Thread: Savage 10T tinker project

scuzzy

Savage 10T tinker project

I just wanted to post my rifle I got to a "finish" point. Turned out nicely. I have some progress pics. I gleaned the interweb for ideas, so I take no credit for any perceived creativity! I'm glad I called Krylon, as they gave me specific instructions on applying and working with some very different paints. I hope this can help someone who wants to tinker.

I did a 220 grit sand over the entire stock and degreased with denatured alcohol. Then I taped up border for adding grip via JB Weld.

Then applied slightly set JB weld and textured with Popsicle stick. This is after masking tape is removed.

Next I did a base coat of Krylon Supermaxx flat black. This is some impressive rattle can paint. Sticks to everything and goes on very smooth.

I waited 48 hours for my initial layers of base to cure, then used steel wool to knock down some rough left over from sanding the synthetic stock. After doing 2 quick, light coats of base, I then sponged on Behr Ultra Premium Indoor/Outdoor latex paint I got in tester size, and then did 3 coats of Krylon Covermaxx gloss clear acrylic. all this had to be done within 30 minutes, per Krylon, so that the base would bond with the latex and acrylic.

After letting set-up for 24 hours, I re-assembled my rifle, attached my cheek riser, and this is what came together.

I'm pleased with how it came out. And I'm glad spray paint has improved in the past 15 years!

Team Savage
    Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!

Very interesting use of epoxy! The paint looks good too.