Thread: LH, RH action differences?

Basic Member

LH, RH stock inletting?

On the newer Savages, model 10, 14 and 16's with the bottom bolt release and detachable magazines. Aside from the obvious bolt location, are there any differences in the stock inletting?

Thanks
    Last edited by justinp61; 06-14-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Yes... Where the trigger goes in the stock is opposite of the right hand action. A minute with a dremel will make things equal. My brother has a left hand mod 11 7mm08 he purchased very recently and it doesn't have a bottom metal. the magazine is like on the axis.

Basic Member
    Thanks Zero. I have a RH (I shoot LH) mdl 16 in 260 in a factory stock that is very finicky on the hold and I don't really care for the hand position this stock requires as I have got used to shooting my BTVLSS (LH thumb hole) MKII and my mdl 12 in a Elk Stalker ambidextrous thumb hole stock. My thoughts for the 260 is to buy a LH Boyds thumb hole stock and inlet it for the RH action then fill the left bolt slot.

Basic Member
    { My thoughts for the 260 is to buy a LH Boyds thumb hole stock and inlet it for the RH action then fill the left bolt slot.}
    Bad idea.....cutting another bolt slot will weaken the stock and it WILL crack at that point.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    { My thoughts for the 260 is to buy a LH Boyds thumb hole stock and inlet it for the RH action then fill the left bolt slot.}
    Bad idea.....cutting another bolt slot will weaken the stock and it WILL crack at that point.
    You may be right but at this point This is what I have to work with.

Basic Member
    THey used to offer left hand stocks/right hand actions... might give them a call.

Team Savage
    .cutting another bolt slot will weaken the stock and it WILL crack at that point.???
    I had to do just that to get exactly what I wanted. Wanted a right hand stock cut for a left hand action. What I ended up with was a left hand action cut with the bolt release and handle cut on the left side??? WTF??(Mirror image!!)
    Ended up getting a full right hand "laminated" thumb hole bench rest style stock. Plugged the right bolt cut and re cut it on the left side. No weakness from the cut in that area. I wanted a left hand action in a right hand stock. Strictly for bench shooting. I am and shoot right handed. Right hand stays in the thumb hole for stock control while the left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo. Works LIKE A CHAMP!! This was for the earlier models with the bolt release on the top. right. Newer models are different??
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    THey used to offer left hand stocks/right hand actions... might give them a call.
    I asked before ordering...... no go.