Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Cool

Barrel Cool

Anyone have or tried one of these, I ordered one but have not received it yet, I figured I have spent a lot more than $35.00 on other things so we shall see. Apparently it cuts cooling time in half.

http://barrelcool.com/

Dean

PS: I am sure it would come in handy at P Dog hunt
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Danna1
    Mined arrived about a week ago and I used it at the range....not a cure all but reduced temp a lot quicker.

I'm glad you posted this. Gave me a great idea. I just need to get busy and build a prototype now!

Team Savage
    I am sure that they work,but they cool only to ambient temp,
    if you can wait that long
    after I said that ,I will order one

Basic Member
    Seems pretty cool...no pun intended. Smaller than a scuba tank, probably last about as long. Some guy at the range had one last summer, or something like it.

I just set my gun in the rack and shoot another gun for a while. Even less waiting.

Banned
    You could rig up your own larger battery powered fan.

Battery costs will be a long term annoyance , I suspect far less than hours listed.

Recharagable would be much better.

Is there sufficient room for the unit to pull cooler air into the chamber? One video I watched a week or two ago looked like it filled the chamber on the full side, so you would have to remove the bolt to help with air flow, if that would help any.

bsumoba
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    You could rig up your own larger battery powered fan.
    Battery costs will be a long term annoyance , I suspect far less than hours listed.
    Recharagable would be much better.
    A large fan blowing across the barrel will most definitely help cool the barrel, but convenience and the required power makes it challenging in many cases. Because BarrelCool doubled as a chamber flag, it can be used at every range in the US during cease fires and will fit in any range bag, rifle bag or pocket.

If you do not have a rack to place a rifle standing upright to take advantage of the "chimney effect," BarrelCool is a good way of getting the same effect with more airflow and with the rifle resting as is, on the bench or shooting station.

Rechargeables have less capacity than standard batteries so they will go out faster, but yes, you can recharge them. With (3) CR123A batteries that each have 1400mAH of capacity, we tested and documented on multiple occasions, approximately 7 hours of battery life in constant ON mode and much more than that while using it intermittently in 20-30 minute intervals. BarrelCool will come with a set of batteries and we also sell some at a very reasonable cost that you can order at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jpx2rk View Post
    Is there sufficient room for the unit to pull cooler air into the chamber? One video I watched a week or two ago looked like it filled the chamber on the full side, so you would have to remove the bolt to help with air flow, if that would help any.
    The fan is located on the top and there is sufficient space in most actions and firearms for cooler air to be drawn into BarrelCool and through the bore.

Basic Member
    You can also buy the batteries in a rechargeable form, with recharger. Here is what I found after a brief search. https://www.amazon.com/Power2000-XP-...attery+charger

Even comes with a cigarette lighter adapter for your car so you can charge on the way to the range.

Well I put mine to the test today, and it worked better than I thought, so I am pleased to say the least.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Sounds good Deano....I may end up getting one...
    and besides, how cool is it to be sitting at the range with a fan blowing down the chamber cooling it off 😉👍
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Well I researched my 'idea' some. Turns out a few other guys have already done it. That is, using a CO2 cartridge and bleed valve/regulator to purge the bore/chamber. The CO2 would cool the bbl much more quickly than ambient air.

A vortex cooler connected to a scuba tank would be about perfect.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I was thinking a paintball tank at first, but thought about portability and thought the small cartridges(single range session) would work out pretty well. Not sure about how much pressure a scuba tank holds? or if there would be any integrity issues. (not a diver). But yeah the vortex cooler would be a similar premise.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Well I researched my 'idea' some. Turns out a few other guys have already done it. That is, using a CO2 cartridge and bleed valve/regulator to purge the bore/chamber. The CO2 would cool the bbl much more quickly than ambient air.
    You also run the possibility of cooling too quickly and then having condensate left in the barrel if not done properly. Just a thought to consider...

Scope eye can you use regular 9volt batteries ?
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

No not with out jury rigging you can't.

Dean

LongRange
    heres how you cool a barrel quickly...wet T shirt kept in a cooler...works well for other things but we wont go into that LOL!

.works well for other things but we wont go into that LOL
    Do tell!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

triehl27
    I'd be all for Barrel Cool, IF it had the ability to utilize a USB battery.

Most of us carry one for our phones, tablets, etc.

Having the ability to run Barrel cool off a USB battery would make it rechargable, easy battery change, and multifunctional.

Plus, with some USB batteries you'd have 100's of hours of capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Do tell!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    heres how you cool a barrel quickly...wet T shirt kept in a cooler...works well for other things but we wont go into that LOL!

+1^
    Beat me to the punch before I could take a pic. I use towel + frozen discarded bottled water containers. $0 for towel, maybe $.10 for freezer electric, $05 for tap water. An old PD hunter trick.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triehl27 View Post
    I'd be all for Barrel Cool, IF it had the ability to utilize a USB battery.
    Just buy rechargeable RCR123A batteries w/ charger. http://www.batteryjunction.com/tener...r-400-kit.html
    Then if you don't have one already buy a 12V DC to 115 VAC inverter for your vehicle. I have/use a 400 Peak but there are others. I use it in my truck to charge-maintain my tool, camera and muff rechargeables.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbp75503 View Post
    +1^
    Beat me to the punch before I could take a pic. I use towel + frozen discarded bottled water containers. $0 for towel, maybe $.10 for freezer electric, $05 for tap water. An old PD hunter trick.
    I saw a guy taking this a step further and using isopropyl alcohol on rags to speed up the cooling.

I have used the wet rags trick a bunch of times and it works Van Nuys in the dry Arizona heat.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I had heard of some folks running water through the bore on some pretty high dollar rifles when shooting in 105 F temps. When I lived in the desert years go I decided to try it since I couldn't shoot more than 2 shots in ten minutes without the barrel becoming too hot. Often it was too hot just sitting there in the sun after 1 shot or even ZERO shots.

It worked really well. Just run a few dry patches through when done and one lightly oiled and start shooting again. No adverse impact on Stainless tubes per bore scope inspection and accuracy / barrel life. I am still shooting some of those barrels a decade later. It cools significantly faster than water soaked rags on the outside. I usually do both the wet rags and the water down the tube. Make sure the steel is below 298 F before you do this. If water on the outside RAPIDLY sizzles away, you are likely on the upper edge or too hot to use water cooling. Let it air cool down below the boiling point inside the bore and then run water through it.

From Wikipedia:

Tempering quenched-steel at very low temperatures, between 66 and 148 °C (151 and 298 °F), will usually not have much effect other than a slight relief of some of the internal stresses. Tempering at higher temperatures, from 148 to 205 °C (298 to 401 °F), will produce a slight reduction in hardness, but will primarily relieve much of the internal stresses. Tempering in the range of 260 and 340 °C (500 and 644 °F) causes a decrease in ductility and an increase in brittleness, and is referred to as the "tempered martensite embrittlement" (TME) range.

LongRange
    i seen a guy using a barrel cool yesterday at our match...it worked very well and the batteries lasted and were still going strong from 830am until 3pm...im going to get one and will report back...i think with a cool wet rag and air blowing through the barrel it will cool quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast