Thread: Shoot and See @ 500?

Basic Member

Shoot and See @ 500?

I finally found a range in WI that I can shoot out to 500 on that doesn't cost your first born to join and/or require you to only shoot from a bench using a rest. Woo hoo!

Now, the one limitation I have is that it's paper only. I was hoping to be able to shoot steel so I can get that instant feedback.

For those of you that shoot paper out that far, do you use shoot n see targets? I am assuming I'll need something more than my 10x bino's to get a decent idea of where my shots are hitting. Are you guys using a spotter and what magnification? Not looking to evaluate benchrest groups from shooting position, just having a solid feeling for hits/misses and where things are ending up.

Lots of learning for this guy that's been limited to 100 yards from a bench for basically all of his shooting.

Hair Boxer I personally only shoot out to 200, but I do not like shoot n see or any other BLACK back ground target at any distance. They make it very difficult to see reticle placement on target. I like any of the florescent color paper (card stock) and then put my circles with a marker. You can pick out the bullet hole just as easy and they are a whole lot cheaper, make one then run a bunch off on the copier.
    Just another option.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

You should be able to see the shoot-n-see with a fair spotting scope @ 500. I've got a Redfield 20-60. It's not top of the lone by any means it works and was reasonable... $200. I shot 750 once and could see my "hits" on a shoot-n-see with the Redfield.
    Hope this helps some.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    What if you used fluorescent note cards and placed a white note card over with your aim point? Poor man's shoot and see. I'll going to give it a go, I can get 300 easy, 450 with a little work where I shoot. It's what I'm planning on doing weigh load dev on my 300wm

Basic Member
    All great feedback and info, thanks for sharing!

Froggy - good point on black targets. At 100 I haven't noticed it much, but further out and with only 6x on my .308 I am sure it becomes less easy to hold consistently in same spot.

Scooter - thanks for confirming that even a modest spotter should help pick up hits out to 500.

SHM - very interested in if your two colors notecard trick works. I could see it doing so for sure. My wife is an artist, so we have LOADS of colored paper of all sizes around. I may play a bit too and will share what I find out.

Basic Member
    It's a slower day here at work so I got to thinking about this. heavy weight paper in the back for your color, and lighter weight in the front for the target should make the under color easily visible. I may have to try this tomorrow.

As for 6x, it will be hard to spot most anything past 200yrds.. The father in law has a 2-7x on his 204 and it's difficult shooting at 300 to same point of aim for me.

You mite try " bullseyetargets.com" they really work.

I've found the less black the better I can see so I use a white background such as cheap paper plates or copy paper, etc., and the 3" orange dots you can get at walmart. I've not shot out to 500 yet, but at 200 it works for me. I've got a spotting scope (20-60 or so) that works good for me so far. I used it at a 1000 yd range right after I got it and I could see holes in the white parts of the targets and dirt splashes on the backstop, so it's good enough for me right now. I could not see holes in the black portions of the targets at 1000 but not many can unless you've got the really high $$ spotters.

H B or anyone else check this out http://www.click-n-shoot.com/html/free.html I have an old version don't even know if it will load on the new software, but I used to use it all the time.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

At 330 yards I see my hits on the shoot-N-see targes with my 30x XRS scope and 21x dmr scope, no need for spotter scope.

At 500 yards you'll need a 60x spotting scope, a 50x will also work. The better the glass the easier you'll see the holes. Don't buy the cheapest spotting scope, spend at least $200 or you'll regret it.

Basic Member
    This is not my idea, but it works! Take a piece of plywood. Staple a thin mil black garbage bag to it. Take white spray paint and paint the whole target. Then take red spray paint and paint your bullseye. You'll be able to see see your hits at very long ranges. Note: cardboard will not work. It needs to be a more rigid. 1/4 ply might work but always use just scrap ply and it's usually 1/2. Also only use latex paint. apply paint in several thin coats. It helps to keep the plastic from wrinkling. Home made shoot an see. impacts can be as much as 1 1/2 to 2".

Your welcome

Basic Member
    try the 1" black dots on copier paper, less than 2 cents each to make, that''s what i use.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Bruce you can see a 1" black dot at 500 yards?

I can easily see .22 cal holes in white target paper at 500 yards with a Sightron 36X scope and a NF 8-32X NXS scope. That is if there isn't much mirage. If the mirage is very bad you really have a hard time finding a single hole but once a group starts to form you can see it.

I'd recommend the Sightron 36X target scope for longer ranges if you don't want to spend s lot of money they are around $400. I like being able to see what I'm doing through the scope rather than rely and spend money on a spotting scope.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

I can only shoot to 200 but I use the 1" shoot n see pasters on the back of desk size calendars I get for nothing.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?