Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Savage Stealth in 6.5 - First impressions.

Double checked my notes, 22" barrel also 2.26 CBTO with soft lands 2.25. That is pretty good that 2 barrel lengths have same measurement. Makes more confident in their QC.

I loaded 30 rounds tonight, 25 Berger. Held 2.1795 - 2.182, (had a little primer depth issue)90+% holding .015 variance. Started at 38.1 then 39, 40, 41, 41.5. Will see how they shoot. They fit easily in my Pmag. Once I get dialed in I'll try working more on seating depth.

Will be Tuesday before I can test.

The 24" barrel really shoots!

The 24" barrel really shoots. Took 5 foulng rounds, 5 factory ELD-M and 25 Berger 130 OTM rounds with CBTO of 2.18 with H4350 starting 5 rounds each of 39gr, 40gr, 41gr, 41.5gr.

Here are results:
    Factory 140 ELD-M Hornady Approx .8 MOA

Berger 130 OTM 2.18 CBTO, H4350 40 gr - 5 shot .554 MOA and 3 shot .302 MOA

Berger 130 OTM 2.18 CBTO, H4350 41 gr - 5 shot .583 MOA

Berger 130 OTM 2.18 CBTO, H4350 41.5 gr .86 MOA 5 Shot

Seem to like between 40 gr and 41 gr. Will work around 40 gr to see if it tightens up.

Very happy with the new barrel.

The Berger 130's shot well at Talladega, 90% x ring with other just outside the ring. Have to send scope in for repair, not adjusting elevation consistently.

My son in law has one and I like the stock but not the butt. Anyways after the long break in he insisted on it now coppers up like all savage barrels except it shoots decent groups at the 60 yd pistol range we broke her in at. I shot 3 into one hole with hornady cheap hunting ammo. I want him to get the match ammo to try ,then we or should I say I will reload for it. It shows good promise. If it were mine I would rebarrel with a criterion,mcgowen,x-caliber barrel so the copper mining can stop.LOL All in all it is one nice rifle, with the only problem is you have to really work the bolt harsh to feed smoothly. The mag lips are wearing and after a bit it may smooth out.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Your right about a firm bolt manipulation, feeds better, slow and easy gets more issues. I love this 24", not in a hurry to swap yet. The fit to finish is supposed to help some with coppering. Need to clean again after the 50 rounds, will see how it looks.

Have a 300WM that needs a REMAGE barrel, the remington shot out pretty quick. So that is next big purchase. Rate we shoot, this 6.5 barrel will be gone in about 12 months or so then will swap to one of the brands you mentioned.

Thanks

Basic Member
    When I talked to them 10 days ago they had just sent it to Fluting Dept. I then requested that they not flute the barrel, if it was not too late. Guess I was lucky this time. I now have an un-fluted barrel.

I noticed that the bolt action was not only stiff but also seemed to be grinding. (Almost like running your finger nails over a blackboard.) I disassembled the bolt and cleaned all parts with WD40. Wiped the parts dry and coated them with a fine layer of synthetic grease before re-assembling. The action is a lot smoother now. It takes more pressure to open and close the bolt as compared to my Browning rifles, but I understand that is the nature of the Savage Action.

Keith

Congrats on the new barrel, let us know how it shoots when you get back.

Any updates Keith A?

Kalison
    Really liked this thread. I went and bought one of these Stealths, and I gotta say I am pretty disappointed in it... and I haven't even fired it yet!

I can't get it to feed rounds through the magazine to save my life. It keeps getting nose down, butt up half way into the chamber and jammed. I let off the pressure just a bit and the round settles and I can chamber it like normal.

It will feed normally about 30% of the time going as slow as I can.. but in general it will end up butt up and stuck till I take tension off of the bolt.

SAVAGE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalison View Post
    Really liked this thread. I went and bought one of these Stealths, and I gotta say I am pretty disappointed in it... and I haven't even fired it yet!

I can't get it to feed rounds through the magazine to save my life. It keeps getting nose down, butt up half way into the chamber and jammed. I let off the pressure just a bit and the round settles and I can chamber it like normal.

It will feed normally about 30% of the time going as slow as I can.. but in general it will end up butt up and stuck till I take tension off of the bolt.

SAVAGE!!!!
    What mags are you using?

Kalison
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    What mags are you using?
    MDT Mag and PMAG AICS so far

Not a big fan of the mdt mag but the magpul AC mags are gtg
    May want to try a real AICS or accurate/metal Ruger gunsite mag.

Kalison
    I don't know that I will continue to spend money on this rifle being as this is a basic function that should not need any aftermarket attention, tweaking mag lips I am okay with. Then again there are plenty of rifles that feed without issues from different magazines.

I took it for sight in and barrel break in this morning, and it's going to be one hell of a shooter! I wasn't going for accuracy but groups started forming in the half MOA area easily, with a tweaked hand load and doing my part, I think it could actually get into 1/4 MOA.

Ejection was positive and repeatable (this is where I have heard Savage has the most problems, but good experience for me)

But, if I can't cycle the action at a decent cadence, it's not worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Basic Member

24" barrel range report

Finally got to the range with 50 handloads. Shoots pretty well, these are the 2 best groups, will refine further. Barrel now has 125 rounds through it. Little B brake shifted poi up about 2.5moa, elevation is now 10 clicks up from bottom of travel.

Not bad

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161011_085410.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	2219

Better

Name:	20161011_085443.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	2221
    Last edited by 19E60; 10-11-2016 at 12:40 PM.

Basic Member
    100 yds.

Not bad

Name:	20161011_085235_001.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	2223

Better

Name:	20161011_085216_001.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	2224
    Last edited by 19E60; 10-11-2016 at 12:34 PM.

19E60 - Good shooting

Kalison - with rifle shooting that well, it might be worth figuring out that jam. You tried PMag and the stock. both did the same? It it worth opening up the PMag and seeing if you see any catching on the spring? How many mags have you tried, is it consistent? The stock mag I dont like. It had issues, I don't have any issues with PMAG. Does the bolt catch the round really high, forcing round down? Had good luck with Savage doing my barrel, I'm sure they can fix for you. Just a suggestion.

Kalison
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    19E60 - Good shooting

Kalison - with rifle shooting that well, it might be worth figuring out that jam. You tried PMag and the stock. both did the same? It it worth opening up the PMag and seeing if you see any catching on the spring? How many mags have you tried, is it consistent? The stock mag I dont like. It had issues, I don't have any issues with PMAG. Does the bolt catch the round really high, forcing round down? Had good luck with Savage doing my barrel, I'm sure they can fix for you. Just a suggestion.
    Yeah the stock MDT Mag sucks pretty hard, the PMAG is a little better. I took the PMAG down to make sure it was working fine. Feeds in my 700 perfectly.

I have an AI mag coming Friday(hurt a little dropping 80 on a magazine.. ). I shall continue testing.

The chamber on mine has no chamfer or bevel on the breech, very sharp edge, which certainly wouldn't help soft brass trying to enter on anything but a perfectly straight line.

Seriously though, it shoots! A range officer was doing some random watching/spotting smiled and said "factory rifle my ass!"

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow, that is high praise from an RSO. Can you post your ramp and I'll check mine, sounds like that may be the issue.

Just got back from Talladega. Shot 200, 300 and 600. Will try and post pictures tomorrow. Used Magnetospeed on 40, 40.5, 41 & 4.15 H4350 on Berger 130 OTM. Best SD (7) on 40.5 and also best group. On 200 it was easy, 300 ditto. 600 was fun - once I realize ballistic computer was putting me above the target. Work on spotting through scope paid off and was able to see splash & dial in elevation correction. Once on worked on wind using mirage (newbie on that) and hold-over for wind. Managed to get some good (for me) shots, best ever for me.
    The RTO recommended a die with mandrel to lower SD's from Brownell's, will give it a try.
    Did spend some time truing scope to rifle. More I shoot the Stealth, the more I am impressed by it. Wife used her RPR and tested 40, 40.5, 41 and 41.5 her rifle likes 40 and 41.5 gr using Berger 130 OTM.
    My son shot his 300 WM using Hornady 150 Whitetail (ran out of reloads). He did very well including his first reading of mirage and making wind calls. At 300 he was right on and at 600 he was in the black on all rounds fired. Pretty proud of him. The 300 WM has no break, a lot of rifle for a 17 year old.

Was asked - why Berger 130's instead of ELD-m 140's. My thoughts based on my rifle:
    1. 130's shoot 1/2 moa (roughly) which is best I can currently do.
    2. 140 ELD-M's have not proven to do as well for me
    3. Savage said they used 120's to test Stealth, so they tend a little lighter.
    4. I really like Berger quality
    5. The 130 OTM is a multipurpose round which is not real depth sensitize and works in PMag magazines
    6. With being multi-purpose they work for target, but also hunting and tactical, so a good all purpose round.
    As it stands I've pretty much standardized on Berger for my bolt rifles. With merging with makers of Lapua, I can see some top rate future combinations. Have some 185 OTM and .338 OTM (can't remember weight of top of my head, 300 maybe). So same class bullet to base learning and practice on.

Seriously considering selling my Remington 700p and Savage FCP 338 and buying Stealth 300 WM & 338 so all are common platform. Thought is common platform makes moving from rifle to rifle easier and making practice with lighter 6.5 carry over well to other calibers.

Comments?

Just my opinion. Lot better shooters and reloaders out there that may have more valid opinions.

lwood
    I'm a little late to the party but I picked up my Stealth yesterday!! 1st thing I did was measure the barrel and from bolt face to crown it's 24". Waiting on my Viper PST 6X24 and I'll be ready.

Basic Member
    I'm Back......

Haven't gotten to the point yet where I can shoot the gun. Still cleaning things up. Will explain soon.

By the way,,,, While cleaning the bore on Saturday, I measured a twist rate of 7 1/2" (using my Dewey rod and a brass brush). (I repeated the process several times.) Savage advertising specs an 8" twist rate. Would be interested in seeing what you guys measure......

Keith

Interesting, how do you perform the measurement and I'll try it out. Never did a twist rate measurement.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBryars2 View Post
    Interesting, how do you perform the measurement and I'll try it out. Never did a twist rate measurement.
    See: http://www.bergerbullets.com/wp_supe...-in-my-barrel/

Keith

P.S. This will be my last post until after the election, maybe. If H. wins, our 2nd Amendment rights will be gone in less than 5 years. Doesn't make sense to post what you got on Internet forums like this one......

Thanks for link understand what you are saying.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast