Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is a mil?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Nice Rob, I'm guessing not far from where ill be for 6 months within the next couple weeks.
    Id be glad to meet there and pick the targets id like you to range for me.
    By the way, one nice buck in the rut chasing does around over there would have every one of those guys rethinking their shooting system. but hey.
    Can you explain the bold?

Not my range. Can't go shoot there anytime I want. Just an example that it's not on flat square range that it was being done.

Basic Member
    I guess I'm not getting what you mean by bold?
    As for the range no problem, I can furnish that same type of environment.

52 post and the OP hasn't been here since #7. Think maybe you guys hijacked and carried on enough?
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I guess I'm not getting what you mean by bold?
    The bold text in the post I quoted from your post:

"By the way, one nice buck in the rut chasing does around over there would have every one of those guys rethinking their shooting system. but hey."

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    52 post and the OP hasn't been here since #7. Think maybe you guys hijacked and carried on enough?

Probably just waiting for his stock, like he said he was; in post #7.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Probably just waiting for his stock, like he said he was; in post #7.
    I agree Darkker, is that a surprise? lol besides, he did get some good answers to his question.
    Anyway cant some of us who don't build Savages or shoot matches have a little fun once in awhile also?
    It hasent gotten vicious has it? Just boys being boys on a subject not all are interested in, and if that's a problem don't read it.
    Go tip and weigh a few match bullets or something else really important.

Basic Member
    Rob, can you furnish the name of the club holding those matches and its location?
    Its an excellent location, and id like to go there while their holding a match and observe.
    Frankly I suspect its not a club that holds matches, but rather a shooting school. But ill await your answer on that.

Basic Member
    I already did in the post above. It's the ASC match in Seneca Rocks, WV. It's a match held on a piece of farm land and not a club or a school. Here is the link again http://www.ascmatch.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob01 View Post
    I already did in the post above. It's the ASC match in Seneca Rocks, WV. It's a match held on a piece of farm land and not a club or a school. Here is the link again http://www.ascmatch.com/
    I've got a few friends that shoot Allegheny. I'd love to be able to shoot it sometime.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    I've got a few friends that shoot Allegheny. I'd love to be able to shoot it sometime.
    We should build a list of matches we would like to attend at some point and make a plan/timeline to do it.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks for the information, your prior comments and some of the pics caused me to have my opinion about the school.
    The power line location for one thing, as those facilities are carefully monitored for potential problems.
    Permanent target setups would certainly be visable to the flyovers that take place.
    In any event it is a great location to shoot from, and would for sure be a very good place to hunt long range.
    Mainly due to its diversity of being able to look in several different directions from the same spot.
    Note in the one photo the sun having an affect, which can and does shut things down.
    But there you could just start looking in a different direction not yet affected,
    and swing back to the earlier spot later in the day. In other words its an all day spot and very few are.
    The type of terrain seen is typical to what can be seen thruout that mountain chain.
    PA, western MD, W/VA, VA, the Carolinas and even GA offer those type of shooting oppurtunities.
    Where PA has its advantage over others, is that much of that type land is public as opposed to private.
    Meaning that hunters from other states like MI and FL for example can drive there, spend
    about $125 bucks for an over the counter non res license good for the whole year, and go hunt.
    As for the actual shooting, in match shooting of any type, its about the shooter and how good he is
    compared to the other shooters on that particular day. There are always winners and losers as in any other sport.
    Whereas with hunting, and especially long range hunting, there can be several losers with just one shooter.
    So in reality it isn't, or at least shouldn't, be about our own individual chest pounding ability as to how good we are.
    Because the real reality is that non of us really are, especially in that type environment.
    A prime example would be the power line location where the pic shows a righty shooter laying prone probably using a bipod.
    He appears to have a pretty good body position even considering the serious slope, which is very important even with a bipod.
    But now try to envision a lefty trying to get into a decent position at that same spot. And to complicate it further, as he does,
    the target which is a deer, decides to walk off a few hundred feet to his right before stopping again? Suppose its to the right and
    also down hill at the same time? Whats that do to the shooters present prone position? And the same thing holds true for the righty
    at that location and frankly every location. If the first shot is a poor hit and the animal takes off running, a belly shooter simply cannot
    stay on that animal in that type terrain. First off the limited field of the scope alone would assure that. And a spotter, if he even has one, laying in the tall cotton beside him, and looking thru the same type scope would also have lost the animal. Its a recipe for total disaster, and those who don't think so, think that way because theve never done it to have experienced it. Especially in that type of terrain, and that's just one example of the possibilities.

