Thread: Savage Model 10 options

Savage Model 10 options

I was looking at bolt actions a few years ago and never made the purchase and here I am again searching.

I have read some reviews on a couple of different Model 10 variants and need some help deciding on a few, all .308:

Model 10T (9.5 lbs 24" barrel) - Cabela's exclusive
    Model 10 P (20" barrel, could not find weight but assume it will be close to others) - found online for a little cheaper than the 10T, not a whole lot of info on this one
    Model 10 FCP-SR (8.75 to 9 lbs, 20 and 24" barrel respectively)- about the same price as the 10 P, has gone through a change within the past year and half or so.

This is going to be a range gun only. I wanted to take advantage of the rebate with the Model 12 from Savage but my local Cabela's doesn't have any and can't order one. I did get to hold the 10T while I was there and liked how it felt, I feel like the weight would not be an issue since I am only going to use this at the range. I figure the other models being different variations of the Model 10 would be comparable to the 10T.

Local ranges go out to 200 yards (paper/steel) but there will be opportunity to hit out to 800 yards (steel) later on down the road once I have practiced, practiced and practiced some more, as I know I won't be shooting that far to start.

So with that out there, which one would be the better option or is there any real difference aside from magazine and barrel profile/length?

Thanks in advance,

MD

Edit

I thought I had put this in the help me decide, if a mod can move it there I would appreciate it and sorry for the mistake.

Basic Member
    If you plan to go out to 1000 yards, the 10T in 6.5 creedmoor will do the job. Under say 700 to 800 the 308 will work. 308 can be done to 1000 but you would probably need to reload to get an optimum round. I have both. Reload for the 10T 308, it's a tac drive on a good day. Creedmoor is fairly new so just commercial in it so far. Fairly inexpensive rifles but good. If you have the Bucks, consider the new savage stealth. Trued action. Both available in 308 and 6.5 creedmoor.

Any of the rifles you mentioned are good and 95% practically the same rifle.

If you're not going to shoot beyond 750yards, I would get the 20" FCP-SR.

But Do yourself a favor and get either the Cabela's 10T or the FCP-SR, because they both have a accustock aluminum bed. IF the 10P has the accustock then they're all the same and any of them will do you good.

I'll be there dissenting vote.
    I've shot, posted video of, a few sporter 22" pencil barrels going beyond 1,000. Especially with the 308, don't get caught-up in internet fuss about velocity and length. The simple fact is there isn't more than a 50fps difference, and if that makes you miss, it wasn't the barrel in the first place.

To me, a long barrel is 24", and 20-22 is just fine and dandy. There is 308 factory ammo in every store in America. Good match type ammo will cost you dearly. But doesn't take the Pope's blessing to find. The Creed is easily the flatter cartridge, and won't require as much scope adjustment. Quality ammo is about half of the 308.

So get the one you want, it isn't going to matter. I did a Primary arms review here a few years back showing targets shot just under a Mile with both Creed and 308. Neither have anything like "hot" ammo, not magic components.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Banned
    Cabellas 10T is probably the best choice cost vs anything.

It has a pretty decent stock, Acu trigger (big plus in my book and its the Varmeint type so it adjust down to 1.5 ls) and the heavy varmint barrel (you can shoot fairly steady without it heating up and mucking up your range time with cool down)

Savage calls it a vrminet, its one countoru shot of a bull, so its a heavy varmint. The 5R rifling is a plus.