Thread: Savage MarkII FV First Impressions

claybird

Cool Savage MarkII FV First Impressions

hi all,
    just got my bargain of the year bull barrel 22lr from sportsmans outdoor superstore for $169 free ship and the $25 rebate and i am excited to see how it will group at 50yds. i like the stock accutrigger and was pleasantly surprised to see it had a match type crown. i cleaned it with 3 wet patches using shooters choice and it appeared to be clean. then i used a brownells 22lr bronze rifle bore brush and brought all kind of crude out of the bore but it cleaned up nicely after 3 patches.
    the bore seemed nice and tight but upon visual inspection i could tell it wasn't a match grade barrel (one can always hope for the money,huh?). then i used rembore cleaner to polish the burrs on the throat and crown and it seemed to clean up nicely after one polishing but i did it two more times spending extra time on the tight throat and crown. now i'm waiting for my bushnell 3.5x10 scope and leupold med height rings to see what this baby will do. i'm going to finish breaking in the barrel with 10 rounds of cci mini mag the copper will never touch this throat again. then i various flavors of remington target (junk),cci, fedral and eley to play with. i've been looking for cci standard which most people seem to like with this gun but haven't found yet.
    HTH

I got the same rifle.

Keep us updated.

I'll tell you right now that the best ammo I shot out of mine is Eley Match and RWS-50. Expensive but so worth it.

Here is a good representation of the accuracy with either of those brands of ammo with my rifle at 109 yards. Four 5-shot groups...

And here is a pic of one of those lucky yet unlucky 5 shot groups at the same distance of 109 yards....

Basic Member
    $169...nice... and nice shooting, mine likes the ely match also. I have some Lapua "Center-X" that I haven't tried yet.

I love mine, got it from Cabelas on sale for $239 plus a rebate which I gotta mail in still. Shoots pretty good with Federal AutoMatch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk