Thread: New 223 - Feed issue

Basic Member

New 223 - Feed issue

I took my new 223 build to the range this morning and everything worked great except I had a significant issue getting rounds to feed into the chamber. It's a (new from NSS) Savage varmint action with a McGowen 223 SS barrel and a PTG 223 bolt head. I had the same problem feeding either from the Savage 223 magazine or single feeding. The tip of the bullet hits end of the barrel just below the entrance to the chamber. If I 'manually' feed the bullet tip into the chamber it will chamber fine when closing the bolt.

Here's a photo of where the tip of the bullet gets stuck right below the chamber:

A 260 Rem or 284 Win round has no problem feeding into the chamber (up to the point where the 223 chamber is too small).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Did you try feeding from the magazine really fast ??

I find that feeding from the mag really slow can cause issues. Feeding fast from the mag is flawless.

As for single feeding, This is normal, I too have to make sure the tip of the bullet goes in the chamber before closing the bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    I took my new 223 build to the range this morning and everything worked great except I had a significant issue getting rounds to feed into the chamber. It's a (new from NSS) Savage varmint action with a McGowen 223 SS barrel and a PTG 223 bolt head. I had the same problem feeding either from the Savage 223 magazine or single feeding. The tip of the bullet hits end of the barrel just below the entrance to the chamber. If I 'manually' feed the bullet tip into the chamber it will chamber fine when closing the bolt.

Here's a photo of where the tip of the bullet gets stuck right below the chamber:

A 260 Rem or 284 Win round has no problem feeding into the chamber (up to the point where the 223 chamber is too small).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    I don't know if the issue is related but...

It doesn't look like there's any appreciable chamfer on the chamber mouth. That would make feeding slowly tough.

My M11 .223 Feeds OK, but not like one of the better actions (push-feed or crf). I can easily make it jam but I can avoid it easily enough, too.

I loaded some dummy rounds that were way long just to see how well it would feed long rounds if I put a long-throated barrel on it to shoot 80 grainers. They didn't cycle very well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    There's no really nice way to put this...that's some butt - ugly machining practice right there. Looks like not much of an attempt to face the breach and also no broken edge on the chamber. Maybe you've just got a really good lens that makes it look bad.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    There's no really nice way to put this...that's some butt - ugly machining practice right there. Looks like not much of an attempt to face the breach and also no broken edge on the chamber. Maybe you've just got a really good lens that makes it look bad.
    I'm ignorant. Is it feasible/advisable for a gunsmith to chamfer an edge on the chamber?

Thanks.

Here's a better photo of the 'situation'.

Banned
    If that is the real condition of the rear of the barrel you need a new barrel from McGowan.

That is as bad a machining work as I have seen. It should be totally smooth with a small recess that is also smooth.

If you got it from NSS as indicated get ahold of Jim.

I would like to see a picture of the threads, what I am seeing does not look right.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onewolf View Post
    I'm ignorant. Is it feasible/advisable for a gunsmith to chamfer an edge on the chamber?

Thanks.

Here's a better photo of the 'situation'.

I don't think it's a lost cause and most likely could be cleaned up. Be that as it may, I imagine NSS would like to see that before you send it away to someone else. If you're happy with the accuracy then if it were me I would want to keep the barrel even if it needs a little love.

Regarding your feeding issue, I'd lay odds it's a magazine spring/follower problem. Is it detachable or fixed? Could you put up a pic of that?

It looks like a used barrel set back.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The barrel was ordered direct from McGowen in a 'full' custom configuration. I have several other (new) McGowen barrels that I will examine/photograph to compare to this barrel.

Basic Member
    Here's a new (uninstalled/un-fired) McGowen 6.5 Grendel barrel

And here's a new (uninstalled/un-fired) McGowen 260 Rem Grendel barrel

It appears the 260 has _some_ chamfer around chamber whereas the 223 and Grendel do not appear to have much at all (however I don't think a chamfer would resolve the feed issue).

Basic Member
    I don't think it's a lost cause and most likely could be cleaned up. Be that as it may, I imagine NSS would like to see that before you send it away to someone else. If you're happy with the accuracy then if it were me I would want to keep the barrel even if it needs a little love.

Regarding your feeding issue, I'd lay odds it's a magazine spring/follower problem. Is it detachable or fixed? Could you put up a pic of that?
    It's a brand new unaltered Savage 223 DBM.

Basic Member
    Got it. I had one of these in a Model 10 Predator Hunter in .223 with centerfeed dbm like yours. It would not reliably feed the long 75gr. AMAX etc from the mag. It was fine with a conventional HPBT such as the 69gr Nosler CC or Sierra. Was good to go with the various 55gr. pills also. I never fooled around with the feed lips as I only had one mag and didn't want to destroy it. You might try a different slug and see what happens.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the tool marks not having much to do with your feeding issue, even though it looks mighty unprofessional.

Basic Member
    Got it. I had one of these in a Model 10 Predator Hunter in .223 with centerfeed dbm like yours. It would not reliably feed the long 75gr. AMAX etc from the mag. It was fine with a conventional HPBT such as the 69gr Nosler CC or Sierra. Was good to go with the various 55gr. pills also. I never fooled around with the feed lips as I only had one mag and didn't want to destroy it. You might try a different slug and see what happens.

I tend to agree with your assessment of the tool marks not having much to do with your feeding issue, even though it looks mighty unprofessional.
    What's ironic is that I ordered the 223 and 6.5 Grendel barrels at the same time not knowing which I would build first. I ended up choosing to build the 223 first because I assumed I would not have feed issues whereas the 6.5 Grendel requires a more 'custom' magazine to feed. :)

I just looked at my McGowan 223 7tw Barrel and it looks the same as yours. Now that I think about it i had feeding issues with it as well. Pulled it off and put it in storage.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I run into the issue of tip hitting chamber edge w/my McGowan .223 bbl as well & always when I load a 1-2 rounds in my blind magazine and close the bolt slowly. Don't have it when I chamber fast though.
    It also does that if I set my COL past 2.290", so I stick at 2.280".
    The chamber face has the same machine look as all your barrels.

Basic Member
    Screw the machine work, I want to know what kind of camera you're using! Those pics are amazingly detailed, you can clearly see the tearing of metal on the face of breech. Now I'm going to have to take a close look at my new Criterion

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Screw the machine work, I want to know what kind of camera you're using! Those pics are amazingly detailed, you can clearly see the tearing of metal on the face of breech. Now I'm going to have to take a close look at my new Criterion
    The first photo was taken 'handheld' with an Olympus EP2 micro 4/3 camera using an Olympus 60mm macro lens.

The later (better) photos were taken using a tripod and remote shutter release using a Canon 70D camera mounted with a Canon 100mm f2.8 IS macro lens.

Banned
    I am going to have to pull the 308 bull (X caliber) off my 111 and look, unless I am loosing it and so excited to get it on I missed it, but I sure don't think looked like that.

The take off from the 111 (original Savage) is completely smooth with no machine marks.

Curious what others have seen from Shilen, Criterion and the like. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy if they don't have more pride in their work.