Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first match of the year...

LongRange

first match of the year...

and the winds were playing he!! as usual...the weather was calling for rain and 40-60mph winds but it was only over cast and i think i heard up to 22mph winds...ive shot 2 seasons at these matches this is my 3rd and have never seen the wind blowing from our backs at the line...yesterday it was but was shifting just enough right and left to make wind calls pretty tough.
    i shot a 26 which isnt great but im ok with it as i had a couple of issues...my equipment ran flawlessly so no excuses just a couple of mistakes on my party and the 6mm guys got me a little worked up LOL....

there was 39 shooters and thats the biggest turn out ever...looks like its going to be a good year...

safety briefing...note the flag...

first relay...again note the flag...the wind does this just about ever match here and the problem is its WAY different at the targets...

the line...

there was A LOT of high end equipment on the line yesterday...how much?...id be willing to bet enough to buy a new house!!...and the funny part is we all spend THOUSANDS of dollars and ENDLESS hours re-loading and practicing in the hopes of winning a 50c ribbon LOL!!

GOOD TIMES!!!

first match of the year...

Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

LongRange
    this one was shot with the savage...hoping to have the new one running for the next one...and it was pretty close to the 20% down payment LOL!!

Basic Member
    The 6mm guys got me a little worked up??

LongRange
    yep...i walked down the line and talked to some of the 6mm guys and most said "oh were killin it today"then the scores came out at the end and only two 6mm beat me and not by much...i made a few mistakes that cost me.

heres the scores...i took 4th in master class....

Basic Member
    I'm just hoping to get my name on any sheet this year, dying to compete and soak up invaluable knowledge!
    Some people want to make a difference in the world. I'm just here to howl at the moon.

LongRange
    oh you will...just make sure your dopes are solid,be aggressive with your wind calls and dont worry about the timer..take your time...better to time out and have 3 outta five hits than to rush yourself and have 0 or 1 outta five. and when soaking up the knowledge pay attention to who its coming from.

Nice to see the .260 Ackley so well represented I love that cartridge. I was able to win our local match this weekend as well with mine. I dropped two points at 300 meters due to some funky wind as well but I was able to clean the rest.

LongRange
    nice shooting stomp....some day ill shoot some high scores lol. i think theres 4-5 guys shooting the 260AI in our matches.

LongRange
    second match of the year and the squirrel 330yds(thats pretty embarrassing)and the crow(425yds)kicked my A$$ lol...7th place in master...typical unpredictable winds...0 wind or light at the line and up to 4.5mins at the 850yd coyote...at one point i held 2.5mins left and went about a minute off the right of the 850 coyote.

but check out schnyd112s score...he was murdering the animals yesterday!! and high score of the match....awesome shooting B!!!

my only saving grace is i hit my 850 cold bore shot...then it just went south from there LOL!!

Basic Member
    The terrain in your pictures looks very familiar. How far are you from the glider club?

Winds out there can get pretty crazy at times.

Was impressed with Scotty Strachan's 5th place finish using Hornay 120gr Amax Factory Ammunition in his Creedmoor. That ammunition is truly good stuff!

Basic Member
    Nice club LR, found the range about 2 miles from the glider club. Been by there many times, but never stopped to shoot. Looks like a great long distance range.

LongRange
    Missed your post...yeah the glider club is near the range..and it is a great range...the public range goes out to 950 I think I've only shot the public side once when they called a 1000yds F-class due to wind.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Was impressed with Scotty Strachan's 5th place finish using Hornay 120gr Amax Factory Ammunition in his Creedmoor. That ammunition is truly good stuff!
    Scotty is one of the RSOs and a pretty good shot.

LongRange
    3rd match in the books and it was a wet one...19 or 20 shooters showed up and shot...it rained until we were cleaning up after the match...lotta high scores shot but there was no or very little wind which is not normal at our range...VERY happy with the McMillan A5 and how it preformed...we shot on a different range than we normally do as the bench rest guys canceled so we got to shoot under cover.

there is no 220 or 330yd lines(squirrels)to set the varmint targets at so you got to choose what target you wanted to shoot for your squirrel...i should of picked the chuck or the 850 coyote as that 550yd rabbit was kickin my A$$ lol...

i should also mention that in master and expert class you dont get sighters or alibis and in the master class your cold bore shot is at the 850yd coyote...

Last edited by LongRange; 05-08-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Basic Member
    I know it's old but did I see a cast shooter with the RPR? Talk about polar opposites.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
    I know it's old but did I see a cast shooter with the RPR? Talk about polar opposites.

not sure what a cast shooter is but yeah theres a few guys shooting RPRs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    not sure what a cast shooter is but yeah theres a few guys shooting RPRs.
    Shooting cast bullets. One ammo said wheel weights so I figured he cast his own.

