Thread: Recomendations on accessories for my new Cabela's 12FV I got for $309?

Ridge Runner

Recomendations on accessories for my new Cabela's 12FV I got for $309?

Cabela's "exclusive"

Savage 12FV
    26" barrel
    Heavy barrel
    Recessed crown
    Metal trigger guard
    Accutrigger
    Synthetic stock
    Oversized bolt handle
    Jeweled bolt
    Caliber .223

On sale for $349. I used Cabela's points to get it for $309.

I guess it also qualifies for a $100 rebate????? So $209 New when all is said and done??????

I plan on using it for bench shooting out to 300 yards.

Recommendations
    For scope base?
    Rings?
    Bipod?
    Scope?

Thanks for any help.

Banned
    I would go for a stock first. I have one in 308 and I knew the stock was a limitation factor, but it was a min project gun in that stock would get upgraded (price low, you don't get it all and if I can't have it all the stock is easy to change)

I like the Laminated ones so I went that route with the Pillar screw setup, synthetic are a step better with a metal bedding base (correct me if I am wrong in that terminology)
    I will take the less effective (possibly) Laminated over the synthetic as I like the looks (the 111 project gun looks great with a stainless barrel and the blued action and the very nice Laminated stock that came with it)

Scope, I have found I like the Target dots, Leupold is on sale from Natchez for a 6.5 to 20 with that, $950. The 20 should be good to at least 300 yds, maybe e 600 (other weight in, I am working to getting to 300 yd range and then occasionally a 1000 so I have one scope that goes to 32 power with a dot in it)

Rings and base: I like Warne, all steel, reasonable cost, for a 223 I would be fine with the two base systems. Large calibers the rail type probably adds some rigidity to the action, it would be nice if Savage closed up the openings a lot more on the varmint guns.

Bipod: I shoot off the bags so no opinion on that.

Basic Member
    Yes, the rebate applies to the model 12FV. Recommend you log onto Savages's website and pre-qualify for the rebate, which will involve a call to the rebate company. Your rebate must be in mail by end of July, as I recall.

I got the EGW 20 moa base for my 12FV 223, and Revolution laminated thumbhole stock with steel pillars included from E Arthur Brown. With the 6-24X50 Vortex Viper HS I got on sale at Cabelas for $375 I can just make out the 22 cal holes in the target at 300 yds. provided there's not too much mirage. I log my shots in my notebook as I shoot them, and us a Harris bi-pod, non swiveling type for bench rest shooting.

As for bullets, provided you are reloading, the Hornaday 53 gr. V-Max and the 53 grain Sierra HP (p/n 1400) both shoot very well out of the set up at about 3250 fps.

Basic Member
    One accessory that made a huge difference in my shooting ability is a rear squeeze bag. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621...k-coyote-brown
    When used with a front rest I set the crosshairs a little above the target and get settled into position then with my free hand give the bag a little pressure to place the crosshairs on target as I fire. I started using it early this year, now I'm not sure how I could do without it.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    One accessory that made a huge difference in my shooting ability is a rear squeeze bag. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/621...k-coyote-brown
    When used with a front rest I set the crosshairs a little above the target and get settled into position then with my free hand give the bag a little pressure to place the crosshairs on target as I fire. I started using it early this year, now I'm not sure how I could do without it.
    Agreed on the rear bag, big help. I use a front bag as well, getting a nice stable setup is the goal. How that works form bipod to bags or bags and rest to suit the shooter preferences. I had the front bag and was used to it so just added the rear.

triehl27
    I added a second sling stud, then filled the forend with Rockite. Great stiffener although at least my stock was pretty good with excellent barrel clearance to start with. No flex in the forend now.

Bipod, and Sand Sock, and I am good to go