Thread: Bushnell Elite Tactical vs. Vortex Viper PST 6-24x30 30MM Review

wellbilldancesays

Bushnell Elite Tactical vs. Vortex Viper PST 6-24x30 30MM Review

So I have both of these, so this is my honest review of each. I'm also not a blinded fan boy, I call it how I see it.

Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24X50 30mm with Illuminated FFP MILDOT Recticle Paid $816.93 Total to my door.

Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 30mm with Illuminated FFP EBR Recticle $749.99 Total to my door.

Short story the Bushnell is far superior in terms of glass, construction, eye relief and fit and finish.

So I had the Vortex first and back when I got it I was one of those "Bushnells Suck" guys. I do like the Vortex and it is a good scope with a lot of features but hands down the Bushnell is on another level.

MADE IN_______
    Bushnell Japan. Vortex Phillipines. I have a pair of Leupold Binocs that are made in Japan and they are awesome. (Even though Leuy would try to trick you in thinking everything is made in the USA far from it.) Everything I buy whether it be fishing reels scopes, knives if it Made in Japan it just seems to be quality. An good example is my Shimano fishing reels, they are all good but the ones Made in Japan are just better than the ones made in Phillipines.
    Winner Bushnell

GLASS
    The Vortex has really good glass BUT once it is over 20 power it gets noticeably hazier, it's still good though. Bushnell glass is excellent the whole way through and stays really clear and bright the whole way through. Bushnell also has the rainguard which is nice.
    Winner Bushnell

EYE RELIEF
    Both excellent on lower power, the Bushnell just seems a bit better at the higher power.
    Winner Bushnell

RETICLE
    They are both illuminated Vortex is Red and Bushnell Green. Whatever you prefer but the Vortex seems to bleed over on the higher illumination and has to be cranked up more to be seen.. Bushnells illumination is better through the range, maybe thats a red vs green thing. Vortex has an EBR reticle which is cool and Bushnells is the simple MIL DOT. Preference thing here, I like the MIL DOT. Seems better all the way through magnification.
    Winner Bushnell

TURRETS
    Pretty close here they both have good turrets. Vortex does have a ZERO Stop with shims but I have never put them in. Bushnell doesn't but I don't care about that, might change my mind if I start turning them in the dark. The Bushnells have bigger rounded knobs , The Vortex has smaller sharper knobs. Both click well and seem to track good. Toss up to Preference.
    Winner Toss Up

RUGGEDNESS
    Hands down the Bushnell . There is a video online of a guy torturing the Bushnell really hard. Freezing it, submerging it in water for a day. Dropping it on grass and concrete. It'll make you cringe and the Bushnell held up really, really well. I really don't think my Vortex would fairly nearly as well, of course I haven't tried it. Both have lifetime warranties. I've had to use the Vortex warranty before,not on this scope, a cheap crossfire and they were really good about it. Years ago I had to use the Bushnell warranty on an even cheaper Bushnell Banner and they were good about it.
    Winner Bushnell

FIT AND FINISH
    Both are nice but again Bushnell edges it out. Little things like the off white paint and the coating on the scope just seems better.
    WINNER BUSHNELL

So for the extra $60 I paid the Bushnell Elite is a far better deal. Some people just can't get over the Bushnell name, I have friends like that and I used to be that way but the bottom line is the Bushnell Elite are an awesome product.

My favorite thing to say to the fan boys is " My Bushnell is better than your Leuopold!" and it's true! Had to throw that in there cause Leuy fan buys seem to get the most butt hurt, maybe cause they over paid on something they think is USA made.

Basic Member
    ...and the RainGuard is a GREAT feature.
    I've pretty much decided for deer hunting purposes in Michigan, I'd rather have a cheap Bushnell (and yours isn't cheap) with RainGuard than any high end scope.

I've had many Bushnells and sold most of them. Their 4000/4200 and 6500 were very tough scopes but the clarity was never realized at higher power and never lived up to the name. The older 3x9 4200 is hard to beet for a all purpose durable hunting scope. I think it is fair to say with Bushnell once you get up in the price range the quality of glass goes way up. The newer elites are golden but the older tactical elites played out after about 18X
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have a couple 6500's... very clear at high power. Far better than the 3200 and 4200.

16X yes. 24 no

wellbilldancesays
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    16X yes. 24 no

what scope are you talking about?

Basic Member
    Theres a good article over at 24 hour campfire on the home page by John Barsness about rifle scopes.
    He deals with some of the things said about things like good glass and such without offering an opinion on a specific brand.

wellbilldancesays
    Yeah that's good read.

Quote Originally Posted by wellbilldancesays View Post
    what scope are you talking about?
    The 6500 was formerly only made in 2.5-16x 42/50mm.
    The 4200 went higher and peaked with the 6-24x50. Anything over 20X was a blur and that issue was well known.

The newer Bushnells are more expensive and have better optics.

The newest tactical Bushnell is a well appreciated tool in the tactical areana.

I have a 3.5-21 DMR and 4.5-30 XRS, 34mm tubes and G2 reticles.

Worth every penny.