Thread: Burris XTR Signature Rings

Basic Member

Burris XTR Signature Rings

Have any of you tried these rings? I just "discovered" them today with a visit to the Burris web site looking for something else. Since I quit going to ShotShow a few years ago, I seem to keep missing out on some of the new stuff that comes out.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting...ignature-rings

I have been a fan of the Burris Signature Zee rings for many years, but as many of you who use them know, they have their drawbacks.

• Movement of the SCOPE in the rings with hard kicking rifles (Though this can be solved with some powdered rosin)
    • Movement of the RINGS under recoil with aluminum bases on hard kicking rifles, damaging the rail slots
    • The machined in tabs break off if you swap them too many times from slightly oversized to undersized rails, or vice versa,
    • Not very durable overall compared to some others like the Burris Xtremes

The XTR Signature seems to solve all of the problems providing:
    • Significantly more gripping surface contact on the scope tube should eliminate scope movement
    • Robust, solid, stress free locking mechanism for clamping to the scope rail
    • No more breaking off the bending tab
    • No more movement of the scope ring on the rail with hard kickers with the larger tab that fits the rail slot and double hex head clamping screws

I am definitely getting some to try out myself but I would be interested in hearing what you guys have to say about them from those who have actually used them.

Thanks in advance.

Basic Member
    I have not used those particular ones but I have used the regular Burris Sig Zee rings with posi align inserts and I really like them. Its a great way to get a little extra cant in addition to a 20 MOA base also by using the offset inserts. I like the beefier look of the XTR ones you have provided a link to.. There good to go iMO...

Basic Member
    I've been putting the XTR(eem) rings on all of my large bore builds for awhile now. I used to do a lot of high speed video recording of scope movement and they were rock solid which is more than I can say about some of the scopes. Primary Arms has rings that mimic the Xtreme rings but are badged with their name for a bit less money.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    I've been putting the XTR(eem) rings on all of my large bore builds for awhile now. I used to do a lot of high speed video recording of scope movement and they were rock solid which is more than I can say about some of the scopes. Primary Arms has rings that mimic the Xtreme rings but are badged with their name for a bit less money.
    Are you talking about the Xtreme rings or the newer XTR Signatures? Very different animals.

I have used Xtreme Burris rings for many years. They are OK but not my go to rings. I have had some alignment problems with them that were directly caused by the rings, unable to get the scope zeroed, problem went away with different rings. Usually windage related.

I am anxious to check out a set of the XTR Signatures. From the photos it looks like the locking plates are made from aluminum. I wish they were steel, but for the price and with the Burris warranty, I can live with aluminum.

Basic Member
    Wow, I learned something new! Never heard of the Signature rings 'till I just looked them up. And I thought the Xtreme's were pricey!

Basic Member
    I finally received my XTR rings. I am very impressed. There is no question in my mind, these will be my go-to rings for almost every scope installation from this point forward. I have been hungering after something like this for decades.

There is nothing I dislike about them just to get that out of the way.

• Aluminum ring body vastly superior machining and finish to the Burris Xtreme rings. They look to me to be milled not extruded.
    • 6 screw tops
    • Thick recoil lug integral to the ring body
    • Steel cross bolts that are about double the thickness of the original Signature Zee's
    • Steel locking plates - free floating, self centering
    • Very nice matte black finish on the ring body, locking plates and screws are a bit more rough and more glossy, but still looking good.
    • They come in a Plano waterproof clear poly-carbonate case that is worth about $10 which is way more cool than a cardboard box that I will definitely put to good use once the rings are mounted. (no cord like in the photo)

The inserts are not like the old Signatures. They are flat on the outside with fairly short radiused edges, whereas the original Signatures were curved across their entire outside dimensions. See the cad generated image. At first I thought that they would limit the ability to pivot inside the ring body by too much, but some clever milling inside the ring allows for several degrees of movement, nothing like the original model which can pivot 360 degrees in any direction, but it is more than enough for any imaginable base to bore alignment issues.

The rings came with one set of +/- 5 and 10, two of the 20's, and one zero set. You can combine them to get 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 40 MOA of adjustment in any direction. No +/- 35, but that could be fixed by Burris if they decided to make some 15s. Most will of course use the majority of the offset to get downward cant, but you can rotate one or both insert sets to also get left or right adjustment, just like the originals.

The design of the locking plates is excellent. The plates are made of steel with very beefy Torx screws and are free floating so that they can self align, virtually stress free on the rail. Combine that with the inserts and you have what I think is the most stress free two piece scope mounting system you can buy. I am hoping that Burris will soon offer a QD one piece mount using these same inserts - with STEEL locking plates, not aluminum like the current ones. They clamped well on every Picatinny rail i tried, and one of the few Weaver bases I own. The anti recoil lug will not fit ANY Weaver bases without making it significantly wider, and possibly deeper than the stock dimensions.

It is hard to tell by the photo, but what looks like a milled out depression in the center of the ring opening, actually pokes out. This is how you are able to get the movement with the flat outer walls yet still have enough clamping pressure to hold the scope tube well. I will be testing them soon on a 50 BMG to see how well they hold the scope from sliding forward in the rings. The huge amount of insert contact compared to the original Signatures makes me think their wont' be any issues. If they do slip, a bit of rosin will surely cure it.

I am really happy that Burris finally improved on the originals. Now I can mount any scope on any rifle and not worry about ring damage on the scope tube, alignment problems to get the zero I want, rings moving on the rail (old style), broken tabs on the ring body (old style) or the scope slipping in the rings under recoil (old style). They should provide plenty of slope for long range shooting with or without a sloped base. To get Zero slope, use the two sets of +/-20 inserts with the + or the - side down on both sets. With a 40 MOA sloped based you can dial in anything from ZERO to 80 MOA or more in downward cant!

For about the last 5 years or so I have actually thought about having something like this custom made but the expense was too great. Thanks Burris for finally fixing all the problems with the original Signatures and going beyond that with some other really nice innovations.

Last edited by geezerhood; 05-07-2016 at 11:09 AM.

Basic Member
    They look like they would be the ticket for the heavy recoiling guns.
    Thanks for posting that.

Basic Member
    Can you give us some info on what height rings you order and how big the objective is on your optic.... Also what contour barrel are you running?

Basic Member
    On my Savages with heavy varmint contours the 1" high rings clear my Sightron 56mm objective scopes easily. That is the shortest set they offer in the XTR rings though slightly shorter would work on some of my guns. Even if they did offer a lower than 1" set, I probably wouldn't use them as I don't strive for the lowest possible mounting. I prefer a heads up style of shooting plus most of my stocks have adjustable cheek pieces. I also like to be able to take a scope from one bolt action rifle and switch it to any other in the safe without having to change the rings.

Additionally, I put a riser on my AR type flat top guns so I can take a mounted scope from a bolt action and swap it over to the AR without having to replace the rings or having to remove my backup rear iron sight.
    Last edited by geezerhood; 05-11-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Basic Member
    I am happy that this thread was started before I started a similar one.

I need +/-20 inserts for windage for a 30mm scope. I ordered and received the 30mm Zee Signature rings to go on existing Weaver two piece bases. Sincair says the XTR Signature rings are only for Picatinny rails. Burris says they will fit most Weaver style bases. I have used the Signature Zee and Signature Zee rimfire rings on several rifles with success with 1" tubes.

Is there a "special" Weaver style base that anyone actually knows of that will accept the XTR Signature rings. Are there two piece Picatinny bases that will fit onto a Savage 12 F/TR with Target receiver?

Please advise.

Basic Member
    Every "Weaver" brand base that I have looked at has slots that are too narrow for the recoil block on the bottom of the XTR and several other rings. You can open it up with a file and it would fit.

As for two piece bases, Nightforce, Burris, Leupold and IOR, among others make two piece bases that fit the Savages AND will work with the XTR rings. Personally I would avoid standard "Weaver" bases period, unless you have some compelling reason to do so. Keep all your bases the same then you can switch stuff around as needed - Picatinny is pretty much the standard that the main makers stick to when it comes to multi platform mounting solutions.

Burris (Best price

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/665...FRIoaQoduy0Hmg

Leupold

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/265...ear-axis-matte

IOR Valdada

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/454386/valdada-ior-2-piece-heavy-duty-tactical-picatinny-style-scope-base-savage-10-through-16-110-through-116-round-rear-axis-extended-front-matte?cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Optics+-+Scope+Rings%2C+Bases%2C+Mounting+%26+Accessories-_-Valdada+IOR-_-454386&gclid=COOQhKeO5MwCFZE0aQod6Z8MzQ

Basic Member
    Geezerhood-

I sincerely want to thank you for the rapid and detailed response as well as the links. You are several thumbs up in my book.

Basic Member
    You are welcome.

Basic Member
    I just bought a set of these rings... They are very nice IMO...

Basic Member
    I went whole hog, as the expression goes.

I got the rings as well as the two piece Burris Picatinny bases. The base to ring fit and the receiver to base fit are both perfect and solid. I am happy with the purchase and I needed the +20's for both windage and elevation. Mine came with one set each of 0,5,10 and two 20's. They really are as solid as a rock. My only criticism, if one can call it a criticism is the six screws for each ring. Four would probably suffice.

Burris signature zee rings have been around for a while and quite a lot of target f-class shooters love them. Now these XTR signature rings work the same way but are designed for tactical fat ass scopes.

I'm going to have to get me a pair.

Had no idea these new XTR signature rings existed !

Basic Member
    Please note the following re: Burris

30mm rings in Signature series do NOT have +/-20 rings although available in 1" rings.

Great marketing by Burris to force one who likes the system with 30mm rings to charge $90-100 for the rings and inserts (two sets of +/-20) included if one needs 20's. They are rock solid rings, will not bend or dent the tube and don't loosen.