Thread: PTG DBM install observations

fastex500

PTG DBM install observations

I am in the process of building a PRS rig using a 12FV action. Picked up a Boyds varmit pro, a CBI 6.5CM barrel with recoil lug and nut from the guys at myaccuratebarrel. This is my 3rd savage bolt gun build, but the first time I have done the inletting. Previous builds were on a McRee and a previously inletted stock from CDI.

Picked up the PTG 4.4" DBM and as many others have said, it wasn't a "drop in" on the Boyds. No big deal, I made a template, measured my inlet and clamped the stock up in my mill. Everything went well, did a few light cuts, checking fit along the way. Installed with new shorter screws (thanks to cron's post) and checked feed, all was well.

Then went to check trigger and bolt release...... stuck like it was welded together. Loosened the DBM and it worked again. Started looking at clearance issues and found that the front of the trigger where the sear engages was bottoming out on the top of the DBM! Poked around and found the picture on cron's post and noticed the top of his DBM just in front of the trigger opening was recessed.... mine was not!

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...h-Bottom-Metal

Stock photo of my PTG DBM:

Photo from cron's post showing recess:

So back to the mill to recess the top to allow the trigger to move and all is well. Just in case anyone else is having these issues, hope this helps. I called and left a message for one of the tech's at PTG, maybe I'll hear back after the holiday.
    Last edited by fastex500; 07-04-2016 at 12:19 PM.