Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Nope but I just received an email from a buddy and apparently they posted it on another forum

I'll see if I can find it

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Here you go - posted by Kevin Thomas of Lapua - USA

May as well go ahead and drive a stake through the heart of this thread right now; Yes, we currently have 6.5 Creedmoor in to works. We discussed this one at length in Finland during a new products development meeting a few months back. Several of us were pushing this one rather hard, due to the tremendous feedback we'd taken on the cartridge, and the popularity that the cartridge has already earned. Not a big one in Europe, but the US market is a significant share of our business, and we most definitely do listen to customer input. The first set ups are currently being done, and the initial trial run and in-house testing will be done shortly after that. If all goes well, we'll move on with production and hopefully make the formal introduction of this one during the SHOT show in January.

Hang on guys, it's coming.

I shoot Lapua in my 338 along with other brass. In my 6.5 I use Hornady. So far not had any issues people talk about (loose primer etc). Anneal after about 2-3 shots. Only questions for me will revolve around: Cost per round, availability and when released.

Will be interesting to hear testing results from folks. Sounds like at least 1 year before available (comment about Shot Show in Jan 2017 and then lead time to release).

Basic Member
    Not doubting you, but it seems crazy that Savage is having to make barrels from scratch for all returning new 10 BA Stealth's. Their website still shows 24" barrel. Is their final configuration to sell 22" or 24" barrels? Seems like it should be a drop-in replacement.

5. 08-25-2016, 07:58 PM
    Reason
    duplicate post

Jrs81
    Can't wait for some 6.5 Lapua brass!!! Finally lol, all my hornady brass is getting put to great use currently, on 4th reloads for most of them. Did anneal them after 2nd batch of loads. I personally haven't had any problems with primers coming out but do notice they seem to press in a lot easier than nosler brass does. Never made it to the range Sunday cause our lovely upstate NY weather. As for the barrels on the stealth they told me when mine was there that they had a ton of the barrels ready to go and it still took 4 weeks to get the gun back. 1 of the 4 was waiting on shipping which I found a little odd, ups picks it up and for some reason my gun sat in shipping for an entire week before being sent out to me, all I could think is they were shipping in quantity to save some loot. Hope to hear your results soon Cbryars2

Basic Member
    Yea, I have 5-6 reloads on my hornady 6.5 brass and a buddy has more than that, I've only tossed a few for loose primer pockets.

Interesting, when I sent mine in, was told they had barrels. Now 3 different customer service calls with 3 reps, all said they have to be made. Either bad info, or the 24" blanks are there, but they still have to ream, etc.

That seems to be the case from what I'm hearing.

Never thought I would say this. but I've decided to sell my 6.5. Too much company "mis-information" and lack of customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    Never thought I would say this. but I've decided to sell my 6.5. Too much company "mis-information" and lack of customer service.
    Actually there is no mis information

The barrel is 22" and marketing posted 24" for whatever reason

And Savage gives you the option to get a 24" barrel installed for free on your Stealth . . .

My statement is based on 3-4 phone conversations with customer service from the very beginning of this issue of 22" vs 24" barrel length-20 minutes arguing about the "published" vs actual length, availability of 24" barrels(1 week or 4 week) and the failure to return messages among other things. Call it what you will- I thought misinformation was being nice. My gun is now shooting 1/2 MOA, but I'm 67 ( a satisfied Savage customer for 30+ years) and don't want to wait out for them to decide if and when they can fix this gun - LOL

My statement is based on 3-4 phone conversations with customer service from the very beginning of this issue of 22" vs 24" barrel length-20 minutes arguing about the "published" vs actual length, availability of 24" barrels(1 week or 4 week) and the failure to return messages among other things. Call it what you will- I thought misinformation was being nice. My gun is now shooting 1/2 MOA, but I'm 67 ( a satisfied Savage customer for 30+ years) and don't want to wait out for them to decide if and when they can fix this gun - LOL
    Well than all I can say that you are correct and I respect your point of view

And if you like you rifle like it is . . .

Basic Member
    Hi Samurai,
    I understand your frustration in dealing with Savage Customer Service. Unfortunately in most company's, folks working in Customer Service are "low on the Totem Pole" and have little authority. I encourage you to take a little time and write a sincere letter with your concerns (and being a long-time Savage owner) and mail your letter to:

Al Kasper - President/COO
    Savage Arms
    100 Springdale Road
    Westfield, MA 01085

You might also send a copy of your letter to:

Brian Herrick - VP Marketing & Sales
    Savage Arms
    100 Springdale Road
    Westfield, MA 01085

Quote Originally Posted by Keith_A View Post
    Hi Samurai,
    I understand your frustration in dealing with Savage Customer Service. Unfortunately in most company's, folks working in Customer Service are "low on the Totem Pole" and have little authority. I encourage you to take a little time and write a sincere letter with your concerns (and being a long-time Savage owner) and mail your letter to:

Al Kasper - President/COO
    Savage Arms
    100 Springdale Road
    Westfield, MA 01085

You might also send a copy of your letter to:

Brian Herrick - VP Marketing & Sales
    Savage Arms
    100 Springdale Road
    Westfield, MA 01085
    Great idea !

I would go for it

And send them certified so you know that arrive 😉

Savage received my rifle today and the included note said that I would like the 24" barrel installed.

But I also asked that if a 26" barrel option was available I would be more than happy to pay $$ to have it installed instead.

What do you think my chances are at getting the longer barrel? Fingers crossed.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buoux308 View Post
    Savage received my rifle today and the included note said that I would like the 24" barrel installed.

But I also asked that if a 26" barrel option was available I would be more than happy to pay $$ to have it installed instead.

What do you think my chances are at getting the longer barrel? Fingers crossed.....
    Hi buoux308,

Good idea asking about a 26" barrel. I think I'll also inquire about a 26" upgrade. If they are making these barrels one at a time per order, I'd think it would only be the extra time it takes to machine the barrel 2" longer. On the other hand, if they are trying to make more money off of us, I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted $100 - $ 200 more. We'll see....

Keith

New Savage 110ba stealth 300 win mag showing up on GunBroker - link - http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/581090559

Called Savage today - Rifle being function fired, if passes, next step is shipping. Will call Friday to see if shipped.

Update - Called Savage, rifle passed test firing, on it's way back sporting a 24" barrel, exactly 4 weeks and 1 day after they received it. Due to arrive in 4 days due to Labor day.

Can't wait to try it out!

Well she finally arrived - fresh with a 24" non-flutted barrel (as I requested). Balance is wonderful and the barrel is nice and stout. My suppressor should be out of tax-stamp jail in 4-6 weeks and it will look great on that barrel. Cleaned with Butch's, then J&B, then Hoppe's, finally light oil. Used my 20 dollar Amazon "bore scope" to check between stages and it definitely looks much nicer. No obvious tool marks, etc.

Checked feed and with magpul mags still getting about 20% feeds where I have to back off a little, then push forward, it seats fine then. Tried a little graphite in magpul, did not seem to help.

Made bore pictures and shots of new barrel, will try and post tomorrow.

Really happy how it looks and feels. If it shots as well, I will be a happy camper.

Did buy Fit to Finish and loaded 50 rounds. Will test fire and determine whether to start with #1 or #3 depending on test results.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Well she finally arrived - fresh with a 24" non-flutted barrel (as I requested). Balance is wonderful and the barrel is nice and stout. My suppressor should be out of tax-stamp jail in 4-6 weeks and it will look great on that barrel. Cleaned with Butch's, then J&B, then Hoppe's, finally light oil. Used my 20 dollar Amazon "bore scope" to check between stages and it definitely looks much nicer. No obvious tool marks, etc.

Checked feed and with magpul mags still getting about 20% feeds where I have to back off a little, then push forward, it seats fine then. Tried a little graphite in magpul, did not seem to help.

Made bore pictures and shots of new barrel, will try and post tomorrow.

Really happy how it looks and feels. If it shots as well, I will be a happy camper.

Did buy Fit to Finish and loaded 50 rounds. Will test fire and determine whether to start with #1 or #3 depending on test results.
    Congrats on finally getting your rifle back. Any idea on the weight difference between the standard fluted barrel and your non-fluted barrel?? What scope and ring (height) are you currently using?
    Keith

Basic Member
    Interested to see a video of someone going through a mag or two and see the, feeding, extraction, and ejection function on one of these tuned up Savage Actions! This has always been where I've found the action design to fall short and would love to have an option to put together a reliable low budget trainer set up.

Basic Member
    Have read from others the cycling is better than the standard savages. Have seen a RPR cycle fast through a mag with no jamming. Hoping the stealths are the same.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

I'll weigh tomorrow and get you an answer.

I use a Bushnell 4.5 x 30 Elite with GAP reticle on a Larue QD. It is excellent and zero is spot on even though it does duty on 4 rifles. The Larue is an AR type mount so it sits high. about 2.5 over center of the bore. My maon criteria was to get 1 good scope that I can use on 6.5, 300 WM & .338 Lapua. Handles them all well. My eye site is not the greatest, so scope maybe over kill but it works for me.

Hope that helps.

Never done a video, may try to get you one when we go to Talladega in 2 weeks. On the issues I am having it is on the 140 ELD-M Hornady & my handload 130 Berger's. The PMag is better than to stock mag, not tried the AICS yet.

About every 4th round (10 shot Mag) I get the round mostly chambered, then have to back off about 1" and slide back in, no other issues. Still diagnosing, it may be angle related. I tinker so to me a fairly minor issue. Wife has RPR 6.5 and I have seen the same issue, but not as often (pretty rare).

Anyone else seeing this?

You will happy to hear that we received a new 6.5 from a distributor with the correct 24" barrel-may have to replace the one I sold-LOL

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast