Thread: A bit of B. Mag optimism? and a Cabellas cautionary tale

Ronso

A bit of B. Mag optimism? and a Cabellas cautionary tale

Optimism
    The rotary mags are still a bear to load but they seem to be getting slightly easier. Still have to use a finger to rotate the follower and insert the next cartridge such that the case rim will push the ridge on the follower as you rotate said cartridge into line. As I've done this and cycled the bolt to unload several times, loading the mags are still a pain (but less so) and there seem to be better ejections but still failure to feed issues. Does this get better with use?
    Also, I have the heavy fluted barrel which further reading seems to indicate should be more consistently accurate. I may try shooting with the factory stock and consider adding a wood one if necessary as others have pointed out that might help with accuracy issues. Any helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Cautionary tale
    Bought this gun at Cabellas and was thinking about returning/exchanging this un-shot rifle possibly for a Ruger, which I've subsequently read is also not without issues, for a lot more money.
    I was told that in either case, Cabellas would consider this a used gun and would have to sell it that way. The result is I would only get back 65% of the purchase value in a refund or a trade for an un-shot firearm with all documents still in their sealed bag! Just thought I'd pass that along.
    Last edited by Ronso; 06-19-2016 at 12:21 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Quote Originally Posted by Ronso View Post
    Optimism
    The rotary mags are still a bear to load but they seem to be getting slightly easier. Still have to use a finger to rotate the follower and insert the next cartridge such that the case rim will push the ridge on the follower as you rotate said cartridge into line. As I've done this and cycled the bolt to unload several times, loading the mags are still a pain (but less so) and there seem to be better ejections but still failure to feed issues. Does this get better with use?
    Also, I have the heavy fluted barrel which further reading seems to indicate should be more consistently accurate. I may try shooting with the factory stock and consider adding a wood one if necessary as others have pointed out that might help with accuracy issues. Any helpful comments greatly appreciated.

Cautionary tale
    Bought this gun at Cabellas and was thinking about returning/exchanging this un-shot rifle possibly for a Ruger, which I've subsequently read is also not without issues, for a lot more money.
    I was told that in either case, Cabellas would consider this a used gun and would have to sell it that way. The result is I would only get back 65% of the purchase value in a refund or a trade for an un-shot firearm with all documents still in their sealed bag! Just thought I'd pass that along.
    thats generally the consensus with most places (especially big box stores). No refunds on guns.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Prarie dog shooter
    I just recently won a b mag at a white tail unlimited banquet , at first had some accuracy issues, but the more I shot it the better it got . Now I really enjoy shooting it and am really looking forward to trying it on coyotes! And the mag does seem to get easier to load, as it gets worn.

Ronso
    Thanks Dog, Hope mine works out as well as yours. Do you clean after every shoot or every couple of times?

Prarie dog shooter
    Through breaking the gun, I cleaned it after every 10 rds. Now that it's driving tacks, I'll clean after 50 or so

Ronso
    Thanks again. You were right that the mags get easier to load with use. With 200 rounds through it I have found that the rifle seems to prefer 25 Winchester over 20 grain American Eagle or the Winchester 20 grain. Haven't seen Hornaday yet but will test when I do. What I'm seeing as far as accuracy is that sometimes the bullet hits where the crosshairs are, or <1/2" away at 100 yds.(ok by me). I do still get occasional flyers. Maybe that will get rectified with more rounds / new stock. We'll see.
    Speaking of stocks, I came upon ETSY gunstocks. They don't list one for the B Mag but when I'm ready to change the stock, I'll definitely call this guy and see if one can be made. Seems to do terrific work on other rifles and very competitive cost-wise with Boyd's.

Basic Member
    Have you watched this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQTt-Jcx7uw

I realize it pertains to the A-17, with a Boyd's stock, but this easy bedding job really makes a difference.