Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Basic Member

RJ from Savage just called me and they are in the process of getting some new barrels in and will swap out the 22" in barrels for 24". But expect a 3-4 week turnaround. Way to go Savage !

Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    RJ from Savage just called me and they are in the process of getting some new barrels in and will swap out the 22" in barrels for 24". But expect a 3-4 week turnaround. Way to go Savage !
    Wonder how much this is gonna cost . . .

No QC anymore these days . . . 😂

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Jrs81
    After reading this post I just measured my barrel and s.o.b it's 22"!!! I also noticed today that I already have rust started on the nut where the chassis meets the butt stock, there is no finish on my nut at all, never paid any attention to it before until just noticed rust. This chassis system is supposed to be cerekoted, must be they missed the nut, anyone else seeing this on theirs??

Quote Originally Posted by Jrs81 View Post
    After reading this post I just measured my barrel and s.o.b it's 22"!!! I also noticed today that I already have rust started on the nut where the chassis meets the butt stock, there is no finish on my nut at all, never paid any attention to it before until just noticed rust. This chassis system is supposed to be cerekoted, must be they missed the nut, anyone else seeing this on theirs??
    Another issue . . .

Well I checked and - you guessed it - 22". Has anyone heard process for swapping? Will they send replacement or do you have to send in? Also, I did notice some rust on castle nut when I replaced with fixed stock. I'm pretty sure that was std castle nut, nothing fancy there.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    I was told the same thing about my new LRP with barrel issues, 8 weeks later I still had not received it so the LGS I bought it from traded me out of it for the Stealth. Now this. I will NOT be sending the rifle back to Savage. I wonder if they would just send me a new 24" barrel?

Jrs81
    I will be contacting them in the morning cause I happen to be off tomorrow. Hoping the same as you guys are, barrel sent to me not a gun sent to them. The castle nut as they call it for whatever unknown reason is bothersome as well. I'd consider that as part of the chassis which is advertised as cerekoted. I keep my guns clean, but live in N.Y, central, and the humidity here is terrible all the time so protection from the elements is a must.. fingers crossed

I really can't get that they shipped out the rifles with a barrel 2" short of the specs . . . and with bolts that are already rusting

Jrs81
    Kingair001, I agree... the barrel is not a minor detail, it's arguably the most important part of the gun. Quality control is obviously non existent or in need of a major repair. I'm hoping to see them step forward and either pull the guns on the shelfs already off and fix the issue on their own rather then let more people get frustrated with a major mistake on their end. I saw another sitting at Runnings today, I'm gonna go check tomorrow and see if that too is 22". It's even harder to believe that they haven't caught it yet, or said boo about it.. how about a little red flag on their site when your looking at the stealth that there is a problem with x amount of models would be nice

Kingair001, I agree... the barrel is not a minor detail, it's arguably the most important part of the gun. Quality control is obviously non existent or in need of a major repair. I'm hoping to see them step forward and either pull the guns on the shelfs already off and fix the issue on their own rather then let more people get frustrated with a major mistake on their end. I saw another sitting at Runnings today, I'm gonna go check tomorrow and see if that too is 22". It's even harder to believe that they haven't caught it yet, or said boo about it.. how about a little red flag on their site when your looking at the stealth that there is a problem with x amount of models would be nice
    No idea how it happened !

Might be the 'barrel department'

Where do these barrels come from ?

Might be the manufacturer who made a mistake ?

And the rusting bolts ?

What else will pop up next . . .

Tons of questions to be asked to the QC department . . .

Jrs81
    Contacted savage this morning, they knew of the barrel issue and said their in the process of making the replacement barrels now. They said it was a marketing error not manufacturer error so must be they intended on these having a 22" barrel. Anyways they won't send a barrel to you, you need to send the gun to them. My rust issue with the jam nut or castle nut as they call it will be taken care of also, no explanation on that just a response they will have a new one installed that will be cerekoted. Very friendly to deal with, hoping I don't have to wait 3 months to get my gun back though

Contacted savage this morning, they knew of the barrel issue and said their in the process of making the replacement barrels now. They said it was a marketing error not manufacturer error so must be they intended on these having a 22" barrel. Anyways they won't send a barrel to you, you need to send the gun to them. My rust issue with the jam nut or castle nut as they call it will be taken care of also, no explanation on that just a response they will have a new one installed that will be cerekoted. Very friendly to deal with, hoping I don't have to wait 3 months to get my gun back though
    Guess it is more than a marketing problem

Why don't you ask for a 26" barrel

Give it a thought and if . . . pay some extra

Jrs81
    Just read a post from someone with a .308 stealth and apparently their barrel is wrong as well. It was supposed to be 20" and he's measuring 18. I did ask for a 26" barrel and was told it would be an extra 150 bucks which wouldn't bother me other than they also said around 8-12 weeks to get the barrel made and install so said I'll just get the 24". Guess if was to spend 150 at all for a barrel I'd just spend 300 and get a custom at that point.

Just read a post from someone with a .308 stealth and apparently their barrel is wrong as well. It was supposed to be 20" and he's measuring 18. I did ask for a 26" barrel and was told it would be an extra 150 bucks which wouldn't bother me other than they also said around 8-12 weeks to get the barrel made and install so said I'll just get the 24". Guess if was to spend 150 at all for a barrel I'd just spend 300 and get a custom at that point.
    Than I would go for a Hawk Hill, Benchmark or a Bartlein

I have a Hardy's Rifle Engineering carbon fiber wrapped barrel on Creedmoor 6.5 on the way for my new custom build rifle

Basic Member
    After the issues I had with Savage when I ordered the Stealth, I am soooo glad I told Savage to keep their Stealth in 6.5!! And got my money back. I went and got the Cabela's 10T in 6.5 Creedmor. Will be at the range in the morning to see how it does. And it is a 24" barrel. LOL

Justin.D
    Personally, before I decided to pull the trigger on my 10 FCP-SR I was going to go with the Stealth. In my opinion I do understand being upset getting something different than what you thought you were, but honestly if these are shooting well with the 22" barrel why so much urge to stick it to savage and send your rifle away for the 24"? 22" is a pretty optimal length, atleast for .308 probably the best, I actually paid more for a 20" than the 24" variant because the ballistics is so similar but 22" would have been ideal in my opinion. And as far as the buffer tube nut on the stock, that is made or sourced by the stock manufacture and is probably not coated to avoid finish chipping because it is after all hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondogg View Post
    After the issues I had with Savage when I ordered the Stealth, I am soooo glad I told Savage to keep their Stealth in 6.5!! And got my money back. I went and got the Cabela's 10T in 6.5 Creedmor. Will be at the range in the morning to see how it does. And it is a 24" barrel. LOL
    I have a Savage 12 LRP in Creedmoor 6.5

For an out of the box rifle - not a custom build but for the money 🖒

My new scope arrived - Athlon Argos 6-24x50 BTR APMR FFP IR MRAD

Gonna install it and than re-zero it using Prime Ammo

Wonder how it will perform . . .

I'll keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.D View Post
    Personally, before I decided to pull the trigger on my 10 FCP-SR I was going to go with the Stealth. In my opinion I do understand being upset getting something different than what you thought you were, but honestly if these are shooting well with the 22" barrel why so much urge to stick it to savage and send your rifle away for the 24"? 22" is a pretty optimal length, atleast for .308 probably the best, I actually paid more for a 20" than the 24" variant because the ballistics is so similar but 22" would have been ideal in my opinion. And as far as the buffer tube nut on the stock, that is made or sourced by the stock manufacture and is probably not coated to avoid finish chipping because it is after all hardware.
    Personally I think you have a nicer and better rifle now !

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    Personally I think you have a nicer and better rifle now !

Honestly the rifles are all basically the same, that's why I went with the 10 FCP-SR. Besides the chassis system, the barrel, trigger, and action are very comparable, still 10 RD detachable mag, and with the money I saved I could buy the chassis system and have a stealth "clone", which I plan to do to an extent down the road. If I could have purchased the 10T I would have considered it as well, because it is again very comparable, same trigger, comparable action, barrel is close besides the lack of fluting, smaller mag but cheaper price. The benefit to the Stealth is really in the chassis system and the better 10 round magazines, besides that they are very comparable rifles, and I would be super happy to own any of them.

Honestly the rifles are all basically the same, that's why I went with the 10 FCP-SR. Besides the chassis system, the barrel, trigger, and action are very comparable, still 10 RD detachable mag, and with the money I saved I could buy the chassis system and have a stealth "clone", which I plan to do to an extent down the road. If I could have purchased the 10T I would have considered it as well, because it is again very comparable, same trigger, comparable action, barrel is close besides the lack of fluting, smaller mag but cheaper price. The benefit to the Stealth is really in the chassis system and the better 10 round magazines, besides that they are very comparable rifles, and I would be super happy to own any of them.
    You're right
    Actually it is an upgrade of the 10 series
    And a nice rifle
    Only reason I would go for a 24 or even a 26" barrel is for long range shooting 1000 + yards
    For everything below it will perform perfectly with the 22" barrel

Justin.D
    You're right
    Actually it is an upgrade of the 10 series
    And a nice rifle
    Only reason I would go for a 24 or even a 26" barrel is for long range shooting 1000 + yards
    For everything below it will perform perfectly with the 22" barrel

To me, its a great rifle and actually exactly the rifle I was intending to "build". It is marketed as a lightweight precision type rifle. The chassis is called the "Lightweight Sniper System" (LSS). The goal was to be as light and compact as possible without sacrificing accuracy, which totally makes sense why they went with a collapsible stock and 22" barrel, and managed to keep it at around 9lbs. Not everyones cup of tea but I, and im sure others, think it is perfect for its intended purpose. Would you be better suited with something like your 12 LRP for bench and 1K+ shooting? Absolutely. But to have a rifle that you can carry for long distances fairly comfortably, while being able to ring steel out to 1k constantly, and punch paper accurately, that is quiet a feat. The use of a 22" barrel was definitely not a accident and ballastically its the " perfect " length for .308, imo. Just have to understand what the rifles intended use was.

To me, its a great rifle and actually exactly the rifle I was intending to "build". It is marketed as a lightweight precision type rifle. The chassis is called the "Lightweight Sniper System" (LSS). The goal was to be as light and compact as possible without sacrificing accuracy, which totally makes sense why they went with a collapsible stock and 22" barrel, and managed to keep it at around 9lbs. Not everyones cup of tea but I, and im sure others, think it is perfect for its intended purpose. Would you be better suited with something like your 12 LRP for bench and 1K+ shooting? Absolutely. But to have a rifle that you can carry for long distances fairly comfortably, while being able to ring steel out to 1k constantly, and punch paper accurately, that is quiet a feat. The use of a 22" barrel was definitely not a accident and ballastically its the " perfect " length for .308, imo. Just have to understand what the rifles intended use was.
    Yes my 12 LRP is really heavy . . .
    So the Stealth is a great rifle for someone carrying it for hours

On my new custom I am saving weight as well using a fully carbon T4A stock and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel

Justin.D
    Yes my 12 LRP is really heavy . . .
    So the Stealth is a great rifle for someone carrying it for hours

On my new custom I am saving weight as well using a fully carbon T4A stock and a carbon fiber wrapped barrel

Yeah, different intended purposes and different pros and cons for the varying applications and models. Let me know how you like that optic because I most likely am going to go with it or the 8x32x56 model. Ill try not to derail this thread any further.

Ill try not to derail this thread any further.
    NO let's not derail it . . . sorry guys !
    PM sent

Jrs81
    Justin D, wasn't trying to stick it to Savage at all. Mine was in a 6.5 creed not the 308 so to me the 24" barrel will perform better than the 22" barrel for my intended use. As for the nut with no finish on it, I understand tooling marks from installing if any, but there is no finish on mine at all and just from the humidity in the air here it already has rust spots starting. Even after cleaning and oiling it still showing rust after a week's time from sitting. I'm not to big of a fan of pulling my brand new rig out at the range and the first thing I see is rust, guns black and then a glowing spot of orange just isn't my thing. No biggie though, just wanted it corrected is all

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast