Thread: Loose bolt handle

chutesnreloads

Loose bolt handle

I have an older model 110 that the bolt handle keeps working loose on.What I've been doing is, with the bolt in the reciever, tightening the piece at the rear of the bolt.This piece has a slot along the full face so I don't have a screwdriver wide enough to fill the slot.It works loose after cycling the bolt 20-30 times usually out in the field while i'm hunting which means it rattles.Annoying.Why is it coming loose?Am I not getting enough torque like this?Do I need locktite on it?The only modification this rifle has had is a bedding job.

hailstone

Re: Loose bolt handle

If you tighten it with proper tools it will not come loose. Personally I wouldn't even consider using locktite in this application. If you must do something take the fastner out and flatten the threads a little in one spot. This will act like a thread locker but without dire consenquences. If you flatten too much then use die to clean threads up a little. Doesn't take much so go easy with the hammer.

Basic Member

It does sound you aren't getting enough torque on it. I have never had a problem with the BAS loosening but mine is a newer 1/4" hex.

You could Loctite it but be very careful not to overdo the amount. The Loctite could seep down into the moving parts and gum things up. Use Loctite blue, DO NOT USE RED. What I have doen in the past when I am worried about it seeping into areas it shouldn't be is allow the Loctite to dry on the threads of the bolt then screw the bolt in and tighten as usual. It seems to give it enough bit to work without the worry of it seeping.

Dolomite

BillPa

Yeah, tough finding a screwdriver to fit the slot on an older BAS.....however, if you or a buddy has a combination square the steel rule works perfectly. The flat sides act like a hollow ground screwdriver, it won't slip out and its long enough to get a grip to snug the screw. I clamp the bolt in a vise with padded jaws then have at it. You don't need t tighten it till it twists off plus two turns, just put a little "oomph" on it. If you want to Loctite use the 242 (blue) and only on a few threads so you can get it apart if need be later.

Sump'm else. Its been awhile since I have one apart, but I seem to recall the older screws had a nylon plug in the threads to help keep them tight. Maybe someone will jump in an jog my memory. If so, check yours and see if its missing.

Bill

chutesnreloads

Bill,Could you describe this nylon plug?What am I looking for?

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads
    Bill,Could you describe this nylon plug?What am I looking for?
    Like I said its been awhile,but I seem to recall a hole drilled in the threads of the BAS with a nylon plug in it. It may have been on the old Westpoint 410 (110 Savage), the '88 era 110 or maybe I'm just going nuts. I don't have either rifle here at the moment to check.

Bill

these are really bad pics, but you can see a light circle on each screw. that is a plastic plug that when new caused increased friction to resist turning out.

[img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/striker011.jpg[/img]
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

BillPa

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    these are really bad pics, but you can see a light circle on each screw. that is a plastic plug that when new caused increased friction to resist turning out.

Thanks Blue. That eliminates the "I'm going nuts" part"! ;D

chutesnreloads

Thanks for the replies ...especially the pics...now i know what i'm looking for.This rifle's a great shooter but a rattling bolt handle is kind of annoying.