Anybody thinking their a good enough fly fisherman to land a 100# tarpon in the Florida Keys alone, will go home with a different opinion.
    The guy running the boat will be responsible for him landing the tarpon, or not landing the tarpon. Its a totally different ball game as stream fishing
    for big trout, although a fly rod is used in both cases. With the right equiptment and good people supporting, its not really all that hard.
    Same as long range hunting in the eastern wooded mountains.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    We should build a list of matches we would like to attend at some point and make a plan/timeline to do it.

That's an excellent idea, and if for no other reason would offer the uninitiated an opportunity to observe and form opinions
    from an actual visual experience. I can bring my spotting equiptment and a few range finders of various types for people to see and try.
    Also a few shooting platforms that people could sit a gun on and envision how it might affect their ability to kill something as opposed
    to maybe missing or even worse cripeling an animal. That location would be very hard to improve on as an ideal spot.

Well after reviewing the website a few things sort of flipped the off switch for me at least.
    First bi annual matches, and the fact that this years match is already over.
    Second, these guys are actually attempting to mimic the role of snipers, in the way they go about things.
    Which explains why the importance of ranging with a reticle is stressed.
    If I were to show up there with my setup id no doubt face serious ridicule because its just the nature of the
    beast to do that in that type environment.
    It would be akin to showing up a Warlock biker gang party driving an off brand 3 wheeler and wearing a helmet.
    So for now ill stick with the front yard and the other numerous spots I have offering the same possibilities.
    The invitation still applies.
    Last edited by yobuck; 06-25-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Basic Member
    A prime example would be the power line location where the pic shows a righty shooter laying prone probably using a bipod.
    He appears to have a pretty good body position even considering the serious slope, which is very important even with a bipod.
    But now try to envision a lefty trying to get into a decent position at that same spot. And to complicate it further, as he does,
    the target which is a deer, decides to walk off a few hundred feet to his right before stopping again? Suppose its to the right and
    also down hill at the same time? Whats that do to the shooters present prone position? And the same thing holds true for the righty
    at that location and frankly every location. If the first shot is a poor hit and the animal takes off running, a belly shooter simply cannot
    stay on that animal in that type terrain. First off the limited field of the scope alone would assure that. And a spotter, if he even has one, laying in the tall cotton beside him, and looking thru the same type scope would also have lost the animal. Its a recipe for total disaster, and those who don't think so, think that way because theve never done it to have experienced it. Especially in that type of terrain, and that's just one example of the possibilities.

If a lefty takes that shot then all he has to do is swap over to a weak hand shot. Something that is easy to do for a person who practices with their rifle to become a better shooter. I go to the range and only shoot left hand on days. Not just prone but off barricades and tripods. I know what you are saying about long range hunting having an animal that can be injured by a bad shot but you still have to use the same marksmanship skills and whether that bullet is going into steel, paper or flesh. You need to be able to build your shot with position, range, wind, angle etc and get a good shot. Of course not taking a shot at something you don't feel ethically able to take.

You seem to imply that match shooters can't shoot an animal at long range. A lot of those guys do hunt long range and do quite well. My rifle smith has hunted all over the world and has a hell of a trophy room. Shooting matches is part of their practice. Being able to shoot in the stress of matches with different locations, weather conditions, stages of fire etc helps build a good shooter. You are not always in 70 degree sunny and no wind days. You are getting rained on, snowed on, high winds, some over 100 degree heat in the field all day shooting and having to do well. You should go out and try to shoot a match and see what is involved in the large amount of skill it takes to do well. It might give you a different view of the match shooter and his over all skills and might help build your skills. Example, can you lay down in Texas wind and hit a 6" moving target 9 times out of 10 at 500 yards? I can. The miss was miss just off the back side by about 2". Still a kill on an animal. That wasn't mentioned as bragging but showing that being able to do something like that gives you a little bit of confidence in your abilities to put that bullet where you need it to be whether it be in a match or a hunt.

Basic Member
    If a lefty takes that shot then all he has to do is swap over to a weak hand shot. Something that is easy to do for a person who practices with their rifle to become a better shooter. I go to the range and only shoot left hand on days. Not just prone but off barricades and tripods. I know what you are saying about long range hunting having an animal that can be injured by a bad shot but you still have to use the same marksmanship skills and whether that bullet is going into steel, paper or flesh. You need to be able to build your shot with position, range, wind, angle etc and get a good shot. Of course not taking a shot at something you don't feel ethically able to take.

You seem to imply that match shooters can't shoot an animal at long range. A lot of those guys do hunt long range and do quite well. My rifle smith has hunted all over the world and has a hell of a trophy room. Shooting matches is part of their practice. Being able to shoot in the stress of matches with different locations, weather conditions, stages of fire etc helps build a good shooter. You are not always in 70 degree sunny and no wind days. You are getting rained on, snowed on, high winds, some over 100 degree heat in the field all day shooting and having to do well. You should go out and try to shoot a match and see what is involved in the large amount of skill it takes to do well. It might give you a different view of the match shooter and his over all skills and might help build your skills. Example, can you lay down in Texas wind and hit a 6" moving target 9 times out of 10 at 500 yards? I can. The miss was miss just off the back side by about 2". Still a kill on an animal. That wasn't mentioned as bragging but showing that being able to do something like that gives you a little bit of confidence in your abilities to put that bullet where you need it to be whether it be in a match or a hunt.
    Listen, I applaud your ability as a shooter ok. And I'm not quite as stupid as to say match shooters cant do the things I'm talking about either.
    Certainly a good shooter would have an advantage over a lesser quality shooter in any type shooting. But again, your missing the point of my argument in order to bring the shooter more into play as the major issue involved. Why else would you choose to suggest that everybody should become as good as say you are at becoming an ambidextrious shooter?
    What would be wrong with someone else using a well designed portable bench, or a good tripod system in order to make a good shot?
    There would be nothing wrong with it other than opinion of those who feel it would detract from their individual ability and (ahem), ego.
    What I'm saying is, that it isn't about ego, its about killing an animal. The most proficient way of doing that is the proper way to do it.
    And that includes both cartridge choice and the shooting method.

As for me not having any match experience, you don't know that do you? Fact is I do have some, and some of my hunting friends have much
    much more. Which even they would admit, actually means very little in the overall hunting picture.
    Fact is some of the best match shooters ive known, including a few world record holders, were total flops when it came to finding something to shoot at. Which is still the number one priority, followed by all else.
    One of my oldest and best friends and every day long range companion for many years, is the first person ever inducted into the hall of fame at Williamsport.
    And it wasent for being a good guy with the best stories. Many of those names on that list are or have been good friends. Just about all of them hunt
    or did hunt in the same general area as I and many others do. And as stated, not all are/were very successful at it.
    As for ones ability to put a bullet where they need it, when they need to at long distances, to me speaks volumes as to who and what I'm dealing with. Guess what my friend, there are lots of branches on all those trees over there. And the cartridge you chose to use was trying to find a little hole to go thru and missed it. And tall cotton laying there next to you is just as dumbfounded as you are over it.
    What do you think wind conditions could do at a place like shown in Robs pictures? And you know what, there would be far worse places for that than what you see there.
    Where did that one go tall cotton? I dunno, I musta breathed on my scope. lol
    When you choose to insult others knowledge of this stuff, then I think you also become fair game.

Basic Member
    Yobuck the more you type the more it shows your ignorance to the shooting ability of a tactical long range match shooter. All the things you list are seen at matches and done by the shooters. I am not talking about belly highpower or benchrest shooters. We use many different positions at small targets. Go watch a match or look on youtube. Believe what you want but I can read wind very well in mountainous terrain and know to watch how it flows and is blocked by terrain. Also know how to shoot through holes in trees. Have done it many times. You want to lug a shooting bench into the woods that's on you. A tripod is a very good shooting aid and I use one at matches.

I never insulted your knowledge as I am sure you can hunt just fine but you seem to think just because someone shoots tactical/sniper matches they can't. In that you are wrong. Those people take marksmanship very seriously. Obviously we will never see eye to eye so you believe what you want and I will do the same.

Basic Member
    I have the utmost respect for shooters of every discipline Rob, and have a very clear picture of what it takes be a winner in that effort.
    Especially a consistant year in year out winner. I also know that the best, don't always end up winners, but the winners always are.
    The opening your aiming at Rob, wont necessarily be the same opening your bullet might be trying to decend thru. check it out.
    Those of us that prepare for this, don't lug benches to remote areas. They've already been stashed there for years in most cases.
    As with many things, proper preparation is important, and can in some cases cause losers to be winners.

Basic Member
    The opening your aiming at Rob, wont necessarily be the same opening your bullet might be trying to decend thru. check it out.
    Yes I have a very good understanding of exterior ballistics and trajectory so no need to check it out. Thanks though.

LongRange

Is that horse dead? OMG, those emoji's are whipping it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LongRange
    Yep...kinda like the FFP/SFP/you can't make that shot/hunting...I can do this all day.

You probably can't make that shot sitting on a bench doing serious hunting. You fancy pants, "snipers" that actually know the difference between focal plane, think you are so smart

Basic Member
    Well we all know darkker would make that shot cold bore with his 308 and his eyes closed.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Well we all know darkker would make that shot cold bore with his 308 and his eyes closed.....

Well don't forget, his buddy Tall Cotton is helping some by eyeballing things thru a matching scope. lol

Never underestimate Dean and his 17-338 Lapua mag
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Well don't forget, his buddy Tall Cotton is helping some by eyeballing things thru a matching scope. lol
    Never underestimate Tall Cotton!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.