Thread: Back to my Hog Hunter build - MDT LSS or LSS-XL?

Basic Member

Back to my Hog Hunter build - MDT LSS or LSS-XL?

I have a Hog Hunter project in .308 that got put to the side last year when a family crisis hit. Now I'm looking to get back to it and put it into shooting condition.

I am looking at the MDT chassis systems but can't decide between the LSS and LSS-XL. Part of my indecision is due to not knowing what stock I want to use.

I see this as being a fairly lightweight, fairly compact rifle for casual precision shooting out to about 600 (the furthest I have available near here.) Part of me is thinking a folding adapter with something like an ACS stock is the way to go which makes me lean LSS. But, making it non-folding with a UBR is tempting, too - a LSS-XL seems like the better choice here. In either case I'd be using the SS 10x Mil-Mil I bought for this project over a year ago and would be retaining the factory 20" barrel.

To complicate things I'm pretty sure I can add a folding adapter to the LSS-XL, this would give me a longer fore end and some more flexiblity.

Comments? Photos for inspiration?
    Just a guy.

Basic Member
    Go with the LSS-XL, so that you can put a fixed stock on it. This is more solid that collapsible, which will make a difference at 600 yards!

Basic Member
    That's kind of what I'm thinking if I decide to go through with this. Product suggestion for you - a folding stock adapter specific for the LSS-XL where it is fully keyed to the back of the chassis, kinda like a LAW Tactical hinge without all the AR recoil system support.
    Just a guy.

Basic Member
    It's in the works :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDTcorp View Post
    It's in the works :)
    Glad to hear it! I was considering abandoning this project, but if you're coming out with a hinge optimized for the LSS-XL I'll hang in there. This could be turned into a fun little "pocket" precision carbine.

Care to speculate on a timeframe?
    Just a guy.

Basic Member
    We should have this by October 2016 :)

Basic Member
    Great - looking forward to it! I assume it will be similar to your current folding accessory but with full interface to the rear of the LSS-XL?
    Just a guy.

Back to my Hog Hunter build - MDT LSS or LSS-XL?

I have been researching the LSS XL and HS3 chassis as well, the only catch for me is that it does not take AR-Grips with beaver tails.... All my favorite AR grips have beaver tails. I can't stand the A2/3 grips.. But I guess it's noting a hack saw can't fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverDave; 07-12-2016 at 04:33 AM.

Basic Member
    Ergo grips has come out with a flattop with a large ambi palm swell designed for chassis systems. Might be worth checking out. I just used a sharp knife on the same model with beaver tail and it works great on my lss-xl

Basic Member
    I went with a lightweight long range build last year. I used the LSS chasis with the Magpul CTR stock and cheek risers on it. The furthest I've taken the rifle to 1000 yards.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    ^ How much does your build weigh? ^

Basic Member
    Haven't weight it exactly. I'd say 11 pounds with scope and magazine.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Of the MDTs in that price range I would go with the HS3

Quote Originally Posted by MDTcorp View Post
    Go with the LSS-XL, so that you can put a fixed stock on it. This is more solid that collapsible, which will make a difference at 600 yards!
    Expert in the house!
    Would you recommend the LSS-XL over the HS3 for long range precision shooting? From the bench and prone.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    Would you recommend the LSS-XL over the HS3 for long range precision shooting? From the bench and prone.
    Personally I would actually go for the TAC21, as you can get more accuracy out of that with the straightline design. (buttstock direct behind bolt)
    But, that does not really answer your question. Between the LSS-XL and HS3, probably the HS3, because I like the flat bottom. But ergonomically they really are identical.