LongRange
    well i havent been around muchs guys....im SLAMMED at work so been working 12-13hr days.

anyway we shot our 3rd LR varmint match of the year last saturday...wind was steady left to right(which is unusual)from 10 to 18mph and my kreiger barrel went south.
    i swear this build is jinxed LOL...long story short the first 1-3 rounds were accurate any shot past that it was the luck of the draw where it was going to impact...its on its way back to kreiger with only 895 rounds threw it...i shot a 10 out 40 the worst score ive ever shot.

i spun the bartlein on last saturday after the match and went out sunday and found 3 loads....tomorrow is our short range tactical match so im ready...next weekend i shoot in my first ever PRS match and not so ready LOL.

also need to stop talking to Phil because i guess im going 6mm creedmoor now...all i need is barrels everything else is on the way...barrels are ordered as well and will switch when the 6.5mm bartlein is done.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Anschutz View Post
    Shooting cast bullets. One ammo said wheel weights so I figured he cast his own.

gotcha...i wouldnt be surprised ive seen some funny things at our matches LOL.

schnyd112
    I am pretty sure the "wheel weights" is tongue in cheek. Not saying it can't happen, but I have definitely not seen anyone shooting cast bullets out there.

LongRange
    Well I had an extractor failure yesterday on my first string of the second stage and got so frustrated I dropped out. Also had a bad spotter costing me 2 points in my first stage and all together this cost me a second or third placing at this match.

i think the extactor failure started on the last part of my first stage because I had a case drop back in the action and cost me a shot. I thought it was feed issues at first as I have an AICS mag that no matter what I do to it it will not feed reliably or smooth.
    my accurate mag and 2 alpha 2s feed so smooth I'm always think did it not pick up a round.

after shooting a couple of these faster paced matches I've got a whole new respect for these guys that shoot these types of matches all the time...when things start going bad it just continues down hill...had I not lost my composure I could of replaced the extractor and finished the match but I'm not gonna lie I was frustrated...my last shot on my second stage I cycled the bolt and it dropped the case in the action and I jammed the next round it so hard it pushed the bullet on the loaded round into the case to where there was only about a 1/4" of the tip sticking out of the neck LOL!!

looking back on yesterday my first mistake was letting the clock get to me right off and the two bad calls...second was letting a small quick fix issue cause me to drop because I was to frustrated to look and see what was going on.

this was the worst day shooting I've ever had but I learned a lot from it...next Friday and Saturday well be my first PRS type match so I'm looking for redemption but I'm out of Remington extractors lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Well I had an extractor failure yesterday on my first string of the second stage and got so frustrated I dropped out. Also had a bad spotter costing me 2 points in my first stage and all together this cost me a second or third placing at this match.

i think the extactor failure started on the last part of my first stage because I had a case drop back in the action and cost me a shot. I thought it was feed issues at first as I have an AICS mag that no matter what I do to it it will not feed reliably or smooth.
    my accurate mag and 2 alpha 2s feed so smooth I'm always think did it not pick up a round.

after shooting a couple of these faster paced matches I've got a whole new respect for these guys that shoot these types of matches all the time...when things start going bad it just continues down hill...had I not lost my composure I could of replaced the extractor and finished the match but I'm not gonna lie I was frustrated...my last shot on my second stage I cycled the bolt and it dropped the case in the action and I jammed the next round it so hard it pushed the bullet on the loaded round into the case to where there was only about a 1/4" of the tip sticking out of the neck LOL!!

looking back on yesterday my first mistake was letting the clock get to me right off and the two bad calls...second was letting a small quick fix issue cause me to drop because I was to frustrated to look and see what was going on.

this was the worst day shooting I've ever had but I learned a lot from it...next Friday and Saturday well be my first PRS type match so I'm looking for redemption but I'm out of Remington extractors lol.
    Sounds like a bad day. I have a buddy I shot with at school whose airgun cylinder messed up and our coach told him to use another gun which ended up grouping like a shotgun. Cost him All American that year.

If you haven't gotten it yet, prepare for an ear full from Phil about extraction... lolol

It really sucks to have a day like that though man. Sorry to hear it. The clock, a failure like that, those are the moments that can make or break you in a match. You have to learn to live with a screw up, whether it be equipment malfunction, or shooter error. You have to let it go. That stage is gone. Those bullets are sent. Next stage is a brand new stage. I know it's easier said than done, but it's coming from someone who's struggled a lot with letting a bad stage go. I'm getting better at it though. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast