Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Update on the adapter and adding a fixed stock.
    Original fixed stock with no adapter
    [IMG][/IMG]

MDT Adapter
    [IMG][/IMG]

Adapter on rifle with Luth-AR
    [IMG][/IMG]

Set screw that appears to be for buffer tube (will be able to verify in about a week).
    [IMG][/IMG]

Current rifle pictures
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    That looks sweet. Been looking at that butt stock to put on my Cadex chassis. Is the adapter a separate purchase or comes with the stock?
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Adapter is separate, stock is Luth-AR, adapter is MDT.

Update - received the Magpul AICS magazine, it fits perfectly. A little break in on lips, but otherwise no issue. Feeds better than MDT, holds 10 rounds usable (MDT holds 8). With calipers show 2.8810 inside, so 2.86 COL no issue. MDT measures 2.83.

Update on the adapter and adding a fixed stock.
    Original fixed stock with no adapter
    [IMG][/IMG]
    What are you using for the foam cheek pad? I am also a Luth-AR fan, but did not see this pad/wrap on their website.

What are your thoughts on using the MBA-3 with the stock buffer tube?

Sorry for the delay, was off visiting family.

The foam pad is aftermarket - Kel-Tec KSG Neoprene Cheek Pad, Various Thickness Available - Amazon item #B016TTG4OG - I went with 1/4", cost around12.50 with free S&H. Works nice, glue seems good so far.

The MBA-3 looks like a great stock. No personal experience but it's adjustments are based on MBA-1. Says it has anti-rattle screw, so as long as you get a repeatable snug shoulder and cheek weld it should do great. If you go that route, let us know how it did!

Talladega Thursday

Visiting family for Independence Day. got to stop by Talladega. Really liking the range and people. John was RSO on the 600 and he was helping me on wind. Got a nice positive reinforcement when he said - let me know what range you want your good to go since you know what your doing. Felt good, not the best shooter that is for sure, but trying to get better. Some pictures of rifle as it now is configured along with some results.

Current configuration - 20 MOA EGW rail, Luth-AR MBA-1 with adapter, Stock rail with monopod and Magpul AICS 10 shot magazine.

After resetting scope for the 20 MOA rail shot a 1 MOA 50 point 5 shot with 4 x's. You guys probably can shoot better groups but for me was real pleased. Monopod helps me but lateral shift still needs some work on my part.

At 300 wind started to have more impact, note right side where it shows wind at impact, direction shift is a bear for me. John teaching me to look for the lull between shifts. He is a great guy, offered to teach me some more next trip out. I try and go mid-week when few people there. MOA 1.6 not the best but with wind I'm ok learning.

Having now shot the rifle for 200 rounds here is my conclusion -
    I really like the Stealth. Cost a few bucks - about 250 for stock, adapter and rail (MBA-3 if it works will drop that to about 210) to make on par with RPR. If you like the factory stock, only 60 to get a 20 MOA rail.

Direct comparison (my opinion only) to RPR:
    Pro:
    Lighter
    Little less money approx 1200 Stealth to 1350-1550 RPR (18005 or 18008 model) including new stock, adapter and rail.
    Handguard - like the Stealth a lot more
    Accuracy - I would say equal for me anyway, the RPR is .8 avg for me, so is the Stealth at 100 yd. At Talladega, the Stealth did better for me.
    Barrel nut and barrel swap out seems easier on Stealth, since it uses savage barrels, aftermarket has BA barrels that work.
    Magazine - MDT is ok, AICS Magpul much better.

Cons:
    RPR has a better bolt design, the shorter lift is a real winner. Stealth is more std type, so not as slick
    Stock from factory for RPR is better out of the box.
    Accuracy - equal in my opinion, my wife likes here RPR better.
    Magazine - the stock Magpuls are pretty good, AICS Magpuls seem to be a little better.

All said in done, I'm happy with the Stealth. I like to tinker and upgrading it was fun for me (though learning how to remove the buffer tube was ugly). Others will form their own opinion, and I'm sure those who dislike Savage will call it junk. To each their own - In my opinion it is a fine rifle. It will shoot 1/2 MOA, the only limit right now is my ability.

Likes Berger 130 OTM's with H4350 at 41.5gr. (need to fine tune) and Hornady 140 ELD-M with H4350 at 41.3gr.

I'll keep posting results as I tune loads and seating depth if nobody minds. My son is getting a lot better, with his 300 Win Mag he shot all in the black.

Thanks Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    Ugly or not as long as it shoots !

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Savage 1X/11X rifles have never been the most attractive guns anyway. They've always been sort of clunky and ungainly in a way that says "cheap" rather than "accurate". That we and a number of major manufacturers have come to know the 110 look as also being indicative of accuracy tells me that we'll probably end up seeing the Stealth the same way.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 07-10-2016 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Sorry, I was on the wrong page.

Sorry for the delay, was off visiting family.

The foam pad is aftermarket - Kel-Tec KSG Neoprene Cheek Pad, Various Thickness Available - Amazon item #B016TTG4OG - I went with 1/4", cost around12.50 with free S&H. Works nice, glue seems good so far.

The MBA-3 looks like a great stock. No personal experience but it's adjustments are based on MBA-1. Says it has anti-rattle screw, so as long as you get a repeatable snug shoulder and cheek weld it should do great. If you go that route, let us know how it did!
    Thanks for the reference on the cheek pad. I will have to check that out.

I'm going to try the MBA-3 since it doesn't involve the buffer tube and adapter swap that you had to do. Will update on how well it works.

Looking forward to your review.

Worked up 20 rounds of Berger 130 OTM with H4350 at 41.3, 41.5, 41.7 and 41.9. Hope to test Monday at 100 yds. Going to try to stabilize bench at local range to get more consistency. Hope one of these will improve on my .8 moa. Got sub 1/2 moa on a 3 shot group, widen to .8 with 5 shot.

Will post results

I know this is a dumb question, but what is the length of the barrel on your 6.5 stealth? Mine is 22" and the factory specs say 24". Are they making 2 different models?

Quote Originally Posted by samurai View Post
    I know this is a dumb question, but what is the length of the barrel on your 6.5 stealth? Mine is 22" and the factory specs say 24". Are they making 2 different models?
    Creedmoor 6.5 should be 24 "

Actually 26" is what I would have liked 🖒

Especially for long range shooting

Last edited by Kingair001; 07-17-2016 at 09:39 AM.

I just checked it again against my Ruger precision and it's 2" shorter. I will check the one (Savage) at the store this morning and measure it. This gun just came in last Wednesday.

Checked another in stock gun and it's 22" also- looks like I'm calling Savage tomorrow.

Checked another in stock gun and it's 22" also- looks like I'm calling Savage tomorrow.
    Strange that it's 22" . . .

Basic Member
    Yep mine is 22". No wonder my reloads are a little slow. Not cool Savage!

Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    Not at all !

Basic Member

Even Savage's website list the barrel length at 24". I called and a superviser is supposed to call me back. This makes me mad. I was annoyed that the scope mount had different size holes and was 0 MOA and not 20. But to screw up the barrel length is piss poor! The standard for 6.5 is 24".

Even Savage's website list the barrel length at 24". I called and a superviser is supposed to call me back. This makes me mad. I was annoyed that the scope mount had different size holes and was 0 MOA and not 20. But to screw up the barrel length is piss poor! The standard for 6.5 is 24".
    26" would even be better for long range shooting

The person I talked to Monday said a supervisor would call me in 24-48 hrs. Customer Service didn't seem to be aware of the issue and had to "download" the website page to show to her supervisor.

The person I talked to Monday said a supervisor would call me in 24-48 hrs. Customer Service didn't seem to be aware of the issue and had to "download" the website page to show to her supervisor.
    Maybe make a screenshot of it before the change it to 22" 😂

All of my distributors show it as 24", so I'm not too concerned if the website mysteriously changes.

All of my distributors show it as 24", so I'm not too concerned if the website mysteriously changes.
    I was just kidding

So now they are gonna send all owners a check or a new barrel I suppose ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
    I was just kidding

So now they are gonna send all owners a check or a new barrel I suppose ?

They should do something. I would like a new barrel. But I doubt they step up and do the right thing. We will see.
    Last edited by Draftpick; 07-19-2016 at 03:53 PM.

They should do something. I would like a new barrel. But I doubt they step up and do the right thing. We will see.
    Maybe see if they'll pay you a Hawk Hill Custom 😉

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast