Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

You won't get Savage to just send you a replacement barrel for a couple reasons. First, they want the other barrel back. Second, they can't proof-test the barrel until it's on a gun and they won't send out a non-proofed barrel for liability reasons. Third, barrels aren't stamped until they're installed on the action to ensure it's properly aligned and visible in the correct location.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Read Truth about Guns on FCP-SR - They had to replace the stock, guess what they used - XLR it improved accuracy by a reported 50%. Stealth comes with a similar stock so from a cost prospective I think it would be a wash.

Range Update

Took 45 rounds to my home range. As I mentioned before, we cannot shoot prone, and the benchrest flexed. Made a support out of 1 1-1/4" dowel, it really helped with flex.

Had 25 rounds Berger 130 OTM: 5 41.5g H4350 fouling & sverifying 100 yd setting (I use a longer 0), 5 rounds each 41.3, 41.5, 41.7, 41.9. Also 20 rounds 123 Amax at 41.5, 42.3, 43.1, 43.6. Results are below.

5 shot fouling group - really happy .62 with a cold bore.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Berger 130 OTM at 41.7gr H4350
    [IMG][/IMG]

Berger 130 OTM 41.9 H4350
    [IMG][/IMG]

Amax 123 best group
    [IMG][/IMG]

For me, the Berger is becoming my std round. It shoots well at magazine length and is designed to maximize impact. You can target shoot & use for hunting.

Very happy with stealth. This now surpasses my ability with RPR 6.5. Hope to get below 1/2 moa with more practice.

Thanks Cameron

piotrowski
    Can't seem to find the spec for the diameter of the barrel at the thread protector (looking to get a brake for a rifle that's on the way). If one of you who already have one could post it, I'd appreciate it.

5/8 inch std thread muzzle brake.

Barrel length

Interesting to note, Cal over at Precision Rifle Blog considers 22" the perfect length for 6.5 creedmoor. He also made an interesting statement about RPR they tested "We tested a factory Ruger Precision Rifle we tested a couple of months and it averaged 0.91 MOA five-shot groups with this same Hornady 140gr A-Max match-grade ammo." Link is http://precisionrifleblog.com/2016/0...r-ar-showdown/. Would love to see one on Stealth.

He also posted great article on 1 MOA rifle vs 1/2 MOA - what is real impact on long range shooting http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/0...p-size-matter/.

Based on this, wonder if it is really worth getting barrel swapped. To me it would be much better if they just sent me one, I'll take care of installing.

piotrowski
    Realize its a 5/8x24 thread, but is the barrel .75 or some other diameter? Thanks.

About .754 - .755

Thanks Samurai - could not check, bug bombing that area, so no access.

2 questions, some of you guys have alot more experience than I do.

1. Should I bother getting the barrel swapped? Do you think I can get more accuracy out of a new one, or is it a crap-shoot depending on luck of the draw on barrels?

2. Savage 110 FCP in .338. Does this rifle need to be bedded? After seeing results on FCP-SR is makes me wonder. Switching to an XLR stock made a big difference on their accuracy.

Thanks Cameron

Jrs81
    Cbryars2, I was in a toss up about my barrel as well but for my intended use I would like the 24" barrel. The 22" barrel should be fine depending on application but the more speed for longer shots really helps. My usage goes beyond 1200 yards so I would have really liked a 26" barrel but the 24 will do until its worn out. Most any of the barrel makers out there will tell you a 26" barrel for the Creedmoor is optimal if you want to get everything you can from that round. I gave in and sent my stealth back for the replacement barrel and to my surprise the guy on the other end when I called actually said it's a smart move as they themselves intended on a 24" barrel because through their research they had found that was the best length. The first guy I had spoken with said it was a marketing error but he was just a customer service guy, the other one was a tech. And they also said now was the time to get it done cause their slow on work, normal turn around times are within 3 weeks and they said it should be alot quicker than that! On your Fcp in 338 I would Google savage action screw torque tuning, a guy named stan did an article in accurate shooter and it works amazingly through my findings. I would have a hard time putting any money anywhere until you try that first, it really works well!

Jrs81
    On that note I forgot to mention that Ruger changed from a 26" barrel on their rpr to a 24" barrel as well , I found that interesting especially when the 1st batch with 26's were shooting so well. The reason for more speed is less dope when shooting longer distances so the longer the barrel the flatter it shoots so to speak. An 18" barrel will shoot at 1k yards but with alot more moa adjustment to your scope.
    Last edited by Jrs81; 07-24-2016 at 09:02 PM.

@Jrs81 perfect explanation

Now 24 or 26" depends on the ammo you shoot.

But IIRC Hornady made the Creedmoor 6.5 ammo for a 26" barrel.

With the 2" you will get a few fps more but finally that's what we are looking good for !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Thanks guys good info, will check out the accurate shooter info and call savage for a RMA.

Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Thanks guys good info, will check out the accurate shooter info and call savage for a RMA.
    Maybe check if Savage perhaps can offer you a 26" replacement barrel . . . .

It's only one question away 😉

Question, on the 26", will it have any impact if I get a can? One I have in mind, if I remember correctly, is about 10" long.

Question, on the 26", will it have any impact if I get a can? One I have in mind, if I remember correctly, is about 10" long.
    Than a 24" is ok

No cans allowed in CA 😭

Justin.D

I think if you hang a can off the end of anything over 20" it starts to get silly. Most guys cut down for a can. Especially with the lightweight Stealth, its gonna be super unbalanced, but that's probably not ultra important if you only shoot it off the bench. It also seems cans can help a shorter barrel get the velocity up, I'm not sure if there is a length where velocity starts going the other direction when using a can.

I also don't think they have any comparable tapered barrels in 26", its either pea shooter or full bull barrel with no fluting which would add a ton of weight to the front of the rifle, and then with the can it would really get things out of wack.

My guess is you will be happy with either barrel, and the length will most likely make zero difference in accuracy unless you get a barrel that is a factory freak or a dud, and that's just luck. If you decide to get the 24" and want to cut it down after getting the can, it will most likely have a little heavier taper at the same length, which in my mind is a slight advantage, mostly for aesthetics.

Maybe read this first

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/0...zzle-velocity/

This was with factory ammo?

I wonder what handloaders can do with that extra 4" of barrel and powders with different burn rates?

Folding Adapter & MBA-3 stock

Pictures with folding adapter and MBA-3 stock.

Folded

The MBA-3 was a bear to get onto the existing buffer tube (requiring a rubber mallet). I'm not sure why it was so difficult as another rifle is also wearing an MBA-3 stock and did not have those fitment issues. Having said that, the stock is rock-solid.

I sprung for the folding adapter after seeing how compact my RPR (.308) became with the stock folded. The adapter mounted easily (thank you @CBryars2 for pointing out the extra set screw on the bottom of the chassis) and is very quick to open and close. A little too quick: picking up the rifle by the barrel or chassis causes the stock to swing into place. MDT is working on a version that locks in the folded position and I am definitely going to get one. In the meantime, it just requires extra care getting it in and out of the safe, so it is doesn't swing into another gun.

@Kingair001, you beat me to posting the PRBlog article about muzzle length and velocity. I've got a TBAC Ultra-7 on order for this rifle. So, at 22" plus 7" of suppressor (which is a little shorter than the 30P-1 in the article), I am hoping to be around 2740-2750 fps once the barrel is broken in. I chronographed my first 10 shots using Hornady 140gr. ELD Match ammo and got an average of 2691 fps (estimating about 30 fps for barrel wear-in and 20 fps for the suppressor).

Some "buffer tubes" that are used to mount adjustable cheek rests and butt pads for rifle chassis are not the same O.D. as the AR style rifles. Even on the AR's there are two different sizes/dimensions. Mil. Spec. - 1.185" and Commercial - 1.170".
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Agreed, but the MBA-3 is sized for Mil Spec buffer tubes, so the ID should fit or be loose on a Commercial tube.

Has anyone else had issues replacing the adjustable buttstock?

Returned a call to Savage today and was told the 24" barrels are not in stock yet - I told them to let me know when they show up and I'll send my gun back. Plan on shooting it until then. I've had my Ruger 6.5 Precision rifle a year and was unaware the it was originally supposed to be 26"- good to know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGnRnr View Post
    Pictures with folding adapter and MBA-3 stock.

Folded

The MBA-3 was a bear to get onto the existing buffer tube (requiring a rubber mallet). I'm not sure why it was so difficult as another rifle is also wearing an MBA-3 stock and did not have those fitment issues. Having said that, the stock is rock-solid.

I sprung for the folding adapter after seeing how compact my RPR (.308) became with the stock folded. The adapter mounted easily (thank you @CBryars2 for pointing out the extra set screw on the bottom of the chassis) and is very quick to open and close. A little too quick: picking up the rifle by the barrel or chassis causes the stock to swing into place. MDT is working on a version that locks in the folded position and I am definitely going to get one. In the meantime, it just requires extra care getting it in and out of the safe, so it is doesn't swing into another gun.

@Kingair001, you beat me to posting the PRBlog article about muzzle length and velocity. I've got a TBAC Ultra-7 on order for this rifle. So, at 22" plus 7" of suppressor (which is a little shorter than the 30P-1 in the article), I am hoping to be around 2740-2750 fps once the barrel is broken in. I chronographed my first 10 shots using Hornady 140gr. ELD Match ammo and got an average of 2691 fps (estimating about 30 fps for barrel wear-in and 20 fps for the suppressor).
    Been looking at that for awhile to replace my PRS stock. Have you shot with it yet? If so, how do you like it? PRS is ok but a bit long on my savage 10T 6.5 creedmoor. Want something a few inches shorter. Appreciate any response.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast