot.

bodywerks
    I guess that depends on what you're trying to hit and in what conditions. Like I said, the 260 well get there all day long. But a 6.5 saum well get there better and with a higher percentage on target every time, guaranteed. Lower time of flight and flatter trajectory means less time to get bucked by wind and lower vertical spread if the estimated distance is a little off or SD of the load is a little high.