Pardon some of my ignorance. I'm a member to the forum and have done several barrel swaps on my Savages, but haven't been on the forum in quite some time. I kind of have my eye on the 112 Magnum Target in 338 Lapua. But I'm wanting with not only the ability to shoot 338 Lapua but also to swap to a smaller cartridge, most likely a belted mag or similar. I know the receiver, lugs, and lug recesses are beefier and it is heat treated differently to make it stronger. All qualities I like and the reason I'm wanting it. If I've researched correctly, it sounds like I would need to have a bolt head custom made for a different case head. Here's where my lack of knowledge comes in on this particular action. My question is why? I know the lugs on the Lapua are thicker front to back which would make the nose of the bolt come out further in the front receiver ring. Are they dimensionally different otherwise? If I put a regular magnum bolt head on it, can I not just screw the barrel in further until it contacts the go gauge appropriately and tighten down the nut from there? Or is it that big of a difference that there isn't enough threads on the barrel to do so? Any advice/input would be appreciated.