Thread: Which action for 338 LM build?

Basic Member

Which action for 338 LM build?

I am starting to figure out which components I want for a Lapua 338 build. My plan is to use a chassis like the XLR Evolution chassis. So.... which Savage action should I be looking for this build? Which donor rifles have the appropriate action?

Thanks.

Doug

The only Savage actions recommended for the 338 Lapua are those that came from the factory in 338 Lapua. The Lapua actions are heat treated differently to alleviate lug setback.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    There isn't a Savage or Remington action I would use for a 338 Lapua Magnum. I would start looking at the aftermarket actions that are designed for those kind of pressures. Savage and Remington were never designed for those pressures or intended for those cartridges. Standard magnums are the maximum I would run on a Savage or Remington action. 7mm rem mag, 300 win mag, those kind of cartridges.

For anything bigger, it's time to move to a custom action. Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, and many more make actions that are designed for these cartridges. I can more easily afford the extra ~$700 for an action that is designed from the ground up to handle the chamber pressures of the 338LM instead of facial reconstruction surgery because I chose to go with an action design that was never intended for those cartridges. I like to err on the side of caution by a wide margin.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I assumed I would get a Lapua 338 rifle as a donor. Is the action in the 110 BA 338LM the same action as in the 111 Long Range Hunter 338LM?