Thread: recoil pad for model 116

Basic Member

recoil pad for model 116

I need to replace the factory pad on my Savage 116. Part of it got gouged out.
    I looked up on internet sites and found that the Airtech 108073 (by limbsaver) was recommended model number.
    Had to grind a lot off of it.
    the holes lined up, but fit is bad. will be functional I suppose, but don't like the looks.

anyone have a better option?

Banned
    I got a slip on Limb saver and while I had to modify it a bit with Scissors and sew a seam back up its done real well since and goes over all my various rifles.

Grind to fit is really the way to go. The limbsaver or pacmyr mediums are just right for grinding to fit most anything. Screw the new pad onto the stock and trace an outline with a scribe then take it off and apply some talcum powder or baby powder to the bottom side and rub it with your finger. This will highlight your scribe mark and allow you to grind right up to the line. The toe of the pad is the trickest part and the easiest way to do that is with a jig. You can do it by hand but its hard to get the angle to match up sometimes. The trick is to make it look like it grows right out of the stock. Midway sells a nice jig made by Miles & Gilbert that works well. Once your initial grinding is done you then have to finish fitting the pad by hand, wrap some masking tape around your stock one layer thick then use a 200 grit paper and sanding block to match your wood height. I use some spray turtle wax while I am sanding and it gives a really nice finish to the rubber. I then finish with a 400 grit in the same manner. Here is one I fit to a Win Model 70. This is a Limbsaver medium as well.