Thread: My Model 10T 6.5 Creedmoor Long Range Target Rifle is up and running!

My Model 10T 6.5 Creedmoor Long Range Target Rifle is up and running!

I thought I would follow up on my new Savage purchase, my first bolt gun I am using for long range shooting. With a budget of about $1k (excluding optics) this is where I am at:
    -I got the Savage Model 10T in 6.5 Creedmoor- Got the last on on sale at my local Cabellas. Cost was $570 out the door.
    - I mounted my 4-20x50 Burris XTR II Scope in Seekins Low Rings on the factory installed pic rail
    - To get a good sight picture I needed a cheek riser. Got a Fulton Armory strap on adjustable riser in a trade off EE. Its designed from the M1A so I needed to layer some closed cell foam ( can see the red in pics) between the stock and riser for a snug fit. Adjusted at its lowest setting it works great for me.
    - Harris 9-13 HBLMS Bipod w/ T-Nutz Swivel tension lever - (tried my 6-9" but found I liked the longer legs better)
    - AccuShot Std Height Monopod
    - Vortex LoPro Scope mounted Level
    - With a $35 rifle bag and $10 Ballistics calculator (AE) for my iPhone total price come it at pretty much exactly $1k (excluding the optic and ammo of course)

I have shot the gun twice now, once with 120gr A-Max (just one box) and the second time, this past Saturday, shot three boxes of 140gr ELD-M. VERRY happy so far. With the help of the ballistics app I was hitting 12" steel at 4,5,600 yards on the first shot- no problem. I tried for the 1K yard target just for the hell off it but no luck there yet. I need to practice and improve as a shooter on this type of gun. This is the first bolt gun I have owned and still getting used to the ergonomics and LIGHT single stage trigger (I dialed my accu-trigger all the way down). My groups on paper where not close to as what I am able to shoot with my 6.5G AR. I also need to get my hands on a chronograph so my calculator has correct velocity data, not just whats published on the box. I am also thinking a muzzle brake would be a nice upgrade to help me spot my shots.

Basic Member
    I have been looking for the Burris scope you have. None available anywhere. Congrats on scoring one. You definitely need a chrono to input the correct fps coming out your barrel. Think once you get that, should be able to dial in to 1000 yards with success. I spent the bucks on a labradar chrono. Expensive but worth every penny.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    I have been looking for the Burris scope you have. None available anywhere. Congrats on scoring one. You definitely need a chrono to input the correct fps coming out your barrel. Think once you get that, should be able to dial in to 1000 yards with success. I spent the bucks on a labradar chrono. Expensive but worth every penny.
    Thanks for your input. Did you check AMAZON/SWFA for the scope? Also keep your eye on the SWFA sample list you never know what might pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is one I found on Amazon via Optics planet shipping July 18. It's a great scope. I wish I had the cash to buy another!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0140...=burris+201044

Basic Member
    Thanks for the find. Am looking for the SCR MOA reticle. Am on a bunch of lists to be notified when they get them. Currently have the SWFA SS 20X on the creedmoor. Was on my 50 BMG until I sold that. Thanks again.

Texan Til I Die
    I think you'll really like that 10T. I have one in 308 and my long range shooting partner has one in 6.5. I'm getting 3/8 inch groups out of mine and he's getting single ragged holes. I think once I get my bullet seating depth worked out, I can get to single holes with mine too.

Here's a 5 shot group I shot last Saturday using a bipod and back bag. It isn't the best group I've ever shot, but it's the only one I have a pic of. The bull is 1/2 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan Til I Die View Post
    I think you'll really like that 10T. I have one in 308 and my long range shooting partner has one in 6.5. I'm getting 3/8 inch groups out of mine and he's getting single ragged holes. I think once I get my bullet seating depth worked out, I can get to single holes with mine too.

Here's a 5 shot group I shot last Saturday using a bipod and back bag. It isn't the best group I've ever shot, but it's the only one I have a pic of. The bull is 1/2 inch.

From 100 yards? That's a nice group. Are you hand loading?

Texan Til I Die
    Yes, that's from 100. I'm shooting a rather unconventional load. I don't mind sharing, but being new here I'm not sure what the rules are on posting specific loads.

Yes, that's from 100. I'm shooting a rather unconventional load. I don't mind sharing, but being new here I'm not sure what the rules are on posting specific loads.
    I don't reload so sharing the info would be lost on me. Maybe I will hit you up for it some time on the future. Are you and your buddies rifles stock 10T's? No major components upgraded? I ask because I found a thread on ARF yesterday that's was a little troubling. Lots of people reporting poor accuracy from the Model 10T in 6.5 but great accuracy from the 10t 308.

Texan Til I Die
    Both are stock except for barrel threading and adding a brake. It shot fine before adding the brake, but I like to see my impacts when shooting long range. We're both using the Precision Armament M11 brakes.

HardrockZ28
    Please do share your load info, all load info is for infoonly and no one should test anyone load without a full work up.
    Reason I’m ask is I just got the same 10T from Cabela’s 2weeks ago. I love it and this is my first Savage, have always been a Remingtonman
    My first day out with the 6.5 and shot a box of factory Hornady ELD 140gr best3 shot group at 200 yards was just under .250
    I know everyone talks about H4350 powder as the powder forthe 6.5, problem is none to be found around here. What I have found so far isIMR4350 and Reloader 17 that I just started to do my load testing.
    I have found a load area to work on with both powders aftermy ladder testing. Just want to see whatothers or using. I have lots of other powders at the house as I shot 308 and223 as well.

Texan Til I Die
    I'm loading for the 308, but I can get my friend's 6.5 load data. I know he's using Varget, Hornady brass, CCI primers and 140 ELD-M.

Nice rifles gents !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I don't reload so sharing the info would be lost on me. Maybe I will hit you up for it some time on the future. Are you and your buddies rifles stock 10T's? No major components upgraded? I ask because I found a thread on ARF yesterday that's was a little troubling. Lots of people reporting poor accuracy from the Model 10T in 6.5 but great accuracy from the 10t 308.

You probably read my post about poor accuracy. I sent my 6.5 in as groupings shooting 129 SST and 140 ELD-M were not that great. My 10T 308 has been a tac driver from the 1st shot, which I expected the creedmoor to do to. They test fired it at there range and got a .9 group so they sent it back untouched. I ordered 143 ELD-X while it was at savage. When I got it back, I went to the range. Nice and tight minus the flyer with 5 shots per target. Not sure if my creedmoor just liked the heavier bullet or if savage did do something and not tell me. You can see my targets in the Cadex OT Core build in the stock section. Just put it back in the new chassis so hope it still shoots well. Just got my dies in the mail today so hope to start loading up soon to test. You can't beat the price for the 10T rifles in both 308 and 6.5 creedmoor.

I have heard the ELD-X can be s good target round. Will try it out

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I have heard the ELD-X can be s good target round. Will try it out

Keep us posted !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

code.e.616
    Just picked one of these up tonight. You thread helped me decide to go through with it. Thanks for the extra push!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Texan Til I Die
    I'm loading for the 308, but I can get my friend's 6.5 load data. I know he's using Varget, Hornady brass, CCI primers and 140 ELD-M.
    Correction on the 6.5 CM load (this is what happens when you get old and try to rely on memory).

Hornady brass
    CCI 200 primer
    RL17 41.5 gr
    Hornady 140 ELD-M seated about 3/1000's off of the lands

Shot again today. Shot the best group yet.... 5 shots About half moa @ 100. I have decided I hate the stock. Shot my precision AR (PRS stock 18" 223 Wylde) after shooting the 10T. The feel and overall ergonomics of the AR are some much easier for me to shoot. Much more steady and solid. So I am going to throw my 10T in a chassis system.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting. Your right about the AR feeling better when shooting. I enjoy my Cadex chassis on my creedmoor.

Nice shooting. Your right about the AR feeling better when shooting. I enjoy my Cadex chassis on my creedmoor.
    Cadex chassis look great. Unfortunately they are gonna be out of my price range this time around. I am looking at XLR and MTB. How is your scope mounted in your chassis? Rings? If so what height? Would an AR height scope mount work well with a chassis system?

Basic Member
    Am using seekins rings. Low (0.76) to keep the scope real close. Don't think you want your scope to high as an AR height scope mount may get to high. I have a pic of mine in the stock section under cadex build. You can see how close I have mine.